Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher 3 Preview at PC Gamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

PC Gamer's Tom Senior was given the opportunity to play a demo version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and wrote about his experience in a three page article, written in a narrative format. The article is utterly saturated with hype, but it does convey a snapshot of what the game will be like that previous features haven't really been able to. Here's an excerpt:

We’re in the giant’s lair. The beast is curled up in a corner, safely asleep, but a man is shouting loudly, apparently unconcerned about waking the thing. It’s Crach’s son, trapped in a cage. I’m starting to suspect he may be some sort of idiot.​

Geralt can choose to free him right away, or let him rot for a while. The choice will alter how the Jarl’s son perceives him later in the game, and will have significant consequences when the question of the Jarl’s successor eventually arises. In The Witcher 2, the repercussions of your choices dramatically shaped its three insular acts. Badowski suggests that consequences in the Witcher 3 will be more localised, but just as significant. Geralt will cross the battle lines of the burgeoning war often during his travels, and Badowski hints that entire towns could be razed, or saved, depending on Geralt’s actions. Over the course of the 80-hour adventure, your choices will build towards one of three different endings.​

Lukasz chooses to free the Jarl’s son, who charges across the cave screaming and kicks the giant in the head. Oh good, he’s a maniac. Geralt reaches wearily for one of his blades. Silver for monsters.​

The giant fights with the lumbering, graceless enthusiasm you’d expect from a barely intelligent creature with arms longer than his legs. Geralt spins and rolls around the towering clod, dodging lanky blows and striking back with the occasional flash of the sword. The giant stamps to dislodge some ceiling rocks. Then he tears the anchor off a nearby boat and starts wielding it like a huge flail. This is a prescribed boss fight, but these behaviours are dynamic AI decisions. If you run across a giant in the wild, he’ll start looking for ways to use the environment against you. Monster behaviour is even affected by the dynamic weather system. Certain creatures will swarm at night, and werewolves grow in strength beneath a full moon.​

The anchor does little to improve the giant’s chances. Geralt cuts the creature down with a few vigorous stabs, and with a deep, sad gurgling noise, the giant expires. The screen goes dark. It’s over.​

But there’s so much more to see. The snowy Nordic environments of the Skellige islands will draw justifiable comparisons to Skyrim, but that’s just a portion of The Witcher 3’s world. There are haunted badlands brimming with creatures inspired by Slavic folk tales. There’s a huge city called Novigrad, packed with enough assassins and scheming politicians to fill a Game of Thrones novel.​

OMG exciting.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
I like the Witcher series despite itself...for some reason I always feel like whatever decline seeps into their games is unintentional, as opposed to the deliberately implemented decline of say a BioWare title.

maybe its just German guilt though.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It all sounds like cool (standard PR) stuff but...

Combat looks similar to the combo-heavy third-person brawls of The Witcher 2, but the developers insist that they’ve focused strongly on improving the heft and responsiveness of fights. You still combine quick and heavy strikes into killer combos, but each click is tied to a single blow to stop Geralt from windmilling wildly into the bushes.

Don't tell me they took the QTE brawls from TW2 as the model for their combat system. o_O

A selection of dainty pirouettes should put an end to the endless roll-dodging of the second game, and Geralt will case foes at a more measured pace before lashing out, adding some much needed structure to the flashy but sloppy duels of the second game.

Now this could indicate a major :incline:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The giant fights with the lumbering, graceless enthusiasm you’d expect from a barely intelligent creature with arms longer than his legs. Geralt spins and rolls around the towering clod...
Of course he does.​

The giant stamps to dislodge some ceiling rocks. Then he tears the anchor off a nearby boat and starts wielding it like a huge flail. This is a prescribed boss fight, but these behaviours are dynamic AI decisions. If you run across a giant in the wild, he’ll start looking for ways to use the environment against you.
Scripted events are scripted.​

The anchor does little to improve the giant’s chances.
Naturally. It's useless against rolling.​

There’s a huge city called Novigrad, packed with enough assassins and scheming politicians to fill a Game of Thrones novel.
That actually sounds cool (if done well).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't tell me they took the QTE brawls from TW2 as the model for their combat system. o_O
TW2 had...what...2 QTEs? It is unacceptable.

Combat looks similar to the combo-heavy third-person brawls of The Witcher 2
Don't tell me that you interpret this as a QTE heavy combat system!

Mrowak

Arcane
The giant fights with the lumbering, graceless enthusiasm you’d expect from a barely intelligent creature with arms longer than his legs. Geralt spins and rolls around the towering clod...
Of course he does.​

The giant stamps to dislodge some ceiling rocks. Then he tears the anchor off a nearby boat and starts wielding it like a huge flail. This is a prescribed boss fight, but these behaviours are dynamic AI decisions. If you run across a giant in the wild, he’ll start looking for ways to use the environment against you.
Scripted events are scripted.​

The anchor does little to improve the giant’s chances.
Naturally. It's useless against rolling.​

Behold, after a torrent of incessant whining on their forums there shall be no rolling anymore:​

A selection of dainty pirouettes should put an end to the endless roll-dodging of the second game, and Geralt will case foes at a more measured pace before lashing out, adding some much needed structure to the flashy but sloppy duels of the second game.

Of course, there is going to be a dodge function, though. :troll:

There’s a huge city called Novigrad, packed with enough assassins and scheming politicians to fill a Game of Thrones novel.
That actually sounds cool (if done well).[/quote]

That's the thing with TW... it's not a particularly good series of games - it's only strength comes from the fact that they are the only ones that attempt such approach.

Mrowak

Arcane
TW2 had...what...2 QTEs? It is unacceptable.

Read what they/I wrote. QTE brawls. You know, that annoying, simplistic minigame that cropped up around every corner.

Combat looks similar to the combo-heavy third-person brawls of The Witcher 2
Don't tell me that you interpret this as a QTE heavy combat system!

Indeed, I do. But I hope it's just bad wording on PC Gamer's part.

Murk

Arcane
I have no idea what to think of this game. I just keep thinking "it's gonna be a third person Skyrim with maybe better quests and more profanity."

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
I wonder if it has occurred to the CDPR guys that they could double their sales if they gave Geralt a customizable appearance...hell they could triple it if they allowed you to choose a gender (Geraldine anyone?).

Polish people hate money though.

edit: also, gay sex is huge now. Would definitely win over a lot of people with that option.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Why can't anyone make ARPG combat as awesome as Gothic 1 and 2 did?

Wild-Boar-Sow-ij-the-Fore-007.jpg

Game over man... game over.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought the books were about Geralt? (I'm not a polack)

And that's the fucking problem. The story is over. Everything - EVERYTHING - has been resolved.
It's like Bilbo returning to Shire after LotR (with amnesia) to fuck bitches and kick some major ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom