Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News A new East vs West dev diary is up

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: East vs. West; Paradox Interactive

Paradox' upcoming take on the Cold War sheds some light on politics in this dev diary. What I personally like is that East vs. West also takes into account such things like national identity and elections.

People now have a culture and a religion, but what would they wish from their nation? What would they want you as to focus on and how? Some nations aspire for territory, like for example Israel in 1948 and thus have a national identity linked to territorial expansion, while at the same time your people could also have an attitude towards the rest of the world which can range from imperialism to non-interventionism. Combined with culture and religion, these factors make up for a quite detailed description about how the country will appear and act in the game world. Once again, your ethics and your ability to form a political strategy will be tested. Will you be a loving parent or a monster or perhaps both? We supply you with the tools to make the laws to discipline your people’s desires or help them achieve their ambitions.​

Do still wonder how they want to portray all those little brush fire wars in Africa and something like the Vietnam war.

Thanks to Hellraiser for pointing this one out to me!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One thing that would be really cool is someone making an alternative startdate in the flavour of Shattered World from Supreme Ruler.

It's good that they used Israel as the example, it gives some hope that they're focusing more on the non-superpowers with the game (since it's let's face, both Kwa and USSR are going to be BORING mode of the game, and have the potential to ruin the game for all the fun countries).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
since it's let's face, both Kwa and USSR are going to be BORING mode of the game

Unless you intentionally cause Ultimate Nuclear ITZ or start in a post-nuclear alternate history scenario mod or something.
Oh yes... Assuming it's possible. That might be pretty nice. Though you'd still need something that can break up those states, it's no fun if Kwa and USSR are territorially united after a nuclear exchange.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
One thing that would be really cool is someone making an alternative startdate in the flavour of Shattered World from Supreme Ruler.

It's good that they used Israel as the example, it gives some hope that they're focusing more on the non-superpowers with the game (since it's let's face, both Kwa and USSR are going to be BORING mode of the game, and have the potential to ruin the game for all the fun countries).
If the superpowers are boring then the game is a failure. There should be plenty of opportunity to make playing the big guys interesting, as you jockey for position while trying to avoid triggering global thermonuclear war.
The Cold War really is the story of the USA and the USSR, and if they are not interesting to play then East vs West is not a Cold War game.

And this is why this is the upcoming paradox title I'm least excited by. I'm worried it will play mostly like a reskinned HoI with a longer timeline.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
since it's let's face, both Kwa and USSR are going to be BORING mode of the game

Unless you intentionally cause Ultimate Nuclear ITZ or start in a post-nuclear alternate history scenario mod or something.
Oh yes... Assuming it's possible. That might be pretty nice. Though you'd still need something that can break up those states, it's no fun if Kwa and USSR are territorially united after a nuclear exchange.

The devs already confirmed that nuclear war isnt game over and its possible for nations to break up. So your idea is viable.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just don't think the nature of the Cold War lends itself to the standard Paradox globe spanning engine. I'd much rather a quality enhancement of something like Shadow President or Balance of Power. This 'war' was always more about higher strategic jockeying for influence and economic competition, the actual hot wars were in the grand scheme of things mere sideshows. I mean the Soviet backed groups won most of the time around the globe and the bulk of nations were supportive of the Soviets(particularly the post colonial states) yet in the end they still lost.

In a Paradox version I can just see something like Vietnam degenerate into a unit spam where the US player will just make a few dozen divisions and swamp the handful of North Vietnamese provinces. If it tries to script limits with an event system, that will be just a cheap artificial attempt to negate a logical(within the confines of the game) strategy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom