Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Podcasts

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Since there's apparently not going to be a Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update today, I thought I'd take the opportunity to link to two recent Torment-related podcasts.

The first podcast is an hour-long interview with Colin McComb at the blog Transmissions from the Ninth World, which as you might have guessed, is dedicated to Numenera podcasts. It's an eclectic interview, in which Colin tells the entire story of his career, from his beginnings at TSR all the way up to the Kickstarter.

The most interesting part is Colin's description of the early beginnings of the Torment project. Apparently, Chris Avellone and superfan Steven Dengler spent months trying unsuccessfully to convince Wizards of the Coast to license the Planescape setting. And after Brian Fargo got involved, Colin and Adam Heine had actually considered rolling up their own setting for the game, before Monte Cook showed up on the scene with Numenera. Another interesting reveal from the interview is that the player character's Legacies will determine his focus and descriptor. The focus and descriptor may even change as the player character's Legacies shift over the course of the game.

The second podcast is an interview with Brian Fargo on the radio show Video Game Sophistry. It begins at around the 24:30 mark of that episode and lasts about 18 minutes. Alternatively, you can just listen to it on YouTube:

It's a general interview about the game and the Kickstarter campaign. One thing worth noting is that Brian emphasizes twice over the course of the interview that certain dialogues in Torment will be "like battles".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just finished listening to this (the one with Fargo). Nothing really new to me, but just a good basic wrap up of torment as well as the KS process. Worth it if you want info on that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Colin McComb interview is really good. He talks about helping Qwinn with the Unfinished Business patch, heh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh wow, the story of the project's genesis is pretty amazing. Apparently MCA and Steven Dengler actually spent a few months last year trying to convince WotC to license the Planescape setting. That was all before Brian Fargo decided to make a Torment game of his own. At one point (after Brian had decided to make a Torment game) they even considered rolling up their own setting, and then Monte Cook and Numenera showed up. What a perfect storm. :salute:

hiver

One thing worth noting is that Brian emphasizes twice over the course of the interview that certain dialogues in Torment will be "like battles".

A- ha! Notch one point for me. heh heh.

:incline: of Hiver.

-edit- you know? that modest good looking fellow.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Colin gives Thomas Beekers a shoutout. Is he allowed to say we now?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Heh, no wonder they found that WotC announcement so amusing.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
BeakerHoneydew460.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The funny thing is, years ago, when I learned of Brother None's real name, that was the first image in my mind. :lol:

(Sorry BN) :(

Dakion

Barely Literate
*snip*While they don't really contain any new information about the game*snip*

Sooooo, that's not entirely true ;)

Hey it's Dave, the co-host of TF9W and founder of Ninthworldhub.com

Thanks for the shout out about the podcast.

Dakion

Barely Literate
That podcast was a lot of fun.

It was fun because you were enthusiastic and very candid. And I'm sure Infinitron's description of the podcast as 'eclectic' rest wholly on your shoulders. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom