Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #47: Josh Sawyer's Odds and Ends

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

Josh Sawyer has penned a new development update for Obsidian's Project Eternity, having to do mainly with building the prototype, which is what they're busy with at the moment. Have a snippet:

9694.jpg

We've got a lot of things in progress on Project Eternity right now. As Darren wrote in the last update, we're winding down our first prototype. We just did an audit of the work that remains from the first prototype and where we will be going with the next prototype. Our first prototype allowed us to prove a lot of the basics of movement, character design, stealth, combat controls, inventory, resting, quests, scripted skill interactions, dialogue, status effects, and the ability and spell systems. There's still a lot of work to do on all of those elements, but by the end of the prototype, it really did have "that IE feel". How I organized and moved my characters, how I used them differently in combat, how I explored areas very much captured the feeling of the Infinity Engine games in gorgeous high-res environments.

So where do we go from here? First, we're going to try another approach to building interior environments to make sure we can capture as much of the organic feeling of the classic levels as we can. Second, we're going to continue to build up the dynamic elements of environment to make them feel more alive. We already have dynamic water, but we have more work to do on with elements like trees, grass, ambient visual effects, and our day/night cycle. We'll be showing you the results of those experiments in two weeks. Third, we're going to continue to develop more advanced gameplay features like fog of war, character voice sets, crafting, stores, AI patrols, and the melee engagement system.

In case you're wondering about the story, we've been working on both a lot lately as well. We really want Project Eternity to strike the right balance of elements: to introduce you to this new setting, to make you feel personally invested in your choices, to engage you with the personalities and factions involved in the conflict, and to give you all of the freedom you've come to expect from an Obsidian RPG. It's a long process, but we're feeling very positive and excited about where we're going, which is always a good thing.

Thanks for reading and, as always, thanks for your continued support. I'll be back in two weeks to show you our exterior environment running with all the bells and whistles in place!​

The update also introduces the Planescape: Torment retrospective "featuring developer diaries and blogs from many of the original developers" (as a reward to all P:E backers) and the Dwarven Forge's Game Tiles Kickstarter campaign, which the folks at Obsidian want you to support.

Read the update in full here.

Borelli

Arcane
a) Use your agility to jump over the broken bridge
b) Pray for a saint
c) Use an alchemical potion
d) Use your artifice skill to build a new bridge
e) Throw a rope that you have in inventory
f) Using your ride skill, make your horse jump over the broken bridge

hiver

No need to build a bridge. A sturdy plank is enough. Or several tree branches.

Borelli

Arcane
g) use your woodwise to chop some trees and make some planks to make a makeshift bridge
h) use your strength to toss a dwarf:smug:

Snikt

Novice
That image is very Darklands-like, not just the style but also the CYOA text choices it looks like it's about to display.

I don't know anything about history, but also those armors also look late-medieval. I was expecting this game to basically be not-forgotten realms

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh said a while ago he was going to incorporate Darklands-style textual menus in the game. I didn't expect to see them this soon, though.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I gotta say that the Darklands influence on gameplay and presentation makes this game almost too good to be true in my eyes. Hype increased over 9000. Please deliver, Obsidian!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
uggghhh, TB purity mode endangered; activating ignore mode

that style of text quest p. much means that the overworld map has more than just combat encounters and that there is likely to be a large variety, which is definite incline over IE (though fallout was nice about that)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That image is very Darklands-like, not just the style but also the CYOA text choices it looks like it's about to display.

I don't know anything about history, but also those armors also look late-medieval. I was expecting this game to basically be not-forgotten realms

The Project Eternity setting has guns.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

The Project Eternity setting has guns.

Not only that, but those armors display a level of authenticity that i've failed to see in any FR game.

Snikt

Novice
I hope that the text choices have some RPG-ness about them, as in if you decide to jump across the bridge it rolls [dexterity], [agility], [athleticism] or whatever.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So full of IE feels. Better than that feel when no IE. Or an Arcanum update for that matter, damnit the video already's been recorded. Rip off that bandaid.

Hormalakh

Magister
The Darklands stuff is giving me a HUGE boner.

:bounce:
I came last night.
uggghhh, TB purity mode endangered; activating ignore mode
What? We've known it's going to be RTwP since day one.
I think he meant he can't be a TB purist anymore because this game is looking too good to ignore.

High hopes for this game... high hopes. Don't let us down Sawyer. Prove the naysayers wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom