Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #10: Mur Lafferty video and a ton of add-ons

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Mur Lafferty; Torment: Tides of Numenera

This week's first Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update is out. You know the drill by now - here's what it contains.

The series of videos about Torment continues in this update, with a new episode featuring writer Mur Lafferty. She has a bit to say about Torment's companions in general, and about two specific companions, the Cold Calculating Jack and the Toy, in particular. She's also fond of fade cuts.

The update also reports that the crowdfunding campaign has surpassed 3.1 million dollars (including PayPal) and 54,000 backers, thus unlocking both the Dendra O'hur cult stretch goal and the fourth Fathom of Castoff's Labyrinth. Here's the image of the fourth Fathom:

3tVuboe.png

The meat of the update, however, is the extensive assortment of physical add-ons that inXile have made available. You can now get Torment T-shirts, posters, novellas and even a First Castoff statuette as add-ons, without pledging to the corresponding tiers. Even more physical goodies will become available at inXile's own backer store after the Kickstarter campaign has concluded.

Personally, however, I would recommend donating any excess funds you may have in your possession to our prestigious Codex fundraiser instead. :smug:

Weasel
You can now get Torment T-shirts, posters, novellas and even a First Castoff statuette as add-ons

Still waiting for opportunist lawsuit from owners of Planescape:Torment IP.

Duraframe300

Arcane

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
InXile seems to have a pretty good mix of people writing this thing. I'm sensing large amounts of incline here.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can now get Torment T-shirts, posters, novellas and even a First Castoff statuette as add-ons

You mean Brian Fargo suing himself?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-rights-to-torment-but-not-planescape.78474/

That'd be sweet.

Planescape: Torment

At least I think he meant it like that.

What does Planescape have to do with this particular Torment game so Wizards could sue InXile over it?

norolim

Arcane
Quite a substantial update there, from Lafferty, I enjoyed listening to her. The Toy is shaping into a very interesting concept. The rest of the update is meh, though.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I want one of those fucking statues but I don't want to pay a fucking gazillion fucking dollars for it you fucking shithead inXile pieces of shit!

:x
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I want one of those fucking statues but I don't want to pay a fucking gazillion fucking dollars for it you fucking shithead inXile pieces of shit!

:x
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

Yes, it is the first statue from computer games I would gladly put on my desk without embarrassment. Sadly 2000$ is no go for me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No joke, I am halfway worried this Rothfuss nastybeard will make the pledges slow down.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No joke, I am halfway worried this Rothfuss nastybeard will make the pledges slow down.
His presence actually bumped up the pledge rate before Avellone really bumped them up. Plenty of fantasy trash-loving readers out there.

Duraframe300

Arcane

You mean Brian Fargo suing himself?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-rights-to-torment-but-not-planescape.78474/

That'd be sweet.

Planescape: Torment

At least I think he meant it like that.

What does Planescape have to do with this particular Torment game so Wizards could sue InXile over it?

Planescape: Torment is an IP in itself. Having a game named Torment (and marketing itself out as a successor) may be reason to sue. Remember Notch's Scrolls and Bethesda? There was less reason.

Not gonna happen though, and I don't think Wizards would invest the lawyers or the time.

Syl

Cipher
Planescape: Torment is an IP in itself. Having a game named Torment (and marketing itself out as a successor) may be reason to sue. Remember Notch's Scrolls and Bethesda? There was less reason.
In before Bioware lawsuit because TORment.

:retarded:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Planescape: Torment is an IP in itself.

Are you sure there is such an IP - and if there is, who owns it? Pardon my ignorance, but I thought there were just two separate IPs, the Planescape IP owned by WotC and the Torment IP now owned by Fargo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bee, I think there's some confusion here between the notions of trademarks and intellectual property.

If the new Torment is deemed too obviously similar to and derivative of the original one, WotC could sue for IP infringement. It's about the content of the game, not its name.

Brian Fargo has the rights to use the name "Torment" although there may well be a separate Planescape Torment trademark.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think they're safe until they start putting "Planescape" on t-shirts.
On a side note, I can't find my original PST t-shirt. So sad. :(

I liked what Mur Lafferty said about companions, the Toy seems neat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom