Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment News Roundup: Brian Fargo interview, First Castoff statuette, Mark Morgan music

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Kickstarter; Mark Morgan; Torment: Tides of Numenera

It's been relatively quiet on the Torment: Tides of Numenera news front as inXile prepare for their next, apparently exciting update. There have been a few minor things, though.

Brian Fargo was interviewed by videogame marketing website thealistdaily, where he spoke a bit about the marketing and project management aspects of Torment and Kickstarter in general. Here's an excerpt:

[a]list: What are your views on Kickstarter as not just a funding platform for games, but one where game makers can test the waters for what players want?​

Brian Fargo: People have often talked about Kickstarter fatigue but instead I saw that as crowd funding doing its job. In conversation, people will often tell you how excited they are about a concept or how badly they want a sequel, but the rubber meets the road when it comes down to people voting with their money. And the process has a secondary effect of having the gamers more invested - financially and emotionally - such that we have a strong dialogue about what the game becomes. This is the paradigm for future development as far as I’m concerned.​

[a]list: What about as a marketing platform, do you think getting visibility during a successful Kickstarter campaign can translate into broader interest and sales momentum when the game ships?​

Brian Fargo: And yes another benefit of having all these great people behind a game is the word of mouth that spreads purely on the game itself. No marketing jargon or false hype but pure organic and viral communication. Once again I see a shift away from the old days when people ran marketing campaigns to trick people into buying bad games for a few weeks. With crowd funding you have a large body of people who were part of its creation from day one.​

[a]list: Based on what you’ve seen on Kickstarter, is it a setback for creators who don’t get funded the first time or is it ‘if at first you don’t succeed, try again’?​

Brian Fargo: I believe a creator can take another go at Kickstarter so long as they were 100 percent honest and transparent when they tried the first time. It may well have been that they only failed because concept was not strong enough. I had a friend of mine launch an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign based on a concept that was not really in his wheelhouse. I told him it that it was like going to a concert for my favorite band only to have them play all new material. You need to focus on delivering what the audience would like to see.​

I wonder who that friend was.

Brian also posted a photo of the First Castoff statuette, which is one of the rewards for the game's $2000 tier. And he sent Kotaku (grrr) a new Mark Morgan track entitled "The Bloom", which is presumably the theme for that location in the game. You can bypass Kotaku and access the music directly here. It's pretty awesome - any chance of a Youtube version, inXile?

Finally, a reminder that the Torment Reddit AMA is today at 16:00 GMT. In addition to the inXile staff, the always enthusiastic Steven Dengler will also be participating.

Update: The Penny Arcade Report has posted a second interview with Colin McComb. This one's mainly about one of the Codex's "favorite" topics:

Torment won't allow you to craft your own character from scratch in the way we've become accustomed to in games like Skyrim.​

“As with the original Torment we are telling a specific story, and that requires a specific character. The player will have a choice of genders in the game, and it will have some impact in the reactivity of the world,” McComb explained. “This is a billion years in the future, so I don’t think there will be much reactivity of people saying that you’re a woman, and you’re not capable of… there’s a billion years of gender equality.”​

Outside of the choice of gender, which will change the game in certain ways, you'll not be able to make your own, personal character. “We’re not going to customize the looks. This is primarily an internal journey. It’s not dress-up,” McComb said.​

This leads to an interesting question: If we're billions of years in the future, with all the social change that goes along with it, will the game support same-sex couples? When I asked this there was a long pause.​

“We do plan to have relationships in the game. I don’t know if we’re necessarily approaching romance, at least not in the way it’s been explored in games recently. There’s a lot more to the word love than simple flesh coupling,” McComb explained. “That’s frankly the aspect of it that’s least interesting when you get right down to it. It’s the interpersonal intimacy. It’s learning the depth and turmoil of another person that I think is more fascinating. That’s the aspect we want to explore with relationships with people.”​

"Flesh coupling", how quaint.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo said:
I had a friend of mine launch an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign based on a concept that was not really in his wheelhouse.
I'm guessing Guido Henkel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo said:
I had a friend of mine launch an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign based on a concept that was not really in his wheelhouse.

I don't think they're really friends at this point. Also, Thorvalla technically was in Guido's "wheelhouse".

It might have been Chris Taylor.

CWagner

Augur
What, no mention of Richard Garriott on why “most game designers really just suck”?

Chris Roberts, who worked with Garriott back when Origin Systems was producing both Ultima and Wing Commander, isn’t Garriott’s only exception—he also identified Will Wright and Peter Molyneux as examples of quality game designers. The majority, however, become designers because they lack other skills, according to Garriott’s analysis.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What, no mention of Richard Garriott on why “most game designers really just suck”?

Chris Roberts, who worked with Garriott back when Origin Systems was producing both Ultima and Wing Commander, isn’t Garriott’s only exception—he also identified Will Wright and Peter Molyneux as examples of quality game designers. The majority, however, become designers because they lack other skills, according to Garriott’s analysis.

We have a thread for that: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...h-most-game-designers-really-just-suck.81467/

This thread is about Torment.

Maybe we'll give that piece of idiocy its own newspost later, although I really don't feel like wasting effort on it.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Brian Fargo said:

I don't think they're really friends at this point. Also, Thorvalla technically was in Guido's "wheelhouse".

It might have been Chris Taylor.
the Wildman KS was a spectacular train wreck in slow motion...but who the hell can look away when a grown ass man suffers such a very public breakdown? In between the "awe" I actually felt sorry for the poor bastard. He probably either pulled himself up by his bootstraps and is detailing cars for a living now or is gently rocking back and forth on his porch with a dead stare in his eyes occasionally muttering to himself what might have been.

and Guido/Fargo are def not brofisting each other, hell from the very informative pieces of dirt you gents have dug up i get the impression he resents not being able to have ridden the "Blizzard wave to fortune and glory" because he instead accepted a job to work at Interplay...now he's stuck pushing limp-dick ideas to fans who don't really give a fuck.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
“This is a billion years in the future, so I don’t think there will be much reactivity of people saying that you’re a woman, and you’re not capable of… there’s a billion years of gender equality.”
:bounce:

Gozma

Arcane
Jesus, "flesh coupling." I thought "relationships of the flesh" was mannered.

Next: meat junctioning, gonadal juxtaposition

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
I've been getting a lot of questions about this (updated my Formspring!), so here's one of our guideposts, by Numenera writer/editor Shanna Germain: http://shannagermain2.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/why-i-love-building-the-ninth-world/

Basically, yes, there will be non-straight relationships in the world. No, we won't make a big deal about them, just like we don't make a big deal about straight relationships. And no, we're not planning sex scenes.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer

I was going to say, "We're not going to have any fucking." And then the tiny Kevin angel on my shoulder harrumphed at me.

Kirtai

Augur

I was going to say, "We're not going to have any fucking." And then the tiny Kevin angel on my shoulder harrumphed at me.
I have to admit that "flesh coupling" manages to sound even ruder and cruder than fucking without actually crossing the line of being offensive. Bravo :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I've been getting a lot of questions about this (updated my Formspring!), so here's one of our guideposts, by Numenera writer/editor Shanna Germain: http://shannagermain2.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/why-i-love-building-the-ninth-world/

Basically, yes, there will be non-straight relationships in the world. No, we won't make a big deal about them, just like we don't make a big deal about straight relationships. And no, we're not planning sex scenes.

What are you planning to do after Formspring goes down? It seems the Obsidian guys (or at least Josh Sawyer) are migrating to tumblr.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
tumblr kind of sucks for Q&A I've noticed because you can't comment on the answers. Unless I'm missing something.

MasPingon

Arcane
They got to watch their language, even now. Do you remember all the commotion about Colin McComb saying 'just another interactive movie' instead of 'cinematic experience'? Yeah, they are still in there.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

I think you should use a different term each time there is the need to refer to it.

Suggestions:

'Sorry, no carnal escapades in this game, but we will...'
'There won't be any fleshly funky business, but we...'
'Don't get me wrong, sexual healin' is out, but...'
'Do not expect to turn to your NPC partner and go, 'awww, suki suki now, baby', but...'
'The PC won't be putting on any Marvin Gaye records, but...'
''Jumping bones' won't be a possibility in the game, per say, whether it involves necromancy or not, but...'

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer

I think you should use a different term each time there is the need to refer to it.

Suggestions:

'Sorry, no carnal escapades in this game, but we will...'
'There won't be any fleshly funky business, but we...'
'Don't get me wrong, sexual healin' is out, but...'
'Do not expect to turn to your NPC partner and go, 'awww, suki suki now, baby', but...'
'The PC won't be putting on any Marvin Gaye records, but...'
''Jumping bones' won't be a possibility in the game, per say, whether it involves necromancy or not, but...'

:bro:

Every time I have an interview I am going to refer to this list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom