Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #46: Prototype Demo Incoming

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

This week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update is yet another one of those "update before the updates". It reports that Project Eternity is reaching the end of its "Prototype phase". Over the next two weeks a prototype demo will be assembled that will demonstrate, among other things, an animated version of the background from last year's screenshot. Here's the full explanation from the update:

We’re coming to the end of the Prototype phase. While you might think of a prototype as something you would consider before making a game, in our case, we use the term to mean a demonstration of the game that, when successful, demonstrates the game’s vision (AKA “pillars”) and concept. For Eternity, one of our biggest pillars is to recreate the Infinity Engine experience. To that end, we need to have a number of key things in place to make sure our prototype is a success. Things like:
  • Character movement and combat. We want to make sure we have a party of up to six characters, each of whom can be moved independently and/or as a group, which does then imply rudimentary support for formations as well as NPC and basic creature AI. Basic AI meaning to ‘see’ the characters, face them, and then move to them and start attacking. This also means we need character models that have enough animations to demonstrate this convincingly, as well as at least one monster. For our prototype demo, we have one known only as “Chompy” for now. More on him (or her?!) in future updates!
  • Basic RPG mechanics. We need to prove that we’re making an RPG here obviously! We need basics like loot management; for instance, inventory and opening containers like chests. We need basic conversations and quest giving, including receiving a quest, tracking its progress, and then providing a reward for it being completed.
  • Environments. We want to have a working outdoor area as well as a tileset-based interior that the player can move between and throughout. This makes us prove out area transitions too (I can hear it now, “YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH...”)
For our outdoor area (see screenshot above), we’re bringing life to it by not only building out the rest of the level, but getting our technological solutions in place. We have a working waterfall now, with moving water, replete with foam around the rocks(!) and more.​

Besides a non-animated preview of the animated scene(?!), the update also has a new piece of concept art of an interior location:

pe-interior-concept-wip.jpg

Project Eternity's next phase of development will be the "Vertical Slice" phase, during which the development team will be expanded and a more fully-fledged demo (akin to what we saw in the recently released Wasteland 2 gameplay video, I assume) will be created. Apparently, two longtime Obsidian designers have come on board the project already.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm awaiting the butthurt.

Butthurt? Well, I'm assuming that in terms of "polishedness" this prototype will be somewhere between the original Wasteland 2 video that everybody was butthurt about ("WASTELAND 2 WILL NEVER LOOK AS GOOD AS LEGEND OF EISENWALD!") and the more recent Wasteland 2 gameplay video.

But they do warn about that ahead of time:

Produce a Final “Slice” of Gameplay. We also try to develop a ‘final slice’ of gameplay. It’s generally a short, maybe 5-15 minute demo that demonstrates all of the core pillars of the game, as well as taken to what we’re aiming for at a final quality level in terms of visuals, audio, and presentation. During our Prototype we try to make stuff look great, but it’s secondary to form and feel.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
"Periodically throughout the rest of the project, we’ll have a number of weeks where we’ll ‘be dark’ (or rather more succinctly, "won't have an update" :)) due to a variety of reasons, and next week is one of those instances. Don’t worry though, we will most certainly be working on the game"

[...]

"Happy St. Paddy’s Day!"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That's fine. I feel they should post less updates, and save them for big more info updates personally.

kaizoku

Arcane
We have a working waterfall now, with moving water, replete with foam around the rocks(!) and more.
Will the rocks be erodible? :smug:

Looking forward to see that gameplay/demo video.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
oh thank you obsidian for yet another update with fucking low res good-for-nothing artwork
fuck
give me something to wallpaper

hiver

:Wakes up on a chair!:

What..hey that looks nice... what? torment update?
:picks up pants and runs off in other direction!:

4too

Arcane
Kickstart For An Augmented Reality

PlanHex said:
Infinitron said:
I wonder if "Chompy" will be a dinosaur.

I wonder if it will be a shaved cat that sorta looks like a dinosaur /obscurewebcomicreference

Don't dangle in dampened anticipation. For your action satisfaction: spawn of true romance!
photo-main.jpg

T. Rex as virtual pet, another tease @ http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nnosaurus-rex-augmented-reality-virtu?ref=tag

Reptilian consummation is just a click away!

4too

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Basic RPG mechanics. We need to prove that we’re making an RPG here obviously! We need basics like loot management; for instance, inventory and opening containers like chests.
Hmm, looks like Obsidian and Harebrained Schemes have different ideas on what the basics are.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Basic RPG mechanics. We need to prove that we’re making an RPG here obviously! We need basics like loot management; for instance, inventory and opening containers like chests.
Hmm, looks like Obsidian and Harebrained Schemes have different ideas on what the basics are.

:lol: Well spotted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom