Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Info about Torment's Tides and Combat at VG247

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

VG247 have an interview with Torment: Tides of Numenera developers Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb lined up for this week. Since we had no official Torment update today, I'll post some tidbits from the previews of the interview that they posted last week.

The first preview was actually posted before the Kickstarter began, and is mainly about the game's Tides system. Here's an excerpt:

“We don’t to go for a cheap emotional hook here,” McComb replied. “We want to build relationships with our NPCs and we want to build ways that we can track the choices that you make within the game.​

“To do that we developed what we call the ‘Tides’ system, which is essentially our alignment system. It’s more complex, more nuanced than just ‘law versus chaos’. It’s an internal thing that manifests itself through external powers.”​

Saunders then added by saying, “When looking at the Tides we looked at what things motivate people, what the results of their actions are, and what the concept of a legacy is. We realised that weren’t really words in English that were quite right for the concepts we were imagining.​

“We decided to extract the Tides into colours that would represent various facets of complex forces at work in our world. Unlike an alignment system in D&D – where you have good or evil – the Tides are not directly in competition with each other.​

“In a way they’re competing for your attention in that we’re tracking you favour them, and that will have effects on both gameplay directly, and on how people will respond to you. We don’t want to describe to the player what the answer to the question is. We don’t have the answer to ‘What does one life matter?’​

McComb then cut in to add, “Our players are going to find this out for themselves, and we’re going to guide them, challenge them and make them think, but we’re not going to say, ‘Here’s what one life matters’, because it’s going to be different for everybody depending on how they play.”​

To help differentiate each moral Tide, inXile has colour-coded them for ease of reference. Game parameters such as choices and NPC reaction may change if you have ten points in blue, and five points in red for example. The indigo Tide may stand for justice, there could even be another for unity, or one for the end justifying the means.​

“Part of the reason we colour-coded these choices is that they don’t have exact analogues in the English language”, McComb continued. “Something like the gold tide will be similar to empathy, charity or sacrifice, but at he same time if we called it an ‘Empathy Tide’, people would attach all of their pre-conceived notions about what empathy is to that.”​

Saunders added, “Players were learn about this two-fold, through the outcomes of their actions in the game and through myths and legends told within the game world.”​

The second preview is about the game's combat, a topic that will no doubt launch many a flamewar here on the Codex once inXile decide how they want to implement it.

McComb explained, “What we’re favouring for combat is a phase-based combat system. But how we’ve approached it is we want it to be a stronger combat system than Planescape: Torment had. We’ve defined the main characteristics, so we want there to be strategic elements.​

“By ‘strategic’ I mean the customisation of your character outside of combat, like your choices in terms of what class you are, what capabilities you have and what equipment you’re using. Within combat we want tactical decisions that are planned.​

What you do away from the battlefield will also have a profound impact on how characters behave in combat, similar to Obsidian’s Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer.​

“We also want a tie-in with the narrative,” McComb continued. “There will be aspects from the creative side that influence the gamplay. One example of this is what we did for Mask of the Betrayer, with you being the Spirit Eater, and having powers that had effects on combat that changed depending on what you did outside of combat.​

“We want to have a focus on the quality of combat encounters over quantity, so this isn’t going to be an action RPG where you slay mobs of minions and get lots of treasure. The combat will be relevant to what’s going on.​

McComb explained that combat will also be avoidable if players wish to use words, rather than weapons, “In the tradition of Planescape: Torment we want combat to be avoidable in many if not all circumstances depending on the choices you make.”​

Interesting that Colin doesn't mention the option of turn-based combat at all...

Update: The full interview has been posted on VG247. It doesn't actually contain much new information beyond what the previews already revealed, except for the fact that an undescribed "third mechanic" for combat may also be under consideration.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
“In the tradition of Planescape: Torment we want combat to be avoidable in many if not all circumstances depending on the choices you make.”
It must be tottaly possible to avoid combat in Torment!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Interesting that Colin doesn't mention the option of turn-based combat at all...

Probably they don't expect it to win in the voting. Guess it will be down between RTwP and phase-based. Hopefully the Codex will make a difference...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Probably they don't expect it to win in the voting. Guess it will be down between RTwP and phase-based. Hopefully the Codex will make a difference...

I suspect they'll choose PB as a compromise. They'll tell any butthurt RTwP supporters that "PS:T's combat was pretty bad and way too chaotic, and we decided early on that we had to improve it. Going to phase-based will make it more tactical and less hectic, without removing the plausibility and speed of simultaneous action."

As for the turn-based fans, they'll be glad to have even that. :M

Lancehead

Liturgist
If you can "take possession of" enemies, it could make for a very interesting combat with phase-based.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Thanks all, I get it now. It does not look bad at all, I could live with that... Well, I could even live with RTP combat as long as I am not forced to fight....

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If we end up with RTwP even though they (the fucking developers) want phase-based just because of backer voting, I may cry. Shit like this shouldn't even come to a vote, they know the game, they know what suits it. Not some guy who threw in a few bucks.

Kirtai

Augur
If you can "take possession of" enemies, it could make for a very interesting combat with phase-based.
Quite. I wonder if Brother Nones comment about how 'you do spend the majority of time in "your own" body' means you can do this.

Wizfall

Cipher
Phased based is Wizardry for example.
In the old day we did not used the term PB, we called it TB.
Only recently with action based TB was popularized the word PB.
I like PB :)
Can't remember a PB game not i n first person view though.

Wizfall

Cipher
Would be great, i can see the view change for combat and rest of the game isometric.
But it seems too crazy to be truth, must not be that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jesus, fuck no. Why the hell would you want blob combat?

For people that still don't know what the fuck "phase-based" means, for the last time:

Combat round starts
Phase 1: Initiative is decided
Phase 2: Actions are declared
Phase 3: Actions are resolved in order of initiative
Repeat until combat round ends

Alternatively, download the Grimoire demo and fight something.

That's it. It might vary from game to game, maybe actions are declared before initiative, maybe initiative is only rolled at the beginning of the first round, etc.

JoKa

Cipher
Let's discuss which type of combat we can avoid!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom