Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Lives: Combat Video Next Week

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

Over at the official Dead State forums, Brian Mitsoda has posted a quick Dead State update:

Hey everyone,​

We've mostly been updating on the Radio lately, so I just wanted to jump on and mention what we're working on. You may have heard the "combat demo" mentioned here as something we will be showing off. We're wrapping up some improvements to it and doing some playtesting to get it feeling as much like the final game as possible. I'm hoping to have the final video down either by the end of next week and released shortly after that. Everything we will be showing is very obviously a work in progress, but it's pretty exciting that a lot of the basics are all working and functioning to design specs now.​

Here's what we're planning on showing (everything here is functional right now):​

-The town of Llano, which is one of the first areas you hit in the game.​
-Melee and Ranged combat.​
-Fighting against zombies and human enemies​
-Line of Sight (only see enemies that you or an ally can see)​
-Noise (combat generates noise, enemies respond to noise)​
-Inventory, switching to new items​
-Looting corpses and containers​
-Combat/zombie AI​
-Lockpicking and bashing doors​
-Combat animations​
-Transitioning from real time exploration to turn-based combat and back​
-Give an idea of what we're working on for future combat build updates.​

Combat plays out pretty much how we promised right now - it's a mix of Fallout and X-Com. Every day has been bringing huge improvements, which is in no small part due to the skills of our programmers. I'm really excited about showing it off, I just want it to be as polished as we can get it in the next few days. Based on the team's feedback, we've already got some great ideas on how to further improve it in future builds. As a designer, you always want to hold onto something until it's 100% just right, but at some point you have to get over that feeling of incompleteness and show your work.​

Sorry about the wait! It is coming...​

Let's hope this continues the trend of surprisingly impressive Kickstarter game demos.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I think this is going to be a sleeper RPG that's going to sneak up on us and probably be better than some of the high profile Kickstarter RPGs. Well, WL2, Torment and Shadowrun look pretty fucking good so far so I guess I mean it might be better than PE and Banner Saga.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I pledged at the $250 level for this and have never received one of the "Radio" updates! : x

Also, great to hear this coming along and I hope as well that the video continues the trend of :incline: inducing enthusiasm.

likaq

Arcane
News from Brian:

The video was originally going to be a end of February KS update, but due to the business side of my schedule, it got pushed back by a little over a week. We keep trying to urge people to hit the forums more since we don't want to spam our KS site with minor updates. We're pretty regular here and we don't have to get all dressed up and fancy for any announcement we do. The combat video will definitely be up on the KS site within about a week.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think this is going to be a sleeper RPG that's going to sneak up on us and probably be better than some of the high profile Kickstarter RPGs. Well, WL2, Torment and Shadowrun look pretty fucking good so far so I guess I mean it might be better than PE and Banner Saga.

DING DONG BANNU SAGA actually has pretty tight combat though. I wasn't really looking forward to it before playing Factions, but now I sure as hell am.

BobtheTree

Savant
Looking forward to this. Hope this game gets its due because it looks great but it's not one that it seems a lot of people beyond the super hardcore CRPG fans know about.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, I know.
I can't believe I forgot about it too. I'm really beating myself up about this one.

But lets face it, how long has it been since there was an update on the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ah I remember the last update-before-the-update DoubleBear did. It was back in... January? How time flies.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
DING DONG BANNU SAGA actually has pretty tight combat though. I wasn't really looking forward to it before playing Factions, but now I sure as hell am.

The fact that players always alternate turns no matter how many units they have pissed me off when I first tried it. I should give it a second chance, it might just be a question of getting used to it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I pledged at the $250 level for this and have never received one of the "Radio" updates! : x

Perhaps Vault Dweller can help you with this.
The "radio backers" were given access to a special subforum where the Radio updates were posted. I'd suggest emailing DB or pm'ing Brian on our forums.
Do I need some special registration? I'm registered on your forums already. Have been since I pre-ordered AoD.

Well looks like I do have access but I just never checked the sub forum. Did they email after each update to say one is posted? If so, I never received any emails.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom