Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #4: Legacies and Cults

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Mark Morgan; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Another day, another Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update. As before, I'l go over the update's contents one-by-one.

First of all, if you haven't already noticed it on inXile's Youtube channel, the Mark Morgan theme from the game's pitch video is now available as a separate music video, which also displays a montage of Torment concept art. You might also be pleased to learn that inXile have made wallpaper-sized versions of some of Torment's concept art available on the game's website.

Second, rich nerd with too much time on his hands Steven Dengler has agreed to personally match 10% of the Kickstarter contributions from 2 million to 3 million dollars, continuing what Brian Fargo himself did for the contributions from 1 million to 2 million dollars. That means that if the Kickstarter funding reaches 3 million dollars, Steven and Brian together will be adding an additional 200,000 dollars on top of that.

The core of the update, however, is the new 3 million dollar stretch goal. Here's the description:

More Legacies, Deeper and Richer Reactivity

We’ve told you a little about the Tides and Legacies already – they are a key component of three of our four pillars, and at $3M we’ll be expanding their impact, especially with respect to our fourth pillar: “Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences.” In the upcoming days and weeks, we’ll be elaborating more on the design of the Tides and the Legacy System, but for now I’d like to explain a bit more about how these two concepts relate to each other.​

Given that Legacy is the primary theme of Torment, you can imagine that its effects will run deep. Your Legacy depends upon which of the five Tides you favor – as demonstrated through your actions and decisions within the game. At our target funding, we envisioned six Legacies: one for each Tide, and then a sixth for those who have no dominant Tide. Your Legacy (and the Tides) has a variety of impacts on both gameplay and on interactions in dialogue. For example, certain items will provide different abilities depending upon your Legacy, and your Legacy also affects what focus you master. Your Legacy might draw others to you, or make them wary of you. As your actions affect the Tides, you can choose to adopt a new Legacy and embrace your decisions or you can resist their pull – for a while, at least. Some NPCs and creatures will notice and react to the Tidal impact on your Legacy, with some reacting favorably and others... not so much.​

Six Legacies yields a lot of potential for reactivity and choices and consequences. But at this Stretch Goal, we take the system much further. Instead of depending only upon one Tide, your Legacy will be based upon your strongest TWO. This increases the number of Legacies to 11 (ten possible pairs, plus an eleventh for when no two reign supreme). By almost doubling the number of Legacies, we unlock many more options for gameplay and opportunities for the world and its people to respond to your choices. Your Legacy can change throughout the game, and doubling the number of Legacies doesn’t double the gameplay time. But it does have a tremendous impact on how reactive and replayable Torment will be. That makes this game a deeper, richer experience and provides you with a host more options to consider and explore as you seek your answer to Torment’s core question. Naturally, this also means that we’ll be creating even more cool, unique items and effects that respond specifically to the paths you’ve chosen.​

Cults

We love you all, but it is our responsibility to torment you; that’s why you’re here in the first place. When we reach this Stretch Goal, we will add Cults to bring a little nastiness to your life. Like factions (which we had planned at our initial funding level and will discuss more later), these groups have their own interests, loyalties, and goals. Unlike factions, cults are antagonistic, roving enemies who pick up and move as they will, as the winds blow them, or as rumors of powers, enemies, or wealth summon them. Are they all being manipulated by a shadowy enemy? They might be! They might be entirely disconnected!​

Should any of these cults discover who you really are, they'll seek you in accordance with their own principles. But perhaps if you are clever enough, you can discover how to manipulate them to your advantage... and you might need to, if they all descend upon you at once. They will use you as a pawn against the others, and your goals may occasionally align with theirs, with quests and opportunities potentially opening as you interact with them. Make no mistake: they are inexorably opposed to you and your ilk. But if you are persistent, sly, and creative, you might find a way to turn their strengths into yours.​

Companion #7

We’ll add another surprise companion, bringing the total to 7. You want blood? You’ve got it.​

Those cults kind of remind me of the Planescape setting's sects. Also, it's worth noting that with the addition of a seventh companion, T:ToN will match the original PS:T's companion roster in size. I wonder if they'll add more?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The death cult sounds absurd. "Oh my flesh is a cage." Well why don't you just kill yourself then?

The other guys sound like those brain rats. It's pretty funny how safe they're playing this; pretty much every element is analogous to something from Torment. Torment with a twist. The game you remembered but slightly different.

Lack of prerendered backgrounds goal is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The death cult sounds absurd. "Oh my flesh is a cage." Well why don't you just kill yourself then?

The other guys sound like those brain rats. It's pretty funny how safe they're playing this; pretty much every element is analogous to something from Torment. Torment with a twist. The game you remembered but slightly different.

It's like how all Final Fantasy games have a scholarly character named Cid and four elemental crystals. :desu:

Lack of prerendered backgrounds goal is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Obviously they're gonna use those to wringe the full 4 million out of people. :smug:

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
aakahg.jpg

:troll:

Koschey

Arcane

Why don't the Children of the Endless Gate just off themselves? Easy, they see themselves as liberators. They want to help and do good, so they try to free as many people as possible from their earthly shackles before their own liberation. Anything else would be selfish.

As to the Order of Flagellants and Austerities, the nod to cranium rats is there, but the lines in question could just as well be a flowery way of saying "They seek strength in numbers. They fight in a battle frenzy like berserkers". I'm reading more self-mutilation, swarming the enemy with light infantry, so to speak, and battleraging from the description rather than hivemind.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really liked the Morgan music and it will be interesting to see what he does with an orchestra. I just hope he doesn't go overboard with a "blockbuster Summer Movie" style and overwhelm the soft, eerie quality in that track I just listened to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I really liked the Morgan music and it will be interesting to see what he does with an orchestra. I just hope he doesn't go overboard with a "blockbuster Summer Movie" style and overwhelm the soft, eerie quality in that track I just listened to.

Why would he do that? He's not an idiot, he knows what kind of game this is and what sort of work people hire him for.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why would he do that? He's not an idiot, he knows what kind of game this is and what sort of work people hire him for.
I'm not expecting him to. However, when people get too many new toys to play with they might lose sight of their original vision. Just sayin'

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Why are you such a bitter cunt?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Why don't the Children of the Endless Gate just off themselves? Easy, they see themselves as liberators. They want to help and do good, so they try to free as many people as possible from their earthly shackles before their own liberation. Anything else would be selfish.
Pretty much. Same reason why those who send others to seek paradise are strangely content to stick around and delay their own entry, trying to cause much mayhem in the mean time.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Cumdumpster

hiver

I'm not expecting him to. However, when people get too many new toys to play with they might lose sight of their original vision. Just sayin'
I think we will all be pleasantly surprised by his take on the matter.

Pretty much. Same reason why those who send others to seek paradise are strangely content to stick around and delay their own entry, trying to cause much mayhem in the mean time.
Yes, hypocrites. Will be a pleasure to tear them down and dance on their ashes.

Globbi

Augur
It is how it works and it is logical, but I still think such cult is not a good idea. Ritual mass suicides happened in real world, but those were very rare and minor compared to all other religions or cults. Somehow in many of those fantasy worlds such liberators or death worshipers are big factions that actually get decent power. It makes sense in D&D like settings where some people actually want to become immortal vampires or liches, not really when people want to die.

Such cult could be a group of very few crazy people trying to get attention. Maybe player character, already respected, with good means of persuasion through both threats and reason could lead group to rise in power... for very short time to get it pacified by any kind of governing force.

Best depiction of crazy people wanted to sacrifice ritually is IMO in Dukaj's Ice. There were some beings called Lute (could be translated as Icers, that's just my suggestion but I will use for sake of this post) that could be considered as source of fierce winter on huge areas of the world. Those Icers were perceived as moving ice and anything that moved with this ice (like debris, parts of humans that got killed by it passing through them, or after passing through graves). The closer to Icer, or to center of it, the colder there was. There were people trying to analyze what the hell were those creatures, there were people trying to kill them and possibly end the winter and there were also people that wanted to keep the winter, making it some kind of cult. Some ice worshipers just wanted to keep winter for political or economical reasons, some saw the Icers as gods. The latter ones actually had reason to believe so - those creatures appeared on Earth and changed the world! What's more, people caught inside of Icer physically became some kind of one with them, since their bodies were carried by them. As an effect of this there were people willing to suicide and become one with Icer, or maybe become a new Icer in somehow in some specific way of death. Those were mostly considered crazy, but they were just some extreme examples of otherwise pretty normal worshipers of frost. Then, there was a better reason to not just suicide other than just spreading prophecies. One idea was to die (or survive?) by getting to the very center of Icer, not get frozen 2 meters away from its center. They were accommodating their bodies to cold, they were pushing limits of what humans can endure - they had to work hard to get what they wanted.

Dieing just to "free oneself" from their physical shell is pretty stupid. Mainly because everyone will die anyway, so then why push it and kill everyone ASAP? Then, it's also a boring concept since the ultimate goal, which is dieing, is extremely easy to achieve. Cultists are calling others to not die, because they need to tell even more people that those should die...

grdja

Augur
According to what little we know about the setting, entire world is saturated with nanotech. Air, water, soil, living beings also most likely. There could be dozen conflicting artificial afterlives existing in the setting. We don't know specifics of their murder rituals nor what exactly happens to the victims. Also by description of that tentacly thingey that spans worlds it appears we have infovores in the setting.

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
Not really excited over their stretch goals atm.....stretch goals should be about more content and more gameplay not vague "more writing". Keep the writers you already have and give them overtime ....
And now its about having "deeper and richer reactivity" (IE EVEN MORE DIALOGS the reason you got money with the first goal !!!)
Also not every little extra rock and cranny should be seen as a stretch goal they should offer much more "free extra stuff " since as they themselves said the tools are already developed from the previous Kickstarter. And still no word about modding tools....
Atleast as long as they dont mention anything about romances im remaining optimistic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Keep the writers you already have and give them overtime ....

I'm sure the inXile writers who are reading this thread would love that. :lol:

And now its about having "deeper and richer reactivity" (IE EVEN MORE DIALOGS the reason you got money with the first goal !!!)

Uh, yeah, what's wrong with that?

And still no word about modding tools....

Why should a Torment game need modding tools?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, I would guess, that just as with Shadowrun, being based on a PnP, people would like to create their own adventures, not necessarily modify the original one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom