Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher 3 Mechanics Roundup: No More Roll-Playing?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Rock Paper Shotgun's The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt interview continues. This segment of the interview has more information about the game's combat mechanics, a few more details about its C&C, and of course, a discussion of RPS's favorite topic, sex in videogames. Here's the combat-related stuff:

RPS: How much have the nitty-gritty basics of combat changed this time around? At its core, is it similar to what it was in The Witcher 2, but with more abilities and more potions and things? Or have you totally revamped it?

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: What we wanted to do with Witcher combat is that we wanted to show how Geralt uses the sword. He’s the master of the sword. Geralt’s true mastery comes out in the crowd fights, where can take on five or six enemies on his own. What happened in Witcher 2 is that people were telling us that the combat was just a little bit too arcade. The rules were a bit too arcade, to be honest. What we decided is to go a bit more over to the tactics side, to give you the feeling of having absolute control over the battlefield. That’s what we aimed for.​

For example, we improved the camera. We’ll always show the fights from the right angle or perspective or distance so that you’ll be aware of all the enemies around you. If they communicate among themselves and decide that it’ll be a good idea to surround you, you’ll see everyone who’s going around behind you.​

There won’t be any situation where someone attacks you and you won’t know what’s happening. The enemies will move around you and you will move as well, but it’s not wild and frantic. It’s a slow walk, like a slow dance. With swords. For all the enemies, we’re using real fighting techniques, many valid techniques. We have a few experts on our team, and we’ll be using stuntmen with huge experience for that as well. But Geralt’s fighting technique, it’s like sword dancing. He’ll have cool movements that you wouldn’t see in a real fight.​

Jakub Rokosz: But it’s not over the top. He won’t do a somersault with three twists. It’s still effective.​

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: But he’s different. He’s faster and stronger than anyone else, so his fighting technique is different.​

Jakub Rokosz: I think the camera helps a lot.​

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: Yeah. That reminds me of another change. When you hit a button, you won’t see a sequence of a few swings that tend to get interrupted. Each press of a button will correspond to one swing, a swing generated out of 96 different animations that we’ve prepared for the fights. That means that when you’re in combat, you can create almost unlimited chains of swings – from the left, from the right, from different poses. You can change your target freely at any given moment. You can attack two times in front of you, then pierce the guy who’s approaching you from behind. If you know the technique for it, that is. You can chain those moves together without stopping. It all gives the impression that you’re the master.​

Jakub Rokosz: So there’s no more jumping and stunning with one push of the button, like in The Witcher 2.​

The interviewer also asks the CD Projekt guys about their Definition Of An RPG, and I think their answer won't be surprising to certain posters.

There's even more mechanics-related information in this interview for French site Dagon's Lair. Check it out:

The Witcher 2 was a little bit more action oriented than the first one. We read TW3 combat will allow to parry blows, and will be more visceral than the previous one. Will CDProjekt continue to depart even more from the RPG side (which, we found, was already a little bit lacking in TW2) and focus on the action side of the game ? Or will you return to a more RPG focused game, like the first game ?

The definitely improve the combat system from the second part of The Witcher. Now you will have more control over Geralt’s blade. All blows and strikes will take the same amount of time and you will be to defend yourself in any moment, how you want – by pivots, rolls and parrying.​

At the same time we want to expose more the RPG mechanics underneath. Our goal is to show how your stats have a tangible effect on your progress in the game. So in The Witcher 3 you’ll have a mix of both approaches. Players who like hardcore stat testing will be able to experiment at will, while those who want to use their action skills we’ll also be satisfied with the options they have. Generally the combat system will be easy to learn, but hard to master and the number of tactical options will be significantly increased.​

Can you elaborate on game mechanics ? Is there still a skill tree ? What about inventory, weapons, alchemy, …magic ?

Almost every system in the game has been improved. We read fan opinions about the inventory and we decided to change it. The grid is back to give players a more classic RPG feel. We want the inventory to be user friendly and intuitive.​

Crafting is also improved. Many ingredients are gathered through Monster Hunting, but they also have less troublesome substitutes, which provide inferior quality. Also not every craftsman will be able to create a specific item – don’t think that some peasant blacksmith can forge a legendary weapon.​

We altered the alchemy system too. You will still need to drink potions before combat, but our alterations will make this more intuitive – if you gather enough clues about your enemy, you will be able to narrow down the things you need to prepare.​

"Easy to learn, hard to master" is a promise I've heard many times from AAA developers, and it has rarely been fulfilled. But I'm definitely glad about the inventory.

BobtheTree

Savant
Witcher 2 was already massive decline. The more I hear about Witcher 3, the more it feels like they're going further down the slippery slope of streamlined gameplay and combat.

more interested in Cyberpunk 2077 since it's (supposedly) based on a pen and paper ruleset.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm getting tired of conterporary marketing devices. The game now must be announced over a year before it's released and then we see all those interviews with developers, project directors, animators, composers and everyone who happened to pass by the building where the game gets made. And its like this for a year, to keep the hype train going.

And then the game gets released and 75% of everything we read/heard is bullshit. But as people were expecting the game to be good for over ayear, they will convince themselves it's all ok and ignore the flaws.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Witcher 2 was already massive decline. The more I hear about Witcher 3, the more it feels like they're going further down the slippery slope of streamlined gameplay and combat.

What we wanted to do with Witcher combat is that we wanted to show how Geralt uses the sword. He’s the master of the sword. Geralt’s true mastery comes out in the crowd fights, where can take on five or six enemies on his own. What happened in Witcher 2 is that people were telling us that the combat was just a little bit too arcade. The rules were a bit too arcade, to be honest. What we decided is to go a bit more over to the tactics side, to give you the feeling of having absolute control over the battlefield. That’s what we aimed for.

Uh, okay.

MasPingon

Arcane
We altered the alchemy system too. You will still need to drink potions before combat, but our alterations will make this more intuitive – if you gather enough clues about your enemy, you will be able to narrow down the things you need to prepare.

I'm afraid that by "gather enough clues" he means slaying enough monster of some kind. They said exactly the same about destroying monsters in TW2. All in all, wiping out a Neckers was limited to slaying couple dozens of them, so Geralt could for some god damn know why reason realize, that he needs to use bombs on their nests. But it sure sounds catchy - gather enough clues. It's like I'm a freakin detective or something.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
"You must follow the quest compass to your clues, before venturing forth.."

Ok, I still don't get it - what was wrong with the quest compass in TW 1 & 2? It's not like it solved quests for you - merely showed you the general direction of places to visit. In other words it took the role of such common place activity as *asking for goddamn directions*.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ms. Bee mentioned something in W2 where you basically follow the quest compass to "clues" in some quest in W2. I don't remember what thread it was in.

MasPingon

Arcane

Ok, I still don't get it - what was wrong with the quest compass in TW 1 & 2? It's not like it solved quests for you - merely showed you the general direction of places to visit. In other words it took the role of such common place activity as *asking for goddamn directions*.

What's wrong with asking for a goddamn direction? It was perfectly implemented in Outcast 14 years ago.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Forgive Jaesun, his life's goal is to shitpost in every thread remotely related to CDProjekt.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ms. Bee mentioned something in W2 where you basically follow the quest compass to "clues" in some quest in W2. I don't remember what thread it was in.

I am trying to recall it... the thing is TW2 really didn't have that many investigation quests. There was one investigation where you had to gather circumstancial evidence and the game marked locations of interest on your map (but you couldn't get all clues because you had limited time and some facts didn't connect if you hadn't completed one, quite obscure sidequest - pretty neat if you ask me). There was also another one, but it was so basic and simplistic they may have been marked by a quest compass.

Myself I am not holding much breath for investigations in TW3. They did one mostly right in TW1. The ones in TW2 were few and far between. And since TW3 is "larger" I guess they will boil down to fluff and super-vision-like gimmick from Arkham City... Here's one hoping they will make an effort for main quests.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

There was also another one, but it was so basic and simplistic they may have been marked by a quest compass.

I believe that is the one she mentioned.

I have not played W2 (I just don't like these games). I just assumed ALL the quests were like this (of which you stated they are not).

Tigranes

Arcane
W1 and W2 were both very good, though not great, games. So that's where my expectations are at and I'm pretty confident they can deliver it. If they do, that's three games on the trot that might not be the new Arcanum but very much worth the money and fairly unique in their own right; that's a pretty good track record.

I like the one-swing-for-one-input mechanism, best way to go for Witcher-like combat. The rest, we'll have to see in action.

norolim

Arcane
Witcher I may not be a party-based RPG with TB combat and tones of stats, but it's still a very good game. I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't play W2 yet, but I heard a lot about it being more an action adventure, than an RPG. But after reading some of those interviews about W3 I'm starting to loose any hope that this will even be playable for an RPG fan :(

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
When you hit a button, you won’t see a sequence of a few swings that tend to get interrupted. Each press of a button will correspond to one swing, a swing generated out of 96 different animations that we’ve prepared for the fights.
That sounds enough like Gothic to pique my interest.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

If you mean what I think you mean, then I was actually talking about Assassin's Creed 3, not Witcher 2. :P

I wasn't particularly impressed by W2's investigation quest though anyway - then again, I couldn't even bring myself to finish Act 2.

BobtheTree

Savant
Witcher I may not be a party-based RPG with TB combat and tones of stats, but it's still a very good game. I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't play W2 yet, but I heard a lot about it being more an action adventure, than an RPG. But after reading some of those interviews about W3 I'm starting to loose any hope that this will even be playable for an RPG fan :(
I liked the first Witcher, even thought it has its flaws. Witcher 2 was a terrible move forward. The combat was action heavy, easy to abuse, and I felt like the character progression wasn't nearly as compelling as the first game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked both Witchers. Looking forward to the third one. I trust those potatoes to deliver a good potato.

P.S. the game should have potatoes as edible inventory items.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope they still use a list for all the crafting materials. Using a grid to manage all that is awwwwwwwwwwwwwwful (see Witcher the first).

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Outcast navigation system is the only forgotten way... Or we could use Opflashpoint map navigation wich goes like: "Soldier, position Foxtrot Echo 5 1"

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The combat system looks like it's going to be vastly improved, but the combat camera thing sounds just terrible. The only good third-person cameras ever made are the ones that are locked in place and turn and move along with the character, the angle, distance and direction in relation the character changing only when the player manually does so. The last thing I want is the game to take the camera control away from me when I'm in the middle of a fight.

All in all, wiping out a Neckers was limited to slaying couple dozens of them, so Geralt could for some god damn know why reason realize, that he needs to use bombs on their nests. But it sure sounds catchy - gather enough clues. It's like I'm a freakin detective or something.
You could also just buy a book instead to get that piece of knowledge and skip the nekker-killing part. I don't know what's wrong about that.

I'd guess the "gather clues" part could be closer to fighting the Kayran: you can just enter the fight with no preparation, or you can have the antivenom, the trap and the knowledge that you need to use Yrden to beat it. The Succubus quest could be another example of detective work, even though it was overall pretty simple and didn't really have failure as an optionl. In TW2 the necessary info was of course pretty much impossible to miss, but if you actually had to do some research on your own (find the right books, talk to the right people, examine dead bodies and the environment to try to figure out what kind of a monster you're actually hunting etc.), it might actually be pretty good.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
more interested in Cyberpunk 2077 since it's (supposedly) based on a pen and paper ruleset.

Yeah but it's CDProjeckt doing it. Don't hold your breath hon.

Now if inXile was doing it......

Part of me wants Fargo and crew to tackle a Gothic-like ARPG for their next project but they're probably better off just sticking to what they do best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom