Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview CD Projekt Developers Talk About Witcher 3's Open World C&C at Rock Paper Shotgun

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

There's an interview with two CD Projekt personnel over at Rock Paper Shotgun today. The topic is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and in particular its open world design. The interviewer, Nathan Grayson, asks them some good questions about how they actually intend to implement a choice-filled narrative worthy of the Witcher series within this framework. Here's an excerpt:

RPS: How do you a tailor an open world to be conducive to really good storytelling? In general, they’re best for player-driven types of things. When you’re trying to tell a player a story, how do you change open world design?

Jakub Rokosz: In our case, in The Witcher’s case, it helps in some fields. One of the biggest problems we had in The Witcher 2 is that to keep pace between the story and the game itself, we had to sometimes overload the player with information. Just so they could understand the mechanics and the world and the consequences of their choices. What the open world gives us is that, because we have this open world consisting of three different regions, we can build areas up from local communities to whole countries or peoples, and we can tailor the whole experience, the whole story arc of what Witcher 3 will be about… We can tailor it at both the macro and micro levels.​

Even the smallest quest about some person who has troubles with monsters outside of his hut, we’ll tell you a little bit of story about it. Maybe this pack of monsters arrived because the war’s on and they were driven away from where they used to be. We got to a point where we decided to tell the whole story at every single level.​

RPS: It sounds like those types of missions will fill in the gaps. They’ll tell you a little bit more about the world. With the main story, though, Geralt’s quest, how linear will that ultimately be? Will that just be like, “Go to this city. Now, to continue the main quest, go to this other city”?

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: What you just said, that example… This really conflicts with our point of view on the open world. It doesn’t make it an open-world game if you just make a huge world and ask the player to go from point A to B to C in exactly the same order every time. When we create our game, it’s always in our heads that the player can go anywhere and do anything in any possible way.​

We think that the main story will cover around 50 hours. The thing that you said about the other quests filling the gaps, that’s probably another 50 hours of content. Then there’s a lot of other gameplay quests. But to answer your question, we don’t want to make anything linear. Where we can get away with not making it linear, we’ll do it.​

As an example, there will be a main plot, a main storyline, but we won’t treat it as a chain of quests. It’ll be more like the theme for everything you’re doing. You’ll travel through a diversified world, and in the different regions, you’ll have a main storyline for each region. You might complete it, or you can abandon part of it. All that will move the main plot somewhere. By doing something or not doing something, by being involved in it or by skipping whole quests.​

Jakub Rokosz: Also, not doing something… When you’re finishing the storyline for some area, there’s also a significance if you choose not to do anything in relation to things people ask you to do. The story will be all around you, to a greater or lesser extent. Sometimes you may think that you’re not doing anything related to the main plot right now, that you’re not advancing it, but in reality you will be. It may have some impact on the main plot as well.​

In addition to this, the interview also reveals that The Witcher 3 will feature morale and surrender mechanics for human enemies, and that it will introduce a "Witcher sense" ability. This ability will highlight points of interest in the environment (in before Skyway) and in certain places may allow Geralt to visualize events that happened in the recent past.

Kahlis

Cipher
"My WITCHER SENSE is tingling! It's...it's all coming back to me now..."
"Press LMB to pick up items."

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I can attest that girls dislike beards, every single girls i have been with has complained about hitching, scratching, etc. Unless you are one of those girly men with fluffy beards.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I can attest that the entire "scratching" complaint is highly irrelevant. I do NOT have a beard but often sport 5'o clock's and I can assure you it works miracles.

I don´t want my face being scratched by 5 o clocks down there, so i don´t wan´t to subject them to the same treatment. :M

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I can attest that girls dislike beards, every single girls i have been with has complained about hitching, scratching, etc. Unless you are one of those girly men with fluffy beards.
Have you considered that what they conplain can be the exact reverse of what they want? You know, that whole "no means yes" thing. Also wtf :lol:

Borelli

Arcane
The Witcher 3 will feature morale and surrender mechanics for human enemies
Interesting although i smell a black and white morality system in there. "kill surrendering bandit yes/no?"

it will introduce a "Witcher sense" ability. This ability will highlight points of interest in the environment
Same stuff as touching the medallion before? Or will witcher sense have more to do with it. "my witcher sense is tingling! a half naked redhead appears!"

Akarnir

Educated
what would be best would be the absence of artificial moral dilemmas.

Being good or evil is the last things that comes to mind of an actual adventurer. More like, ''what's the best course of action to me?'', then apply some principles if you have some. But interesting principles, not just cheesy ''uuh no kill innocent peeple''. Principles are not necessarily about being good or trustworthy, sometimes it's even the opposite, sometime it's even more random.

MasPingon

Arcane
Sometimes you may think that you’re not doing anything related to the main plot right now, that you’re not advancing it, but in reality you will be. It may have some impact on the main plot as well.

FFS, they continue their horrible quest design idea, where you can't possibly know what outcomes your choices have( giving the sword to Iorveth) Just like in real life - you give a gipsy some spare money, next thing you know he bought a coupon, won a lottery and is rescuing the world by typing a winning numbers on C64. You got to love those CDPR c&c

The Bishop

Cipher
As an example, there will be a main plot, a main storyline, but we won’t treat it as a chain of quests. It’ll be more like the theme for everything you’re doing. You’ll travel through a diversified world, and in the different regions, you’ll have a main storyline for each region. You might complete it, or you can abandon part of it. All that will move the main plot somewhere. By doing something or not doing something, by being involved in it or by skipping whole quests.

Also, not doing something… When you’re finishing the storyline for some area, there’s also a significance if you choose not to do anything in relation to things people ask you to do. The story will be all around you, to a greater or lesser extent. Sometimes you may think that you’re not doing anything related to the main plot right now, that you’re not advancing it, but in reality you will be. It may have some impact on the main plot as well.
Sounds very ME2-ish to me. Skip content to get C&C. As always the question is why the hell would you want to skip the content? Isn't it what you paid for? Also having to purposefully gimp yourself in order to get story variations doesn't strike me as good design.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Michał Platkow-Gilewski: What you just said, that example… This really conflicts with our point of view on the open world. It doesn’t make it an open-world game if you just make a huge world and ask the player to go from point A to B to C in exactly the same order every time. When we create our game, it’s always in our heads that the player can go anywhere and do anything in any possible way.
We think that the main story will cover around 50 hours. The thing that you said about the other quests filling the gaps, that’s probably another 50 hours of content. Then there’s a lot of other gameplay quests. But to answer your question, we don’t want to make anything linear. Where we can get away with not making it linear, we’ll do it.

Looks like they're going the Bethesda way of making a huge world filled with shit every ten yards. Also I've heard claims about main plot taking 50 hrs before, I'll believe it when I see it. In all, CDP seems to be intent on just gathering jewgolds by dipping into the Skyrim fanbase. Not judging them, but I hope that at least the extra cash will ensure that Cyberpunk turns out good

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cyberpunk is just going to be yet another shitty action IMMERSION game. Which is truly sad, and a slap in the face of the PnP game is it based on.

Or maybe I'll be wrong. Which would be awesome.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand the butthurt here. The Witcher games were never hardcore anyway. Who cares in which popamole direction they go next? Basically you play for the grimdark and the boobs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That must be why I don't like it then. :( (I'm actually just fucking sick to death of fantasy).

Oesophagus

Arcane
Cyberpunk is just going to be yet another shitty action IMMERSION game. Which is truly sad, and a slap in the face of the PnP game is it based on.

Or maybe I'll be wrong. Which would be awesome.

I'm really counting on Pondsmith keeping their shit tight. Inb4 a hiver rant about what can change the nature of a cyberpunk

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If they complain about your beard, then it's your fault that you let them use it as an opening for shit tests. Stop being so beta and you'll never hear a complaint ever again, and enjoy your manly beard in peace. However, if you have one of those teen/camel jockey beards, shave that shit right off, for fuck's sake, or you'll be relegated by the entire womanhood to lesser omega status instinctively.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
However, if you have one of those teen/camel jockey beards, shave that shit right off, for fuck's sake, or you'll be relegated by the entire womanhood to lesser omega status instinctively.
Wtf is that?

Oh, yeah, the topic.... I liked Witcher 1. I also liked Witcher 2, though the third chapter was not nearly as convincing as the first two. I'm pretty sure I will also like Witcher 3, if they manage to not fuck up combat too badly.

And about not knowing what consequence a choice will have:

That is the whole point.
You cannot know the consequences of each of your actions beforehand. It's just not possible. I don't say you should never know the consequences, but it really depends on each situation. In some situations, you are guessing blindly, in others you might make a decision out of personal motivation (like siding with rebels instead of government, which will probably lead to the rebels winning) and in some, you might know exactly what will happen.

Where's the problem? It's not like there's a highscore to crack. Well, at least I hope so.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

One week's "I don't give a fuck and fuck the system" growth is what makes them wet.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
In addition to this, the interview also reveals that The Witcher 3 will feature morale and surrender mechanics for human enemies, and that it will introduce a "Witcher sense" ability. This ability will highlight points of interest in the environment (in before Skyway) and in certain places may allow Geralt to visualize events that happened in the recent past.

And there goes my hope for meaningful investigations. :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That must be why I don't like it then. :( (I'm actually just fucking sick to death of fantasy).

No you're not. You would kill for a full-fledged GoldBox game ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom