Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview A new Space Hulk interview comes out of the walls

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Alien Assault; Full Control; Games Workshop; Rock Paper Shotgun; Space Hulk

The lads of Rock Paper Shotgun got the very appropriately named Thomas Hentschel Lund of Full Control to tell them a bit about the new Space Hulk. Can't wait to start smashing genestealers into pulpy bits again

What we’re overall aiming for is to take the board game experience and make a digital game out of it. What we mean with that is not taking it literally, 1:1. If you have in your head the boardgame as you play that, and XCOM, and mix those two together. That’s the game experience you can expect from Space Hulk.​

Oh FFS. Seriously though, the original pc adaptation was in real time and was an absolute hoot. I'm stubbornly going to be enthousiastic about this.

Oh, and for those who can't wait to kill genestealers already go and give the free (and turn-based) Alien Assault a try. It's awesome.

Overboard

Arcane
Original pc version was fantastic, if a genestealer got through your forward line it was usually :mhd:time.

oscar

Arcane
I hope they have more than just genestealers and tyranids as enemies. Orks, heretics, traitor marines, demons and the like add some variety. Solely fighting genestealers sounds a bit monotonous.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Space Hulk has always been not much more than an overwatch puzzle. It's all centered around moving slow tanks into position to keep hordes of quick and lethal opponents at bay and with that became a classic formula. Don't think it would work as good with other enemies.

Yeesh

Magister
I hope they have more than just genestealers and tyranids as enemies. Orks, heretics, traitor marines, demons and the like add some variety. Solely fighting genestealers sounds a bit monotonous.
I think balance is a lot trickier with more variety, but for single player I'd love it if they later expanded from Space Hulk to:
pic35852_sized.jpg

Thomas Hentschel Lund: It’s a funny story, actually. At GDC last year, I was standing in a hotel lobby, warming myself at an open-pit fire they had there, and this older guy was standing right next to me doing the same. We were saying “nice cold weather here, blah blah blah” and he asked me what I did. So I said “yeah, I have this small indie studio, and we’re doing digital board games and trying to keep turn-based alive.” So he says “hey, I have over a thousand board games in my basement.” We kept chatting back and forth, and he asked what kind of games I would really like to do. I said “I want to do Space Hulk, it’s the game of my dreams.” Then he hands me his business card, and it was Ian Livingstone. So here I am pitching, without knowing, to one of the three founders of Games Workshop.
So awesome.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, that game does that to you. Sorry man. Fun fact, it started out as a full Space Hulk fan remake that got a cease and desist and then turned around the assets and made it into this.

BTW: The first version when it was still Space Hulk can still be downloaded. It's however buggy. Otoh, it uses all the groovy names, weapons and art of Space Hulk.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/375/space-hulk-10-released

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Neat. Didn't know that. Looks like he practically used the art assets Teardown themselves removed. :lol: The forums also hold a lot (if not all) of the old Space Hulk boardgame scenarios adapted for the game. All the Space Hulk one could want.

Although I must say their forums really do a shit job at keeping the good stuff around. No mirrors and no stickies of the biggest mods? Tsk.

Misconnected

Savant
Neat. Didn't know that. Looks like he practically used the art assets Teardown themselves removed. :lol:

Not practically. He did use them, and more. And TD in turn used some of the assets from the old EA game (with permission, mind). And at least a couple of users provided scans of the boardgame sections from all three editions, as well as campaign briefings from pretty much everything including WD.

The only thing missing are the expanded rules.

oscar

Arcane
Space Hulk has always been not much more than an overwatch puzzle. It's all centered around moving slow tanks into position to keep hordes of quick and lethal opponents at bay and with that became a classic formula. Don't think it would work as good with other enemies.

Guess I just want more Chaos Gate-style Warhammer tactical RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom