Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Monster Hunting In The Witcher 3: Returning to the Roots of the Witcher Concept

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game Informer's series of Witcher 3: Wild Hunt video interviews continues. In this video, two CD Projekt developers discuss the game's monster hunting mechanic. In keeping with the theme of Geralt's quest becoming more personal again, The Witcher 3 will see a return to the core concept of the Witcher as a "professional monster slayer".

Takeaways from the interview:
  • The game will feature detective-style investigation of monster "crime scenes". Geralt will need to discover which monster from his bestiary is responsible for murdering townsfolk, before he can track it down to its lair and slay it.
  • There will be a greater emphasis on preparation before monster battles. The developers imply that there will be multiple ways to prepare for each monster, one of them being learning its internal anatomical details (which kinda reminds me of the alien autopsies in X-COM).
  • Another way in which The Witcher 3 will be returning to the roots of the Witcher concept is that monster hunting will be your primary source of income, and also your primary source of crafting materials and mutagens.
  • There will be unique "boss" versions of monsters in the game, like in the original Witcher. The developers are quick to reassure that there won't be any arcade-style "epic" bosses like Witcher 2's infamous Kayran, though.
Sounds pretty good.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sounds cool. What I like about the Witcher world is this "gruesome fairy-tale" atmosphere where for example a town is plagued by a single, mysterious threat that turns out to be a monster that lives in some nearby cave and abducts villagers. I really like the focus on single monsters, the need to prepare for those encounters etc.
The investigation part sounds intriguing, would love to hear some more details on that.

Gruia

Educated
whats wrong with Kayran? I liked it
I hate this open world approach. I've yet to see an open world game that delivered in story plot memorable characters.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Hopefully learning more about monster weaknesses and properties means the combat will require a little more finesse and tactics than just button mashing

Edit: Lol just found the dice throwing thing

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
whats wrong with Kayran? I liked it
I hate this open world approach. I've yet to see an open world game that delivered in story plot memorable characters.

Red Dead Redemption has both good story and memorable characters as an action game. Also Assasins Creed 2-3 is good on that parts too (minus the future part)
Gothic 1,2,3- Risen 1 are good canditates as RPG. There is even Dragons Dogma on consoles (OK this one mostly fails at plot and characters :P)

Cipher
Sounds great. TW2 was good, but it didn't really explore the strengths of the Witcher setting in its political emphasis. If they maintain the eldritch ambiance of the first town in TW1 over the entire storyline, and manage to make the gameplay and story serve that end, it'll be brilliant.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, Witcher 2 did actually have some of that investigative vibe at times, for some sidequests, but it was just overshadowed by everything else.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Twitcher 3 devs said:
The game will feature detective-style investigation of monster "crime scenes". Geralt will need to discover which monster from his bestiary is responsible for murdering townsfolk, before he can track it down to its lair and slay it.
In before quest compass.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Twitcher 3 devs said:
The game will feature detective-style investigation of monster "crime scenes". Geralt will need to discover which monster from his bestiary is responsible for murdering townsfolk, before he can track it down to its lair and slay it.
In before quest compass.

Sure, just like the previous games in the series. Oops!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It all depends on how they implement all this stuff. It could all end up being a bunch of half-assed game play mechanics like most of the stuff in TW2.

made

Arcane
Karyan vs. Ghost Dog in TW1 - which was the better boss fight and why?

If they expand on the ideas from TW1, make the process of learning monster weaknesses more intricate and worthwhile, then that's vastly preferable to hitting glowing hotspots in arcade sequences.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure, just like the previous games in the series. Oops!
Don't you go all smartass on me, Infinitron. I bought both games on release and liked them a lot (even though W1 had a fucked up ending). I do hope they keep the no-quest-arrow approach, but my inner skeptic remains, well, skeptical.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hellhound is lightyears better than Karyan. You can use any of your abilities on him including stunning it with Aard and 1 shotting its sorry arse.
Sadly there is only 1 (one) way to defeat Karyan, trap and "disarm".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Open world role-playing game The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is headed to the PS4, the game's developers revealed today. And boy do they seem excited!
"We were thrilled when asked, several months ago, to be one of the developers who were granted early access to the PlayStation 4," said Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED studio. "It was an exciting moment to be invited to be in the company of other legendary developers like Bethesda, EA, LucasArts, Ubisoft or Activision as one of the teams working on titles shipping early in the PlayStation 4's lifecycle."
"The new hardware gives us the opportunity to create something great," added Badowski. "We are able to work with the new console from its birth and this allows our in-house REDengine 3 to push the graphical limits of what the PlayStation hardware can display. The console is fresh and has some innovative solutions that we're looking forward to using in our game."
The Witcher 3 will be out sometime this year on "all high-end platforms available."
Well at least it will look good. As for gameplay...lets wait and see.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

We could yet see the PS4 becoming the lead platform on this, or the Xboxwhatever, tuning the game first for console gameplay and leaving pc as an afterthought. Probably not, but always a possibility.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

We could yet see the PS4 becoming the lead platform on this, or the Xboxwhatever, tuning the game first for console gameplay and leaving pc as an afterthought. Probably not, but always a possibility.

Yet? Witcher 2 already had console gameplay.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That's a nice way of saying "we'll implement trash MMO quests to fill up the vast amount of empty space in our open world"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom