Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Feargus Urquhart and Ray Muzyka's DICE 2013 Panel: The Future of the RPG Genre

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Ray Muzyka; Warren Spector

Variety's YouTube channel has a recording of the DICE 2013 panel "A Conversation about the Future of the RPG Genre" featuring Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart and Bioware co-founder Ray Muzyka.

Gamebanshee claims it's "20 minutes of interesting musings on RPGs and the direction the genre is going to, both in terms of design, and also of business models." I haven't yet watched the video myself, so I'll take their word for it.

I also spotted Warren Spector's talk on the "Growth of Adult Gaming" in the related videos - I assume it's the one where he sings praises to Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead while deriding Lollypop Chainsaw. Not sure if anyone here really wants to listen to it, but Warren did work on some great RPGs in the past, so I felt obligated to single out his talk, too.

Duraframe300

Arcane
This thing would have been better if Feargus talked with literary anyone else

I want to strangle Myzuka everytime he opens his mouth and starts spouting decline.

hiver

I would rather poke my eyes out with a fork and listen to youtube most popular music lists then watch that.

Diablo169

Arcane
Why is Muzyka giving a speech on the future of the RPG genre when he HAS no future in RPGS. Hasn't he gone off to steal money from richer people by "mentoring" them in getting even richer? Fucking scumbag.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops, I almost newsposted about this myself just now. I watched it first, too. :P

The actual topic of the panel appears to be "How to Foster Player Engagement in RPGS". Lots of next-gen marketing buzzwords, but in the end, it's nice that they're basically lauding the current Bethesda model of providing large moddable worlds without lots of predatory DLC.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Despite being a producer, Urquhart still hasn't lost the mischievous grin. But as soon as he gets things started by alluding to the old-school revival, Muzyka responds by linking game designs to business models. That guy's dead inside.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Well shoot, turns out that Skyrim and Mass Effect really are the best RPGs ever made. Never knew that. Oh, and I also never knew that releasing a shit game which requires 7 gigs of mods to be playable isn't bad design, it's a deliberate attempt to engage the players with the gaming community

Dexter

Arcane
Ray Muzyka.
The Future of the RPG Genre

scanners-head-explode6bl7o.jpg

Wtf is he doing there? Shouldn't he be on a panel about the future of beer-brewing or whatever the hell he does now instead?

UnknownBro

Savant
Obsidian's PR guy and co-founder of Bioware makers of emo-gay-shit (tm) discuss the future of popamole... I think I'll pass on this one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ray Muzyka said:
Kickstarter [...] can be really enjoyable for creative types...

:lol:
Yep, we can safely assume he's not that type anymore...

KidBoogie

Learned

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
GIANT RPG. CINEMATIC RPG. INTERACTIVE RPG. OLD SKOOL RPG.
A fucking new genre is you!

Eddard Stark

Educated
Gotta love these devconferences. It's borderline surreal. Just to see these streams of epic bullshit flowing from stage and everyone listening with serious faces, nodding. Simply watching the list of neighbouring videos and the screenstills on youtube makes me want to destroy humanity. Randy fucking Pitchford, Epic Monkey's Warren Spector (how low can one fall?), David prenetious moron Cage, etc. Feargus was at least ok, maybe one of the few sane people at this DICE circus. But goddamn Muzyka, do a lobotomy already, would you? It won't be any worse, I'm sure.

Indranys

Savant
Where's Todd?

He's a smart guy.
I bet he preferred to count his hard earned money and play Ultima IX all day at his palace, rather than attend to that bullshit convention.
He's just too cool for those DICE losers who don't even know what they don't know.

:troll:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Watched it. Meh, as can be expected when two executives sit together to talk about anything - monetisation.

But, do agree, although it's common sense, that modding scene is essential for a long-lasting RPG.

Lancehead

Liturgist
He's an industry luminary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom