Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #23: Gameplay Video!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

After a long night of wrestling with their video editing software, inXile have finally uploaded the long-awaited Wasteland 2 gameplay video. It's 17 minutes long and narrated by producer/design director Chris Keenan. The accompanying Kickstarter update explains:

We are very proud to provide the first gameplay video of Wasteland 2, which will allow our backers to see how far we've come and how everything is coming together. The usual way of doing things in this industry would see us create a demo specifically for displaying to the press or at game shows, but we're very glad to have been allowed the freedom to create a demo video from an actually playable area, which ensures there's no wasted code. This is a straight video capture of Development Director Chris Keenan playing the game. The only element that is not running in code is the sound effects, as it was faster to do in post, but as you will hear, there is nothing being done audio wise that isn't easily replicated in engine. In fact, we plan to have many more sound effects in the final game than what is heard here.​

[...] This first level you will see is one of the first areas you will encounter in the game. The agricultural center was also a part of Wasteland 1. It was an area that Chris Avellone had some affinity for and he did the design for the level. Also thanks goes out to Nathan Long, who provided this area’s clever writing. We had a chance to show Chris the level last week, and when we commented that it was coming together he said “not coming together … it has COME together.”​

Our objective was to show off some of the HUD and how both the combat and skill systems work. There are many elements not represented here but to name a few:
  • Minimal particle effects
  • Minimal sound
  • Mini-map not working
  • Inventory, logbook and other character screens not shown
  • Not all skills (in and out of combat) being represented
  • No world map movement
  • It needs more messaging in the UI
  • And not a comprehensive list of all the combat variables
Sorry if we're over communicating, but it's just a reminder: we're just past the halfway mark, so don't expect to see everything that you can expect from the final game just quite yet.​

You will get to listen to the latest track from Mark Morgan (at the bottom of this update) that sets the haunting and often desolate tone of the Wasteland. And you will hear our first pass at the radio broadcasting which plays a vital role in communication, reactivity and mood setting. There will be a host of cults who are broadcasting their propaganda while other calls will be the locals who seek the help of our rangers. We have many interesting ideas on how to use the radio in novel ways.​

Our vision for this game remains intact and you will see a number of examples that illustrate this. The customization can be seen in the examples of bringing in your own portraits and by the ability to set the user interface in a style that works for you.​

You wanted a party and turn based RPG with tactical combat, and we are delivering that. The demo helps to show off action points, use of cover, enemy view cones, distance/height/enemy size/enemy speed affecting the chance to hit, ammo configurations, attributes changing the characters strengths and role, simultaneous party firing and more. And we are not done adding elements to make sure you are fully engaged in an interesting combat system. There is still plenty of time for you to comment on the combat system and to help us hone it in. Our goal is to build a very deep combat system, with the potential to dive in and fine-tune your damage-output and tactics, while not absolutely requiring that level of micro-management from all players.​

In addition to the video and the aforementioned Mark Morgan track, the update also contains two new pieces of concept art.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll just cut and paste my response from the other thread:

Wow! This is a huge :incline: from that rad-scorpion scene! Dialogue didn't bother me. I guess playing all the oldies but goodies like Wasteland and Ultima VI & VII make me used to it. Love all the descriptive text even as your walking by something and it "pops up" a description. I'm amazed how just that short video with the descriptions really helps with... dare I say it... IMMERSHUN!! Only issues I see at the moment are the size of the UI which I hope I can't make smaller and enemy perception of your party seems a little lacking. The flies and grub didn't seem to mind you walking all around them and that raider didn't seem to see very much except what was directly in front of him. However, I also really liked the three dimensional perspective when they shot the Supafly from the 2nd story. I hope this is something that increases your tactical options during intense firefights and isn't just an "easy kill" cheat mechanic. Overall, I'm impressed with what they've shown and can't wait to play!!
:bro::yeah::bro:

Infinitron, still no bells and whistles... :codexisfor:

Just joking, you know you're a true Bro :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Give me a break dude, I haven't even watched the video yet. :)

Was pretty alright. Enjoyed the dialogue system and descriptive text. Would have liked to have seen the fight with that big dude for some hopefully more involved combat, 'cause the grubs and blind guy didn't take much.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trannies Ladies and Codex gentlemen :obviously: , I know this may be too early to make a definitive statement like this but with what I see here and have seen with Shadowrun well..... I believe we may really, really, super truly be seeing the beginning of the return of good cRPGs from that long lost era of the 80s and 90s.

I'm tearing up as I write this.....
TearOfTheEagle.jpg

Dantus12

Educated
Congrats to the team so far.

It would be glorius if those present here and employed there:) woulde be aware of those not maintaining older hardware. This is a minor thing but I think that font might give problems on very large monitors. Not knowing the avaible resolutions of course if everything else fails, maybe being able to "stretch" Morrowind style the dialogue UI part.
Everything else looks great so far.

Why is it that they think camera rotation is a good thing, which apparently they even spent resources on? It's not a good thing. I don't want to rotate the fucking camera just so that I can see what's on the screen because you were too lazy to take a static camera into account. What the fuck inXile? This is work you should be doing, not me.

Bladderfish

Augur
Why is it that they think camera rotation is a good thing, which apparently they even spent resources on? It's not a good thing. I don't want to rotate the fucking camera just so that I can see what's on the screen because you were too lazy to take a static camera into account. What the fuck inXile? This is work you should be doing, not me.

If all you can say is that, then STFU. There's so much good to see here, it's almost unreal coming from a game of this day and age.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Why is it that they think camera rotation is a good thing, which apparently they even spent resources on?

You know, Unity being a 3D engine, i don't think they really had to break a sweat to implement something like camera rotation...
And audio comment implies that had it been harder the feature would have simply been ditched.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow... This looks great. I'm really impressed and looking forward to the game. Maybe the Kickstarter thing was not a sham after all.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The voice acting in the broadcasts is fucking awful. It's like they got a bunch of teens to fake accents and just say whatever stupid shit was going through their head at the time. :decline:

Gameplay looks very nice though. Hopefully it'll turn out to be much better than Fallout.

Why is it that they think camera rotation is a good thing, which apparently they even spent resources on?

Unity being a 3D engine, i don't think they really had to break a sweat to implement camera rotation you know...
And audio comment implies that had it been harder the feature would have simply been ditched.

The audio comment states that they did not intend to flesh out the invisible parts given a static rotation, which would have reduced the time taken to design levels. Another thing is it would force them to design areas with good visibility for a static camera, whereas now they can ignore that and it is up to the player to rotate the camera and attain good visibility.

EG

Nullified
Meh, voice acting just sounded like normal people talking. Don't paricularly care, though. Just glad the visuals seem to have come out so well.

Really looks great. :eek:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I've said it and i'll say it again, voice acting is good. It blends the right amount of cheesiness and true originality, and manages to fit the setting while still be engaging.

Wizfall

Cipher
Very good including the fabulous keywords dialogue system (i could see it adding a lot gameplay wise).
Shadowrun and now W2, Kickstarter the bringer of incline ? Who really believed it ?
Things can stilll go wrong though but if those games end as good as it seems and don't sell well it would be a nightmare.

Stabwound

Arcane
Hard to judge the voice acting out of context anyway.

Wasteland 2
Chaos Chronicles
Project Eternity
Divinity: Original Sin
Shadowrun Returns (maybe?)

Things are looking up, finally.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I like how he makes a point of showing that the game has both lockpicking and lockbashing. Problem, Roguey? :smug:

grotsnik

Arcane
The update does say it's a first pass at the broadcasts, so presumably the VA will be tweaked or redone - the dog-loving Red Scorpion boss sounded particularly uncertain. I'm definitely liking the idea of how they're planning to use the radio more and more, though; it could really add bucketloads to the atmosphere.

Watching again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom