Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian Pitching New Star Wars Game

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

Written by Chris Avellone, of course. This is what Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart told Rock Paper Shotgun:

“There’s a lot of different eras in Star Wars, and that’s what we would focus on,” Urquhart replied when I pointed out that The Old Republic’s relative lack of success could have Disney seeing that license in a less than favorable light.

“We pitched a between-Episode III and Episode IV game [to LucasArts]. Because we think that timeframe is super interesting. It’s the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, it’s Obi-Wan going off and making sure Luke is OK. You have the Sith, but you have the extermination of all Force users except for very, very few. So it was an interesting time to set a game, and you know, Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story.”

“We also latched onto it because it has elements people remember, but not the stories. It can just completely not involve [the movies]. It can tease them, but nothing else.”

Of course, then a certain gigantic mouse fee-fi-fo-fummed along, unhinged its gargantuan plague ridden jaw, and swallowed Star Wars whole. So what happens now? Is Obsidian back at square one? Urquhart doesn’t think so.

“It’s something we’re still hoping for, even with the Disney/Lucas stuff going on,” he said. “It changes things a lot, but you know, we’re gonna push on it. I would say it’s within the top three pitches we’ve ever come up with. We really worked on it hard and distilled it down to these eight or ten pages that really sold the story and characters. Then we sold it off to LucasArts and got a call back later that day. They were like, ‘This seems really cool. We want to talk to you guys, like, tomorrow about it.’”

“We haven’t [talked with Disney yet]. We’re kind of waiting for the smoke to clear. But that’s one of my next big things to do. To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again].”​

Thanks PlanHex!

Moribund

A droglike
Great, if they can just get a new popamole pitch going every 3 months we can ensure no real RPGs get made ever again. Awesome to the max, bros.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh.

Well, I guess now with the new star wars movies and KOTOR fans butthurt because of TOR, this would be a smart business decision.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But...but...if he's writing Star Wars, how can he write Eternity and Torment :(

Past time to star Project Clone Chris Avellone. Kickstarter?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds to me like this project isn't that sure of a thing yet, Brother None. I'm thinking maybe Feargus went on RPS to get Disney's attention.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
If it plays like Kotor2, they need not bother and should just make it a cinematic CYOA instead :troll:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
They should be doing Star Trek instead, don't think I can forgive them passing chance of making Star Trek-game. I can't see them getting enough freedom to do game with Disney who would probably have very specific and strict demands.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are lots of other sci-fi settings they can use. I don't really care about Star Wars after all that medicore, needless(word?) releases. Like ToR(waste of production money, SWG servers closed for this shit), Unleashed s(LoL) and Lets Dance, party or whatever that monsterity called. Last SW games i enjoyed were KOTOR 2 and Lego one i think.

:takemymoney:

There is a problem though. All this incline overloads my brain, and makes me confused, like I'm dreaming or something. Other than that I'll also go bankrupt. :(

But still, would pay, would play! :bounce:

PS. I liked KOTOR games a lot. There are some events in my life that contributed to that, but still, I like 'em. Would be great if they made another Star Wars rpg...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I thought the Unleashed game was fun (didn't play 2), y'know, for what it was. Just some fun running around feeling overpowered tossing fools around.

And sure, there's other settings to use, but how many settings can get a publisher interested? Disney wants to milk this baby!

I thought the Unleashed game was fun (didn't play 2), y'know, for what it was. Just some fun running around feeling overpowered tossing fools around.

And sure, there's other settings to use, but how many settings can get a publisher interested? Disney wants to milk this baby!

So, is this more likely to be an action game than an rpg? :?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hmmm? No idea. That depends on Disney and Obsidian. I wasn't speculating on that, I have no idea what direction they'd like to take it in. Or if Disney is really interested at all. Even LucasArts' "great pitch, let's keep talking" is just publishers being publishers, they're always "interested".

But it's interesting to know what pitches Obsidian's been shopping around.

PS: true confession, I never played KotOR II. I can't get it to run, it always crashed either during character creation or right after with the little robot bit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, yes, to be honest. Now that they're making Project Eternity, Obsidian have no reason to want their AAA offerings to contain anything particularly "hardcore".

So, we can expect their AAA games to become more popamole from now on. For every action, there is a reaction.

Well, yes, to be honest. Now that they're making Project Eternity, Obsidian have no reason to want their AAA offerings to contain anything particularly "hardcore".

So, we can expect their AAA games to become more popamole from now on. For every action, there is a reaction.

:rage:

I don't consider KOTOR games hardcore at all. But still I liked them a lot of better than Force Unleashed games. It can be a more "hardcore" competitor to Bioware's Mass Effect, and it would sell well IMO. Mass Effects just seems like a dumber, simplified popamole version of KOTOR, and I even think that I read somewhere that Bioware wanted exactly that, a continuation of KOTOR games, but without interference (and rights) from Lucas Arts...

Their Aliens rpg failed, so maybe this can be a game in similar style (as I'm sure Aliens wasn't hardcore too), but in different setting, ie. an rpg. Well at least that's what I'm hoping for. If not, I sure won't play an action game. Well, maybe, if it is extraordinary, but I doubt it will be.

And Brother None, if you liked KOTOR 1, you should definitely try to work some magic and make it work and play through KOTOR 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom