Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Wonders 3 announced. Coming this fall

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Age of Wonders; Triumph Studios

Age of Wonders 3 officially announced and set for a PC release this fall.

age_of_wonders_iii_worldmap_elfcity_24609.nphd.jpg

Sounds like there is potential for a Mac release along with tablets, for those of you interested. Regardless, I'm sure a new Age of Wonders is welcome news.

Check out more here.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great news!
And they are keeping all the good stuff, too! TB combat, "real-time" simultaneous turns on the map.
More classes, lots of races.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This may come as sacrilege gere but I hope there is a tablet release since I just bought one to try it out and they certainly fill a niche for me between laptop and PC. Strategy games like this are ideal for a touch interface and they are powerful enough to pull something like this along.

aleph

Arcane
This is really great news. I hope they don't fuck this up.

EruDaan

Arcane
I want my customable wizards... and my 300+ spells. And I want my types of magic feeling different from each other. Death magic: curses, summoning of undead. Life Magic: Blessings for towns and units. Nature: protective spells and massive amounts of summonings. Fire Magic: destructive spells and summonings of fierce creatures. Air: illusions, Air Power (flying, protection against missles and flyers, etc), ice damage, etc.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope they wont try to innovate so much and damage ye'olde formula much. It seems they still use same old style for cutscene which is miles better than ridiculous and shallow 3D cuts scenes like Heroes 5&6

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Weird camera angle.

Also i guess it lost that 'tile' look with the small tiles with disproportionate elements (except units lol). But if tactcool combat is in; i'm in.

Hope stacking is still in (edit: it's in, there are numbers on the flags); moving armies would be a nightmare other wise (even with group select, since you naturally don't want to expose weak units... more than they are already by stack flanking that is).

They say they're doing a editor, but are already planning campaign dlc ohohoh, i smell rats.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really hate DLC talk when game itself not even out yet... Todays gaming world became just another greedy market business.

Edit: Unfortunately it is a "Demand and supply" problem...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I wonder if there is going to be a day-night cycle.

Captain Shrek

No clue. Have no idea what city of steam even is.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BTW, i just noticed the other day that AoW1 has group select (for group movement of stacks). Cool

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The flags look a bit annoying. Couldn't they go for colour scheme/more minimalistic indicator to show allegiance and numbers?

Also the units on the city looks a bit bad; things get a bit ugly when a 3d large unit is overlayed over shadow causing objects like that. I wouldn't mind that units on cities got 'hidden', though i can see it getting annoying if there is no other indicator or it's not accessible enough.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Here is the larger screenshot:
Age_of_Wonders_III_Worldmap_ElfCity.jpg.jpg

Personally, i think, if you're going to do animations on the unit strategic map, you might as well make a special case to 'face' a opponent if it's hex joins up it yours on 1v1 scenarios (that tower and the unicorn rider at the bridge there - but maybe the rider is passing through).

EruDaan

Arcane
The game follows the same trend that started as soon as the hardware race on the PC begun... better grafics even if not needed. Can't have critics and reviewers say something about pre 2000 grafics on our new game, can't we? Even if said game isn't directed at the mass marked (but it wouldnt surprise me if someone finally says something about "we want to bring new players to the genre...").
I kinda like the grafics so far. Even if they will surely rely on unjustified hardware requirements.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Here is the larger screenshot:
Age_of_Wonders_III_Worldmap_ElfCity.jpg.jpg

"Better graphics" my ass. HoMM3 looked better than this in the 90s:

heroes-of-might-and-magic-3-the-restoration-of-erathia_3_orig.jpg

3D is not necessary an improvement, and it certainly isn't if you do it like this. Those 3D graphics look soulless and sterile, almost like a budget title. Fuck this.
I would prefer the AoW2 look any day.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That was already in AoW 2, as well as the 'penetrating' tiles (look at the forest in the city in the north side of the city).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think you realize how extremely expensive/time-consuming it is to make high-resolution 2D graphics.
Also I just tried to play HoMM 3 and it's unplayable on modern resolutions. I wish I had kept my 13" CRT.

I find the screenshot okay. It doesn't need to be pretty, it needs to be utilitarian. I wish I could see the UI and I sincerely hope you can zoom out more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom