Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News At The Gates Kickstarter Announced

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: At The Gates; Kickstarter

The Lead Designer of Civilization 5 has announced a 4X Kickstarter called At The Gates. The game will have you take the controls of a barbarian faction against the waning Roman Empire.

battle_winter_24608.nphd.jpg

Check out more here

Check out the Kickstarter here!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks fun. Riding into an existing empire to fuck shit up is quite fresh. Think only Great Invasions and Rome TW: Barbarian Invasion tried something of the kind, with mixed results.

Starting with a small tribe, you must explore the world, exploit its scarce resources, and eliminate or outsmart potential enemies. The game starts simple but grows in complexity until you command a mighty economic and military powerhouse.

Over the course of a single game your tribe will migrate to more lush and bountiful lands, conquer and barter with other clans, work alongside the Romans, learn from them, and finally destroy them. Along the way, you'll need to master the art of war and craft cunning plans to strengthen your kingdom - all while enduring the worst mother nature can throw at you!

Pledged.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Looks interesting, but it's a bit expensive to get the beta or the alpha.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Interesting to see that the lead designer of Civ V would quit Firaxis and go for a really complex and simple-looking indie 4X... makes you wonder how much he was cockblocked at Firaxis, forced to dumb things down for mainstream audiences and all that... TCancer should definetly send a interview force. :obviously:

Looks interesting, but it's a bit expensive to get the beta or the alpha.
The full game as well, since they plan to sell it for $30 at release...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Hah, I used to love that band.
What happened? Stroke?

lost all respect for sea
thought you were a cool rocker but it turns out you were just a faggot after all.

OnT: Game looks pretty nice. Kinda expensive though. Love the incorporation of seasons. Will probably back, eventually.

OffT: "Jon Shafer".

this game is p. metal.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
lost all respect for sea
thought you were a cool rocker but it turns out you were just a faggot after all.
At the Gates are just a few steps away from Children of Bodom, if we're being honest, although I do like (and know how to play) several of their songs.

They aren't that bad, it's more just that I can't stand them because every single melodeath and metalcore band has basically just produced uninspired, inferior ripoffs of their songs for the last 20 years. Them plus In Flames mark what I consider to be the start of the decline for the Swedish metal scene, as just about everything went downhill after their heyday.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
sea Imitation of a band makes the imitated band a c-grade band? That must put Black Sabbath below c-grade. ATG is very unlike COB. Too bad if you can't hear the difference when one band is using an instrument which the other is not, and when one band plays in super low guitar tuning and the other sounds like fucking Dragonforce, and when one band has a vocalist who channels pure anger and the other has a vocalist who just shrieks like the weak-gened Finn he is.

mondblut

Arcane
ATG were okayish on first two LPs. Wouldn't blame them for that awful "MDM" crap the stupid nu-metal kids are mass-producing nowadays. It's not like, say, Burzum is responsible for the "DSBM" (moar liek, BDSM, amirite?) crap. Misguided fanbois are misguided.

Akarnir

Educated
As far as I can tell, he isn't thriving for visual accuracy, and barely authenticity. The settlements model all look pretty wrong. But that may be just nitpicking. (or a foreshadowing of a much larger flaw in the game).

Edit : to be fair I love the graphics style. At least it's not modern cartoonish graphics that makes me want to puke.
They even look pretty old school, and more importantly manage to stay simple and plausible (aside from the anachronisms stated above).

Boris

Educated
Queued
Whats the point of this game? It looks like yet another very shitty version of PG. NOTHING distinguishes it from other titles of the same caliber. Oh wait! FLUFF! YAY LAPRING!!! YAAAAAAY!

By the way, I dont donate money generally (i gamble it away at the currency markets =( ) but if I had a massive stroke and were considering it, I would not donate to those dudes...

Degenerate features with long hair
XSK4yNY.png

Ugly ass shirt, pussy arms and girly hands
dnIBstP.png

Aahahahhaha, dont even need to parse that picture further
E9jBrr3.png

WTF?
nugKy9h.png

4R4Feai.png

4fHotpQ.png

"The random maps in At the Gates are built with the help of a sophisticated elevation system."
USU2qO6.png

Bahahahhahahahhahahahahahha!
Ahahhahahahhahah!
You mean, like that? :lol:
eLAEXD8.png

Dont even get me started on AI.

I was watching the "Utility-Based AI in Battle of the Bulge (that Kickstarter game) (iPad)" on AiForGameDevs yesterday and it was sad, simply sad to look at. Considering that I even considered paying money for that garbage.

Since the BotB is highly asymmetric and one force has to hold no matter what and the other one aggressively attack, the dude who wrote the AI (4 weeks of 9 month dev time) decided to forgo any planning architecture or searching for advantages moves, because there are often no good moves (ie he was to lame to do a decent AI). The AI has "personalities" on 2 levels, strategic and tactical. Tactical is on the level of single units and strategic can override unit preferences. But both still dont do any thinking. The offensive heuristic on the tactical level does one single evaluation!!! It looks which adjacent spaces connect to most other spaces. Thats it. Than he tops it of with the combat heuristic which decides if a combat move is a win or not. Lol. And the personaliites.... Coward, Psycho, Comedian,.........................................................................................

iPad

And thats with a semi competent AI coder and a month to work on it. Take a wild guess where "At the Gates" will land with its random maps and 8 factions..... :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom