Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Old Gods stirr

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Crusader Kings II; Paradox Interactive; The Old Gods

Some more information has been revealed about Paradox's next viking and pagan themed expansion for Crusader Kings II. I was wondering how they were going to overpower the pagans in The Old Gods and this little blurb from a Rock Paper Shotgun article seems to give the answer.
Details are scarce but I did speak with members of the studio about raids and Viking bands. Raids sound like a sort of terror event, with bands sprouting from the woodlands and wilds once a trigger is hit, falling under the leadership of a nearby ruler. Their numbers are not tied to the provinces that leader controls, so they can quickly become overwhelming.

Sounds like we'll finally be able to have a proper Wend uprising. Here's a groovy trailer.

oscar

Arcane
Wonder how they'll simulate the raid-and-run nature of the Vikings. Negative province modifiers? Long sieges doesn't seem very Viking-y, and I'm not too sure how the engine can model it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Probably with special 'victory' conditions and province modifiers. And I don't think they'll change much about sieges. Especially not with that manpower boost pagans get when raiding. Do like the implementation of holdings being looted and burned. In CK with DVIP a long war had a huge impact on the lands it was being fought out on. Buildings getting ruined or looted, lords not having the funds to maintain property and harsh provincial modifiers. I really disliked how CKII did away with most of that and basically set every province on a path to unending progress.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I kind of burned out on CKII after Sword of Andhaira.
Muslim, Viking, Orthodox, Republic etc. DLCs all contain features that could (and should) easily hav ebeen part of the base game. And if you want to buy them all for a "complete" game, yoy'll end up paying more money for DLC than the game itself. And that's not even counting the nickel-and-dime sprite and music packs.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Absolutely true. Thing is that for me the whole package is worth it. It's an amazing game that while missing some of the awesome hardcore that was in CK with DVIP still manages to scratch that itch.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'll wait for a GOTY pack with all the thingies and stuffies...

...or a torrent. :M

Fuck you Paradox, you nickel-and-diming scrooges. Nevar again buying one of your games until it's been out for a year or two and is for sale with all the cut content at 75% off.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
PC Gamer said:

Paradox said:
Well, that’s definitely going to be a kind of tweaking/balancing thing. We definitely think it should destroy improvements. You know, but it’s going to be a question of balance, how much damage they should do. Should they be able to burn down whole holdings? Or should they set back your improvements in holdings? That’s going to be something we’ll play around with.
:takemymoney:

curry

Arcane

Fuck you Paradox, you nickel-and-diming scrooges. Nevar again buying one of your games until it's been out for a year or two and is for sale with all the cut content at 75% off.
:excellent:

oscar

Arcane

I really hope they discontinue this pricing model for EUIV. Though then again, it could be cool to have very different game mechanics for Asian and African (and to a lesser degree Muslim) nations instead of just playing a super-gimped European country.

But yeah, this $120 for the 'complete' game rubbish has to go.

Jashiin

Arcane
Every time I contemplate purchasing this game from reading the ck2 thread there is a new dlc announced. And every time I read how the dlc is overpowered and fucks up the balance. Truly it will be 2015 when I can finally buy the complete pack.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Paradox has been doing this since HOI3 I think. As long as people keep buying them they keep on expanding the core game with dlc. It's better than their previous policy of perhaps bringing out one expansion and a few patches before moving on. While earlier games felt often as almost there but still not quite, games like HOI3 and EUIII have become great.

Plus I must say that so far the big DLC for CKII has all been worthwhile. Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome were great. The rest is cosmetic bull you can easily leave aside.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom