Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat Interview with Joel Billings, Part 2: SSI's Rise to Power

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Joel Billings; Phantasie; Strategic Simulations, Inc.; Wizard's Crown

Matt Barton has published the second part of his interview with Joel Billings, the founder of SSI. The video has to do with SSI's "rise to power", covering everything up to the Gold Box games, including such classics as Phantasie, Questron and Wizard's Crown.

Part 1 of the interview can be found here.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
SSI was the company whose products I grew up playing when I was a kid with the Phantasie series and Wizard's Crown, before I played Ultima 4 and became an Origins fan boy. Now I think I should have stuck with my first love. Is it too late to divorce Richard Garriott and have a bromance with Joel Billings?

Moribund

A droglike
Finally, definitive linkable proof that DnD and RPGs are not all about wearing costumes and acting retarded.

TSR = tactical studies resources. Not only that but they considered it a wargame and were impressed with SSI because they were also a wargame studio. It was a miniatures wargame, and not in 1960 or something but in 1988 they considered it so.

So the PnP/RPG = LARP crowd can suck it.

Severian Silk

I tried playing Pool of Radiance, but could not get past the silly first-person exploration. The overhead combat looked pretty cool, though.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I tried playing Pool of Radiance, but could not get past the silly first-person exploration. The overhead combat looked pretty cool, though.

When you have the urge, give it another try and stick with it for a couple of hours. I had the same problem that you did, with not liking the first person perspective as I was used to 2D over the top perspectives at the time followed by an appreciation for isometric. Once I gave it some time I found it very enjoyable, but I had to give it a chance. It helps if you also create your own maps or download one done by someone else to prevent getting lost at first.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
First person exploration + isometric tactical combat is arguably the best of both worlds.

Exploring a dungeon in isometric third person is usually more of a task than a game. You have a god's eye view and you can't get lost so exploring the dungeon merely consists of clearing away every bit of shroud and making sure you activate every single encounter hot spot and check every barrel for loot. See for example Baldur's Gate.

That's not very reminiscent of dungeon exploration in P&P.

First person step based exploration has the potential to re-capture some of the challenge and the uncertainty of exploring a dungeon in P&P, because the player is not omniscient. Making dungeon exploration into gameplay not mechanical shroud clearing. Admittedly, some blobbers do it better than the Gold Box games, because they only have to focus on one kind of gameplay.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did Matt ask him why they can't put SSI's games on GOG in this interview?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Did Matt ask him why they can't put SSI's games on GOG in this interview?

He does not go into that in this video. Should tweet Matt and have him ask the question on the next one with Mr. Billings?

And holy fuck! TSR was talking to Origin and EA as well as SSI with the D&D licence. Thank gawd the made the correct decision.

Wizfall

Cipher
Another great interviews.
J_C is really good at that, both technically and stylistically.
Not like game reviews where it shows that he is not a gamer but only a guy interested in game history/industry/development.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Finally, definitive linkable proof that DnD and RPGs are not all about wearing costumes and acting retarded.

TSR = tactical studies resources. Not only that but they considered it a wargame and were impressed with SSI because they were also a wargame studio. It was a miniatures wargame, and not in 1960 or something but in 1988 they considered it so.

So the PnP/RPG = LARP crowd can suck it.
It's just fucking buzzwords, you retard. AD&D wasn't structured any differently from any other regular RPG, and it was already p. fucking distinct from a wargame. If anything it's 4E that is more like a skirmish wargame.

Stop trying to harvest KKKs by larping a low-int mondblut. If you're so desperate to fit in experiment educating yourself first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom