Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Ultima 6 Project v1.1 Final Version Released!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dungeon Siege; Ultima 6 Project; Ultima VI: The False Prophet

I'm happy to report that, just two and a half months after the release of the public beta, and after almost 12 years in development, the final version of the Ultima 6 Project is here at last! The Ultima Codex has the official press release:

It is with much pleasure that we announce the release of the 1.1 Final Release of Team Archon’s Ultima 6 Project (U6P), for Dungeon Siege 1 (PC and Mac). U6P features an open and varied world for you to explore with dungeons, caves, islands and towns for you to discover; a non-linear plot line with many, many quests; ships you can sail and navigate across Britannia’s oceans; a second world to discover; both a “virtuous” and an “evil” plot line, and much, much more.

With this release we are also making available PDF Map Books containing high-resolution versions of the following:
  • Copies of the in-game dungeon and Britannia town maps
  • Maps of the Gargoyle lands and dungeons
  • The in-game World Map, with both a spoiler and non-spoiler version. The spoiler version has islands that are not shown on the in-game map.
Some things to look forward to in this release:
  • Both English and French versions
    • A German version is in the works, but is not yet ready
    • A localization pack is available for those who would like to translate the game into another language
  • Brand-new Moongate subsystem that now scales – things don’t break later in the game any more
  • Generally better performance – major optimization of various components and special effects
  • Many quest improvements
  • Many dozens of bug-fixes
  • Interesting new places to explore
  • Far more accurate world map coordinates
  • Huge enhancements to the dungeon map system – new “helper” pins and better maps to make our immense dungeons easier to navigate – or optionally, just as hard as before if you disable the helper pins (you can see samples of the new maps in the picture below)
It should be noted that anyone using a previous version will have to uninstall it prior to installing the 1.1 Final Release and start a new game.

If you find problems with the release, want to exchange play hints with other players, want to give us kudos, or (heaven forbid) want to tell us what you really think, join us at our forums. We have set up a special forum for the 1.1 Final Release on the Project Britannia forums.

To download the 1.1 Final Release, go to the Ultima 6 Project web site at: http://www.u6project.com/

The Ultima Codex also reports that mods for this new version are already available(!) at Sylore's website, including a portraits pack which is considered essential.

Now, to finally play this thing!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=7991

Why Dungeon Siege? What limitations were present in other engines such as the Neverwinter Nights engine? In hindsight, do you think you made the right choice, or would it have been easier to work around the limitations of other engines instead?

There were a two main reasons for using Dungeon Siege. First, its node-based engine was perfectly suited for making a very large, open-world game that the player could explore without ever seeing a load screen. Next, the flexibility of the engine for modding purposes was incredible, allowing us to do everything from replacing core elements of the UI, to reinventing the dialogue system, to creating entirely new creatures and architecture from scratch, to implementing dynamic ship travel!

Although some other toolsets certainly would have been easier to work with, I’m glad we went with Dungeon Siege—I don’t think we could have pulled off Lazarus (at least not to the same extent) with any other engine at that time.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone remember how to get rid of the fog? I remembered the camera angle mod but now want to get rid of the fog which is just to close around the party.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Anyone remember how to get rid of the fog? I remembered the camera angle mod but now want to get rid of the fog which is just to close around the party.

You need to install a view distance mod. I tried U5:L's mod, but it didn't work.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You need to install a view distance mod. I tried U5:L's mod, but it didn't work.
Yeah, I tried that one as well and it didn't work. The camera angle and distance one worked, I just can't get rid of (or pull back) the oppressive fog all around.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Yeah, I tried that one as well and it didn't work. The camera angle and distance one worked, I just can't get rid of (or pull back) the oppressive fog all around.

I tried contacting the guy who hosted that mod, but it turns out he isn't its creator, and he doesn't remember who created it.

You should ask about this on the Project Britannia forums.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I tried contacting the guy who hosted that mod, but it turns out he isn't its creator, and he doesn't remember who created it.

You should ask about this on the Project Britannia forums.

Okay, I did it myself: http://www.projectbritannia.com/forum/index.php?topic=2311.0

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just got the Amazon DS version (which is just STEAM). Now downloading the U6 game. This is gonna take a while.

mindx2

Patron
mindx2 I'm trying to get the U6P guys to understand my problem, but in the meantime, you should try this: http://www.projectbritannia.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1924.0;attach=413
Thanks Infinitron I actually found that one as well and have it installed. I read your thread and was surprised Alfie doesn't understand what is being asked. I figured someone must have come up with a "fog removal" mod for this or at least for Dungeon Siege itself when it came out all those years ago.

Xavier0889

Learned
I bought a copy of the first DS game + the LoA expansion for 2 bucks. It's awesome to see that now I have both Lazarus and this to enjoy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
mindx2 I'm trying to get the U6P guys to understand my problem, but in the meantime, you should try this: http://www.projectbritannia.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1924.0;attach=413
Thanks Infinitron I actually found that one as well and have it installed. I read your thread and was surprised Alfie doesn't understand what is being asked. I figured someone must have come up with a "fog removal" mod for this or at least for Dungeon Siege itself when it came out all those years ago.

I get the feeling that almost everybody used the Lazarus Camera mod to play Lazarus, and that the View Distance mod fell by the wayside. Those out-of-date warnings about how it might slow down your machine to a crawl scared everyone from using it, and so very few people realized that it actually does something completely different from the Lazarus Camera.

I bought a copy of the first DS game + the LoA expansion for 2 bucks. It's awesome to see that now I have both Lazarus and this to enjoy.
Check out my mod guide: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/infinitrons-u5-lazarus-recommended-mods.74223/

zephyrjs

Novice
I figured someone must have come up with a "fog removal" mod for this or at least for Dungeon Siege itself when it came out all those years ago.
Fog is controlled by a template file that defines each of the "moods." The game engine does not allow you "remove" fog, but you can set the frustum size to a very large size, or set the fog_density to 0 (which may or may not be honored by some video cards).

http://garage.gaspowered.com/?q=su_204#blockandfield

So to issue a "mod," you simply have to go through all of the Dungeon Siege moods in their .gas file, and replace them all with your own settings. It's a rather tedious process, but could be done. However, once you do that, the game may implode for various reasons. In certain areas, the level of detail is so great (or more accurately the game engine is such crap) that if you extend the frustum beyond, say, 25 meters, it will start to crawl even on very fast system. It's just not a very good engine in terms of handling a large number of objects. Also, the game is streamed in and out of memory, area by area, so if you have set the visible range to beyond what the game is rendering, it will look like crap, especially if you are using a camera mod to allow you to look freely around.

Dungeon Siege is not an FPS - never was intended to be - it was intended to be a Diablo-style dungeon crawler, so it's kind of hopeless to expect it to be Morrowind. You're really not going to be able to make it look much better than it already does, although the camera mod will allow you to get some decent screen shots. :)

mindx2

Patron
I figured someone must have come up with a "fog removal" mod for this or at least for Dungeon Siege itself when it came out all those years ago.
Fog is controlled by a template file that defines each of the "moods." The game engine does not allow you "remove" fog, but you can set the frustum size to a very large size, or set the fog_density to 0 (which may or may not be honored by some video cards).

http://garage.gaspowered.com/?q=su_204#blockandfield

So to issue a "mod," you simply have to go through all of the Dungeon Siege moods in their .gas file, and replace them all with your own settings. It's a rather tedious process, but could be done. However, once you do that, the game may implode for various reasons. In certain areas, the level of detail is so great (or more accurately the game engine is such crap) that if you extend the frustum beyond, say, 25 meters, it will start to crawl even on very fast system. It's just not a very good engine in terms of handling a large number of objects. Also, the game is streamed in and out of memory, area by area, so if you have set the visible range to beyond what the game is rendering, it will look like crap, especially if you are using a camera mod to allow you to look freely around.

Dungeon Siege is not an FPS - never was intended to be - it was intended to be a Diablo-style dungeon crawler, so it's kind of hopeless to expect it to be Morrowind. You're really not going to be able to make it look much better than it already does, although the camera mod will allow you to get some decent screen shots. :)
You're a bro zephyrjs! :bro: For some reason I thought there was a "mod" for U5Lazarus that scaled back or removed much of the fog but I must be mistaken. Thanks for the explanation, it is greatly appreciated. I'm definitely enjoying it the second go around. I stopped after clearly most of the shrines last time in anticipation of 1.1. Great job!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You're a bro zephyrjs! :bro: For some reason I thought there was a "mod" for U5Lazarus that scaled back or removed much of the fog but I must be mistaken. Thanks for the explanation, it is greatly appreciated. I'm definitely enjoying it the second go around. I stopped after clearly most of the shrines last time in anticipation of 1.1. Great job!

There was such a mod. It just doesn't work on U6P.

zephyrjs

Novice
Correct. Someone went through the process I described, and issued a mod for U5L.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:kfc: I'll need to update my U5L mod post. Also need to make a U6P one at some point, although the mod situation there is considerably simpler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom