Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News inXile's Torment successor has a name, Mark Morgan hired to compose

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Mark Morgan; Torment: Tides of Numenera

A tweet from Brian Fargo today revealed that game music maestro Mark Morgan will be composing the music for inXile's Torment successor:

Fantastic Torment news.. Mark Morgan has agreed to provide the music to set the mood for us.​

Mark is already doing the music for Wasteland 2, so this was hardly unexpected. However, several minutes after that tweet was sent out, an update on the official Torment Facebook page revealed that:

And on the GREAT news front.... Mark Morgan has agreed to compose the soundtrack for our new game. Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Is that the official name of the game? Rather offhanded way to reveal it, but there you go.

jewboy

Arbiter
I was hoping that they weren't really planning on using the name 'Torment'. May be good for marketing, but it seems to lack creativity. Oh well. It's just a name. Good, albeit unsurprising, news about Mark Morgan.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Slapping Torment on the box will increase KS pledges by a fuck-ton, so I'm glad they're using it.

Gozma

Arcane
Fargo has got that old school producer instinct to find any trough of money and to jam that shit in your mouth as fast as you can before the train explodes (the train is shipping troughs)

(the train is CRPG nostalgia kickstarters)

MCA
What's wrong with Numenera: Torment?

I think it's a good move to define Torment as the main brand so that it won't be permanently tied to another system a second time. "Torment: subtitle" format sounds more confident and independent than the other way around.

Except, "Tides of Numenera" is kind of a shitty name.

laclongquan

Arcane
No matter how they try that teenage rebellion shit, they never could get out of their nurture.

Numenera indeed? you could see it as a corruption/derivative from Númenor ... Tolkien will rule you all, and in the dark of the soul bind you.

173700.jpg

hiver

Numenera indeed? you could see it as a corruption/derivative from Númenor ...
Yup, not to happy about that, but at least it fits the concept of the setting.
Numenor was destroyed and remnants of its people and technology are a significant feature of Middle Earth setting and Lord of the Rings story.

Yes, Lord of the Rings was a post-apocalyptic story set in a post-apocalyptic setting. You heard it here first, folks.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The latin word "numen" designates sacred powers like those wielded by the gods, or even magic. So, quite simply, a "numen-era" is a time when a forgotten but still lingering form of science is treated like magic and sacred power by the people that experience it.
Way better explanation than those far-fetched Tolkien references, don't you think ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been informed that the word "Tides" in the game's title holds some meaning. They didn't just choose it because it sounds cool.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
May be linked to what they said about various dimensions and shifting realities...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I kind of expected the "tides" to actually mean something.

I personally still don't like the title. But whatever.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Cosmo, Monty Cook actually had a blog post explaining the name, which backs up you interpretation pretty well:

A lot of people have been speculating, wondering, or asking what the name “Numenera” means. The answer is complex. To start with, “Numen” is one of my favorite somewhat obscure words. I also like the closely-related “numinous.” It has many different meanings, and all of them play into the game really well. Numen means ”an influence perceptible by mind but not by senses.” More specifically, it relates to “the presence of the divine.” More generally, it relates to anything supernatural.

Although, Tolkien was likely aware of this meaning of numen as well, so it may be that Numenera and Numenor are the result of parallel derivations.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
i refuse to nitpick over a title, especially when previous announcements both signified the direction, and limited the possible outcomes if you take a moment to consider it;
what i -do- worry about, is depicting..atmosphere..
If Wasteland 2's graphics are anything of an indicator, i shiver in advance..just cannot see how that gritty, dark, pessimistic an atmosphere of PST can be captured by cartoony (not sure if this is the right word here?) graphics enriched with bloom and hdr..they lack the starkness, the grittiness..i think that phrases it well. As usually, shall await and see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom