Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Relic Entertainment to be acquired by Sega

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Tags: First Post; Relic Entertainment; Sega; THQ; ZeniMax Media

First rumoured on Neogaf, the result of the auction has since been made public by THQ. Here is a snipit from a random news source:

Vancouver-based Relic Entertainment, developer of the Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40,000 franchises, has been provisionally acquired by Sega at auction today for $26.6 million, according to a letter from THQ officials provided to Polygon by a former THQ employee.

What is more surprising is that ZeniMax media also put in a bid, which will act as a backup bid if the American courts don't like selling to the Japanese.

Sega's bid to buy Relic remains a proposal for now, pending approval by a U.S. bankruptcy court judge. ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks and id Software, has submitted a backup bid of $26.3 million, in case Sega's offer doesn't go through.

You can read the rest of the full article here.

Will Sega ruin Relic's record? Is ZeniMax looking into an Elder Scrolls RTS? Will ZeniMax still acquire an RTS studio regardless?

More importantly, is Trash desperate enough to allow anyone to post news posts?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Wait, the retarded Kwan courts can still make it go to ZeniMax? What kind of dumbass legal system doesn't check if the company is eligible to buy the auctioned assets before the bidding takes place?

:rage:

We could use that lawyer purge from the Cyberpunk 2020 setting happening.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yes, CoH2 is free money you would have to be very foolish to cancel it especially when it is nearly done. Fairly big RTS brand, solid engine and gameplay (even if multiplayer balance sucked), broad appeal due to the WW2 setting. Practically prints money.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Wait, the retarded Kwan courts can still make it go to ZeniMax? What kind of dumbass legal system doesn't check if the company is eligible to buy the auctioned assets before the bidding takes place?
The bankruptcy judge has to approve everything, it's a formality. I think it's just the article that's poorly worded, and the bid from ZionMax is a backup in case Sega fails to secure funding or something like that.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The bankruptcy judge has to approve everything, it's a formality. I think it's just the article that's poorly worded, and the bid from ZionMax is a backup in case Sega fails to secure funding or something like that.

Well if that is the case then we have nothing to fear. But I guess they could also block the acquisition if there was a risk of a monopoly. Or it's just the pinkos here in Europe that do that.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Well if that is the case then we have nothing to fear. But I guess they could also block the acquisition if there was a risk of a monopoly. Or it's just the pinkos here in Europe that do that.
That's outside the bankruptcy court's mandate though, the Federal Trade Commission handles such matters. And that's purely theoretical in this case, nobody will care that Sega gets a monopoly on Warhammer vidya games :)

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Yes, CoH2 is free money you would have to be very foolish to cancel it especially when it is nearly done. Fairly big RTS brand, solid engine and gameplay (even if multiplayer balance sucked), broad appeal due to the WW2 setting. Practically prints money.

CoH 2 will prolly break even on its cost of the studio unless SEGA suddenly ramps up a massive advertising campaign. If it's anything like the original it'll be a critical darling though. I definately think SEGA got a bargain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom