Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider: On Romances in Games

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; David Gaider

BioWare's David Gaider penned a long blog post answering to a fan who argued that all followers should be romanceable.
Actually, I would not.

Surprising? Perhaps. If we had more resources, I suppose I wouldn’t mind allowing the player to try romancing every follower, but to allow them to successfully do so? No, I can’t say that appeals to me very much for two main reasons:

1) Romances are a side show, not the main game. Yes, some people like them a lot, and I have absolutely no beef with them doing so. In fact, it’s very gratifying. While I suppose a game could be made where the romantic plot takes a level of importance equal to that of the critical path, that has never been the case with the games BioWare makes. These plots are tertiary, optional content… something to add to your enjoyment, and add to your level of emotional investment in the characters… and that seems to get forgotten when people discuss it at length.

Such is the case whenever any piece of content gets discussed online. Under a microscope, whatever you’re discussing seems like all there is… and thus is clearly the most important thing ever. I cannot do that. I always have to keep my eye on the bigger picture, and there is an entire rest of the game that needs to be contended with… which includes a lot of elements that have much more pertinence to the game than who someone does or doesn’t get to have sex with. Romances are a nice extra, and naturally we’re always going to struggle with how to do them right, but they’re well down the list on things I need to concern myself with. I could, in fact, happily have a game without any romances at all… or spend an equal amount of time developing relationships with followers that are non-romantic.

Occasionally the focus on romances reaches such a fever pitch that idea seems rather attractive, actually. But only occasionally.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It's like the Codex is turning into a Bioware news blog or something as of late.

Not complaining though, keep it going, we can use the lulz.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's like the Codex is turning into a Bioware news blog or something as of late.

Not complaining though, keep it going, we can use the lulz.

Also a CD Projekt news blog and a Kickstarter news blog :martini:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I could, in fact, happily have a game without any romances at all…

In other words, expect DAIII to have the most romance options ever seen outside Japanese dating sims.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If Gaider had any sense he'd write a romance that appeals to the homoromantic asexual woman of color demographic. Win back the love he lost instead of contenting himself with fauxgressiveness.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Unknown terms:
fauxgressiveness (fake aggressiveness?)
homoromantic asexual woman of color demographic (frigid nigger lesbians?)

Koschey

Arcane
21962686.jpg

Late remorse?

Erebus

Arcane
His post kinda sounds like the last cry for help of a man about to go under. What's sadder is that he can actually see the rope (making a game in which the hero can't have sex with anybody), but is probably no longer able to grab it.

Captain Shrek

His post kinda sounds like the last cry for help of a man about to go under. Makes you feel like casting him a rope (ie, tell him to make a game in which the hero can't have sex with anybody), except you don't think he's still able to grab it.
You do know what will happen if you WILL give him the rope, don't you?

Erebus

Arcane
You do know what will happen if you WILL give him the rope, don't you?

He'll use it for the bondage sex scenes he's planned for DA3 ?

I edited my previous message because I realized that he does mention creating a game without any romance, something I thought couldn't even cross his mind anymore.

LOL David Gaider tormented by remorse after creating a monster desperately making amends trolling BioDrones apparently for KKK.

It's too late to turn back now. Hitting the bottom and suffering the repressed sexual wrath of BSN is something he must face alone.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can Biodrones even understand the concept of a game without romances? Bioware Jr.'s fans certainly couldn't when PE was announced.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think Gaider feelings are hurt because people are treating Bioware games as dating simulators. The romances are a small part of the content, but people concentrate on them because it is the only thing that Bioware does that is different, if you make generic gears of war clones with copy/pasted storylines and the only thing you do that is different of what everybody is doing is the romances, guess what, people will only remember the romances that is why the only thing Biodrones care is their waifus. Gaider is so dishonest, yeah ... romances aren't important to Bioware ... Who made possible to be a fagg on video games and was proud of the accomplishment? Bioware. Who created a entire race of blue sex sluts? Bioware. Who spend resources into making possible to continue romances for three games? Bioware. What company makes almost all female characters overgrowth 12 year old teenagers with daddy issues who need a strong man to solve them? Bioware. What company makes characters that want to fuck and love you forever after 6 dialogue options? Bioware. It is infuriating that dishonest fucks like him continues to stay on business while decent developers died.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Gaider feelings are hurt because people are treating Bioware games as dating simulators..

Reap what you fucking sow.

Give the idiot masses an inch and they'll whine until it's a mile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom