Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #24: Screenshots and stuff, actual game footage coming soon

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

We have another obligatory new year's Kickstarter update today, this time from DoubleBear's Dead State:

Starting this month, backers won’t be the only ones reading our updates. By popular request, we will start making new Kickstarter posts accessible to everyone who wants to follow Dead State. And in the next few months, expect a lot information and footage on the game. It’s going to be an exciting (and busy) year ahead for our team.​

After a brief break for the holidays, we’re back at work on a new build for the game. We’re in the process of getting our systems up to alpha level – some of the systems on deck or done include looting, equipment, combat (for some melee and ranged weapon sets), noise, and AI. Work continues on story-related writing and design, plus lots of new art and animation to breathe even more life into our areas and their inhabitants.​

Here’s a shot of the near-final medium store frame:​

This building is a Diamondback Hardware Store, one of many you’ll come across and one of the first places you’ll be heading to in the game (gotta get tools and materials if you want to keep that fence up!)​

No zombies or looters in there yet, but something tells me it’s going to be a bit more dangerous the next time we head in there.​

As we mentioned in the last update, we construct stores with a set of basic pre-fab components that can be moved around to create new areas. In addition to the medium stores, we’re working on a basic set for all the fast food stores, restaurants, bars, and diners.​

Programming continues to implement GUIs for all the major menus and systems in the game – equipment, looting, character, goals and allies, and shelter management - while art and design tweak them slightly for ease of use. This is the basic framework that makes the game feel more functional and final. While we may continue to iterate at the testing stage, we’ve already worked out small kinks in the ease of use and presentation of each menu.​

In the next few weeks, we’re going to try to show you all the first post-KS footage of the game so you can take a look at our combat, AI, and one of the near-final areas in the game. Keep watching our Facebook and Twitter for info on the video release, as well as for new developments here on Kickstarter. We’re grateful to all of you for your continued support and enthusiasm for Dead State and we look forward to bringing you closer to the zombie apocalypse in 2013.​

That hardware store seems kind of familiar...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Another update-before-the-real-update happens. At least it's breaking silence.

near-final medium store frame:
An approximate concept of the faintest idea of a hardware store. Well I know someone who isn't going to buy Dead State.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I preordered this thing, I purchased the right to insult it.

How long big is your lesi.txt anyway?
Over 90 lines. I committed that thread to memory before I even gave her any attention because it was so funny, especially with all the gross, predictable "woman/kitchen" lines.

Project: Eternity
I have zero faith in this product.

I have a moderate amount of faith in the project, but the general dearth of updates precludes me from having any faith in this game having much post-Kickstarter financial success. Even if release is forever-and-a-day away, I don't think some increased public relations would be unreasonable; the bigger your day-one sales figures, the better. As it stands, they hardly post on their own forums, don't bother updating their homepage, and only release updates of any sort every month or month-and-a-half.

The Codex should use its considerable clout to secure an exclusive interview with exclusive game details available exclusively on the RPG Codex. Exclusively-exclusive.

Captain Shrek

I have zero faith in this product.

I have a moderate amount of faith in the project, but the general dearth of updates precludes me from having any faith in this game having much post-Kickstarter financial success. Even if release is forever-and-a-day away, I don't think some increased public relations would be unreasonable; the bigger your day-one sales figures, the better. As it stands, they hardly post on their own forums, don't bother updating their homepage, and only release updates of any sort every month or month-and-a-half.

The Codex should use its considerable clout to secure an exclusive interview with exclusive game details available exclusively on the RPG Codex. Exclusively-exclusive.
:thumbsup:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I believe this game will come out, but it will not bear much resemblance to those in-depth "gameplay novels" Brian was enthusiastically writing in the conceptual honeymoon stage.

Eventually they'll nail down a few core, fully working, gameplay concepts and make a game out of them. It will not be your next Jagged Alliance or Fallout, but, depending on polish, it could be solid entertainment in its own right.

Captain Shrek

I believe this game will come out, but it will not bear much resemblance to those in-depth "gameplay novels" Brian was enthusiastically writing in the conceptual honeymoon stage.

Eventually they'll nail down a few core, fully working, gameplay concepts and make a game out of them. It will not be your next Jagged Alliance or Fallout, but, depending on polish, it could be solid entertainment in its own right.

Vault Dweller should write an article as to What made JA2/Fallout a great game in his view. That will article will tell us more about Dead State/AOD than anything else (except the demo :P).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe.

The combat mechanics looks/feels too similar to AOD for my suspicions to disappear. So sorry. I will live in this dreamhouse,
They share an engine, but the rules themselves are looking very different. Brian's taking a more gamist, minimalist approach with his system, something to be expected from a former Obsidian employee.

Captain Shrek

Maybe.

The combat mechanics looks/feels too similar to AOD for my suspicions to disappear. So sorry. I will live in this dreamhouse,
They share an engine, but the rules themselves are looking very different. Brian's taking a more gamist, minimalist approach with his system, something to be expected from a former Obsidian employee.
Rules are different because games are different, duh. As to gamist and minimalist etc.: I don't believe in this Gamist, Simulationist, Narrativist crap. Whether the game is minimalist, I would like to hear your opinion on what that word means (really) and tell me why it applies here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whether the game is minimalist, I would like to hear your opinion on what that word means (really) and tell me why it applies here.
Instead of going for dozens of statz and skillz that may be unbalanced as heck he's going with the bare minimum he feel he can fully support i.e. four stats and eight skills with ten ranks each.

Captain Shrek

Whether the game is minimalist, I would like to hear your opinion on what that word means (really) and tell me why it applies here.
Instead of going for dozens of statz and skillz that may be unbalanced as heck he's going with the bare minimum he feel he can fully support i.e. four stats and eight skills with ten ranks each.

:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom