Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Blizzard Scraps Planned Diablo 3 PvP Mode

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

Surprise! It seems like Blizzard Entertainment is still experiencing trouble in their Diablo III department. This time, they have axed the Team Deathmatch PvP feature promised at launch. This feature, as I understand it, was a major draw for many buyers and judging from comments at Diablo 3 fansites, they are now pissed off.

Here is Blizzard's reasoning behind this:

For us it comes to a few issues, one of which is depth. Simply fighting each other with no other objectives or choices to make gets old relatively quickly. We've brought a lot of people in to try out Team Deathmatch and, while some found it entertaining, most of our testers didn't feel like it was something they'd want to do beyond a few hours. Without more varied objectives, or very lucrative rewards, few saw our current iteration as something they'd want spend a lot of time in.

Another is class balance. Like Diablo II, Diablo III was designed to be a PvE-first kind of game, where we never compromised on player abilities in the name of future PvP balance. We want to be able to carry over as many of the crazy runes, items, and skills as possible, with their crazy effects, and alter them as little as possible. In a casual PvP mode, something equivalent to a WoW Battleground, this would be fine, but Team Deathmatch felt very hardcore, and it put a laser focus on class balance in a way that we didn’t think would be good for the game as a whole.

Certainly, we've gotten a lot of benefits from the development of Team Deathmatch, especially in the areas of controls and combat model tuning, but at this point we don't believe it's the experience we feel it needs to be in order to ship, so we will be shelving it for now and exploring other options.​

So what are these options they are exploring? What sort of PvP features can people expect in the future? Blizzard won't say. They promise to release dueling in an upcoming patch, however:

[...] You’ve been asking us for dueling for a while, so we're going to add it to the game soon. Dueling is currently scheduled to release with patch 1.0.7, which is set to hit sometime after the new year. (We'll be providing details about that feature very soon, so stay tuned.)​

You can read the full update in a blog post written by Jay "Fuck That Loser" Wilson.

Micmu

Magister
...fans are now pissed off.
Diablow 3 is just becoming better and better... I love it.

most of our testers didn't feel like it was something they'd want to do beyond a few hours
No doubt, when the game is actually the trade screen. Overhaul and add content to that instead.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heh, this is priceless. Par for the course for the new Bilzzard of course. I wonder what more we will find out that we don't actually need and only demand because of our own entitlement and not any actual need. Tell me, Bobby.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I like how Blizzard can develop something for close to a year that fans have been requesting, it turns out to be shit, and then they never release it even though the fans expected it to be shit and just a silly side attraction anyway. And let's face it, shit PvP in Diablo II didn't stop players from playing the game for it.

I honestly cannot believe how much fail has surrounded Diablo III as a project. The people Blizzard have designing that game have no idea what the hell they are doing.

Oh, yep, that explains it.

What a fucking cuntnut. I'm sorry, this guy is a hack, plain and simple. He has no idea why people enjoyed Diablo, he was unable to successfully iterate and improve on the very strong base gameplay of Diablo II, he removed all character depth from the game, the classic creepy atmosphere was stripped out in favor of World of Warcraft crap, the use of resources in production was misguided (tons of voice acting, cutscenes, etc. for a fucking inane and impossibly stupid plot), the most important part of the game, itemization, was ruined by a reduction of depth from Diablo II's item system and a wallet-eating microtransaction scheme, and half the time he spent making the game during its very long development, it was an extended beta where all they did was change shit for the sake of changing it.

Now, he's in a position to add a feature players want, and what does he do? Wastes a fucking year of development time (design, programming, art) and says they can't do it because it's going to be shallow... guess what dipshit, IT'S DIABLO, of course it's shallow. The entire game is shallow... and this, this is the crux... BECAUSE YOU MADE IT THAT WAY, IDIOT. Players don't give a fuck if PvP sucks, they just want it - and they will make it work, just like they did with Diablo II's awful PvP mode a decade ago.

Fuck this loser. What an incompetent piece of sewer-slime. How do kiss-ass morons like this get put in charge of game development? If he was at any other developer, one which didn't have seemingly limitless money to throw at projects, he'd get his ass thrown out on the street in a week.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I like how Blizzard can develop something for close to a year that fans have been requesting, it turns out to be shit, and then they never release it even though the fans expected it to be shit and just a silly side attraction anyway. And let's face it, shit PvP in Diablo II didn't stop players from playing the game for it.

I honestly cannot believe how much fail has surrounded Diablo III as a project. The people Blizzard have designing that game have no idea what the hell they are doing.

I imagine it's because they have this grand idea that it's somehow going to be an e-sport to rival Starcraft or something when they make it in order to capitalize on PvP as much as they can. What surprises me the most is that barely any new content has been added at all since launch, their primary focus being on bug squashing and getting the damn service itself to run properly. Now with PvP axed one has to wonder what the hell has Blizzard been doing for over half a year? Counting their WoW money by hand?

Oh, and always relevant.

gPw9D.jpg

Gord

Arcane
You know the shit hit the fan when even sea posts a rant full of name-calling on the codex.

:excellent:

Micmu

Magister
Comments on that blog are also full of rage, calling mr. Fuck That Loser to quit his job.
I'm surprised actually; was expecting comments full of cock slurping, but no, apparently most fans really are angry. Very, very angry.
It is impossible for moderators to make it "look good" as per usual. I bet $9999 they'll just delete all comments and disable further commenting. :lol:

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
For us it comes to a few issues, one of which is depth.

We want to be able to carry over as many of the crazy runes, items, and skills as possible, with their crazy effects, and alter them as little as possible. In a casual PvP mode, something equivalent to a WoW Battleground, this would be fine, but Team Deathmatch felt very hardcore, and it put a laser focus on class balance in a way that we didn’t think would be good for the game as a whole.

I ran this through Google Translate (Who knew it had Loser to English? Google's so crazy!) and got this:

"Team Deathmatch was too shallow to release, but too hardcore for the classes we designed. In light of the heavy criticism we have already received for the character building and combat generally, we decided not to release it for fear of it making us look even worse by showing the features we have introduced to be nothing more than gimmicky kludges papering over fundamental flaws in the core mechanics."

Hmmm. Makes sense to me. That would make them look pretty bad.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They should fire the lead designer. The project is officially a flop.
nah man put him as lead on Titan.
's gonna be fuckin awesum.

"From the brilliant mind of Jay Wilson comes a world... a world of linear corridor-dungeons populated by 14 year-olds, where you can buy shit for your boring-ass character with real money and be constantly disappointed by shitty design choices"

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I will put on my belt of anal purity, apologise in advance to Zed and ask you what is more worrying, that millions of kids babysit online by their mothers were given the money to purchase D3, or that the Codex posts news relating to it as a portion of its members has also purchased it?
And please don't tell me it's an rpg newfag, that's why..please..not when it entails finger mashing lard sweat fests over a shallow, finite, linear context-lacking sterile environment. It's a'game'. A 'multiplayer online game'.
It's almost like trying to convince me AP was made by people that worked on PST..oh wait..

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Sad thing is, Jay Wilson actually worked on some good stuff before joining Blizzard.

USAhole

Novice

Oh, yep, that explains it.

What a fucking cuntnut. I'm sorry, this guy is a hack, plain and simple. He has no idea why people enjoyed Diablo, he was unable to successfully iterate and improve on the very strong base gameplay of Diablo II, he removed all character depth from the game, the classic creepy atmosphere was stripped out in favor of World of Warcraft crap, the use of resources in production was misguided (tons of voice acting, cutscenes, etc. for a fucking inane and impossibly stupid plot), the most important part of the game, itemization, was ruined by a reduction of depth from Diablo II's item system and a wallet-eating microtransaction scheme, and half the time he spent making the game during its very long development, it was an extended beta where all they did was change shit for the sake of changing it.

Now, he's in a position to add a feature players want, and what does he do? Wastes a fucking year of development time (design, programming, art) and says they can't do it because it's going to be shallow... guess what dipshit, IT'S DIABLO, of course it's shallow. The entire game is shallow... and this, this is the crux... BECAUSE YOU MADE IT THAT WAY, IDIOT. Players don't give a fuck if PvP sucks, they just want it - and they will make it work, just like they did with Diablo II's awful PvP mode a decade ago.

Fuck this loser. What an incompetent piece of sewer-slime. How do kiss-ass morons like this get put in charge of game development? If he was at any other developer, one which didn't have seemingly limitless money to throw at projects, he'd get his ass thrown out on the street in a week.

His "apology" was meant to show off how hardcore he is as a fan, but that is exactly the kind of person who ruins a game series. It's like hiring an obsessive fanfic writer to pen a star trek movie. That's how bioware hired as soon as gaider was big man on campus and look how that worked out.

Xi

Arcane

10 million sales, bro. You see, the fans might whine and complain, but they'll buy anything Blizzard releases

People bought the game on D2's success, not on this failed designer (who had nothing to do with that). The 10 million sales only reflect that people liked the originals. It's like the designer failed to see how his mechanics would play out in the long term.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

10 million sales, bro. You see, the fans might whine and complain, but they'll buy anything Blizzard releases

People bought the game on D2's success, not on this failed designer (who had nothing to do with that). The 10 million sales only reflect that people liked the originals. It's like the designer failed to see how his mechanics would play out in the long term.
And the same people will buy D4 because they liked D2. If they weren't willing to put in even 15 min of effort to research D3 and find out it was going to suck, why wouldn't they just assume that D4 will "fix" all their problems?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom