Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Returns Has Returned With An Update

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Jordan Weisman; Mike Mulvihill; Shadowrun: Returns

I always forget about Shadowrun: Returns, so every time I'm reminded of its existence I'm like, "Oh, cool." Today's update from Harebrained Schemes is two-fold. First, there's a "fireside chat" with lead guy Jordan Weisman.

Second, there's a developer diary entry from Mike Mulvihill, in which he writes about game mechanics. Here's a bit from that:

We also knew the game we wanted to make: a story-driven team-based tactical game, which reflects the feel of the old-school pen and paper RPG. The first order of business was codifying the tactics. To achieve this, we needed to hit our first concrete goal – creating a mathematical base that the engineers could implement and that we could use as our core design engine. We decided to call this the Action Calculator (AC1).

To mimic Shadowrun’s feel for the majority of the players, we wanted an Attribute / Skill / Specialization hierarchy like the ones was used in all of the electronic games and the first three editions of Shadowrun. Setting the game in the early 2050’s reinforced that decision. Now it was fun with numbers… and yes, for all you old-schoolers, we actually attempted to model rolling handfuls of six-sided dice. Unfortunately, the number-crunching in AC1 proved that chucking all those d6s around was not sustainable for what we wanted and not expandable into the other systems we’d planned.​

Here's the full update.

Wizfall

Cipher
Those Shadowrun Return updates are by far the best among the different kickstarters that i follow.
They explain very well how they are making the game and what we can expect (not in this video but in the written updates).
A must read even for those not really interested by the game IMHO.
Definitively the kickstarter that i'm the most confident with.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh yeah yeah yeah, cumming buckets.

And devs that actually state that they have dozens of Excel spreadsheets and they are crunching numbers like mad, instead of just relying on the AWESOME button? Colour me impressed. Plus they look like proper nerds.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just wonder why they do not use 4th edition.
I mean, yeah, 4th edition has setting in the 2070s, but you could as well use the rules and play in the 2050s. Shouldn't matter at all (other than not being able to play Technomancers).

Do they just don't have the 4th edition license or what's up?
It doesn't matter that much after all, as both 3rd and 4th are equally fit for a PC game transition, but at least in PnP, 4th edition is much better as it simplifies the rules, rolling, etc. without dumbing anything down. It really is a good example of simplifying without screwing things up in any way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom