Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Update #36: Core Four Classes, Weapon Types, and More

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer has put up another update on the current progress of Project Eternity's development. It discusses a lot of miscellaneous things, including resolution and scaling, movement, UI, weapon types, and the design of the "four core classes" -- Fighter, Priest, Rogue and Wizard:

Core Four Class Design and Advancement - We want our classes to feel familiar but flexible, so we've designed our "core four" (fighter, priest, rogue, wizard) to reflect traditional D&D roles and allow you to build outside of them. In our current design, each of the classes starts with two active use or modal abilities and one passive bonus.

[...] Priest
  • 1st Level Priest Spells - Priests gain access to all 1st level priest spells. Priests can cast a fixed number of 1st level spells before they must rest to recover their uses. They can cast any combination of different spells up to the per-rest limit. As priests gain levels, their 1st level spells will eventually become per-encounter resources.
  • Recovery - The Recovery ability regenerates a modest amount of Stamina for allies (including the priest, if in range) in a Medium-sized area at Short range.
  • Sacred Circle - All allies standing within a Small area around the priest gain Accuracy bonus. This bonus does not include the priest unless there are no conscious allies in range, in which case it applies to the priest.
[...] Wizard
  • 1st Level Wizard Spells - Wizards can access all 1st level wizard spells immediately. Unlike other wizard spell levels, the wizard does not need to find scrolls or grimoires to use any 1st level spells. Wizards can cast a fixed number of 1st level spells before they must rest to recover their uses. They can cast any combination of different spells up to the per-rest limit. As wizards gain levels, their 1st level spells will eventually become per-encounter resources.
  • Blast - When wizards use any implement (i.e. a wand, rod, or scepter), they generate a Blast on the target. The Blast does a modest amount of damage to all enemies in a Small area around the target (excluding the target).
  • Familiar - All wizards can summon and dismiss familiars. Familiars are mobile "totems" for the wizard, providing defensive bonuses to allies near them and inflicting defensive penalties to enemies near them. Players can also access the master's spell list through the familiar, though casting a spell through the familiar still requires the master to physically cast it; it's simply targeted from the familiar. Familiars are weak and fragile. If a familiar is killed, the wizard takes damage and is unable to summon his or her familiar until he or she rests again.
As players advance their characters, they have the ability to choose class-specific abilities and more class-neutral talents (more like perks or feats) to customize their character capabilities. If you want to keep your fighters very low maintenance, there are a large number of passive fighter abilities and combat-oriented talents that you can buy. If you'd like to make a fighter that's much more "active-use" (more like a 4E fighter), you can choose to buy more modal and active abilities. Similarly, while all wizards gain additional spells, you can use talents to boost a wizard's damage with implement weapons and Blasts, making them more useful when you're not having them chain-cast a series of limited-use spells.​

To read the update in full, go here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So far, this works well on paper, scales well, and seems to hold up in the game, but it is very "mathy" and not necessarily intuitive because you can't always guess a target's Damage Threshold simply by looking at them (as opposed to armor types, which are usually visually apparent). We will continue to experiment with this to see how it feels in the long run. Our goals are to provide tactical challenges to the player and give them to feedback and tools to adapt and overcome when they're in a difficult spot.
Knights of the Chalice allowed you to right click any enemy to view all their statistics. This was a great feature that removed the trial-and-error guesswork from combat. Josh, I need this.

Inventory sounds like a great way of reducing tedious micromanagement while preserving strategic decisions. Class abilities seem fine so far, but I'm curious as to how the animations for Escape and Reversal are going to look; people are going to rage if it's over-the-top like Dragon Age 2 rogue animations.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't think anyone said that there is something wrong with them. They even avoid the annoying feature of Fallout's by making some damage always occur no matter how high your DR is.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Really good update! It's beginning to look like multiclassing is out though... :(

Zakhad

Savant
Sawyer seems to really like damage thresholds.

I'd really like him to damage MY threshold, if you know what I mean...

I'm sorry: I tried to resist making that pun, but I just wasn't strong enough. :(

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Multiclassing is not redundant at all. Their system allows someone to make a paladin with lockpicking, but not a paladin with backstab or 1st level wizard spells.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not redundant at all. Their system allows someone to make a paladin with lockpicking, but not a paladin with backstab or 1st level wizard spells.

Those were just examples. There might be a way to get spellcasting, too. Like getting default feats of other classes in 3E.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Those were just examples. There might be a way to get spellcasting, too. Like getting default feats of other classes in 3E.
But this (baseless) speculation does not prove that multiclassing is in any way made obsolete by their character advancement system.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As long as there are no fireball like spells, it looks ok - blast should do that job.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
The biggest problem with no multiclassing is the inability to make fighter/mages. This is a problem since it's likely one of the most common character types people played in the IE games that Obsidian wishes to emulate. Oh well, I almost never multiclass anyway when I get to construct a whole party, but it's fun as hell for soloing.

A lock picking druid is starting to look pretty good, however. :smug:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
The biggest problem with no multiclassing is the inability to make fighter/mages. This is a problem since it's likely one of the most common character types people played in the IE games that Obsidian wishes to emulate. Oh well, I almost never multiclass anyway when I get to construct a whole party, but it's fun as hell for soloing.

for me, it was fighter/cleric actually. but then again i'm a faggot powergamer. my favorite was certainly rogue/mage though.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I hope they change the names of skills to something more thematic. For instance, "Recovery" could be... Chant of... Something

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
This is the update that has me worried. A lot. Still cautiously fapping until I hear exact specifics.
why?
i think it was quite all right
i like the idea of a spellcaster becoming more adept with lower level spells as he becomes more expert. and basically everything else i read
what worried you?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is the update that has me worried. A lot. Still cautiously fapping until I hear exact specifics.
why?
i think it was quite all right
i like the idea of a spellcaster becoming more adept with lower level spells as he becomes more expert. and basically everything else i read
what worried you?

meh not going to repeat myself. There is better discussion on this and concerns in the cRPG forum.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Pretty sure a tough melee priest will still be viable, but the fighter/mage/thief combos and whatnot are screwed when it comes to combat abilities. I really don't have a huge problem with it except they were fairly significant in BG and IWD. That said, I can think of a few better ways to do multiple class than the various methods used in D&D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom