Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Space Hulk Returns

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Alien Assault; Full Controlll; Games Workshop; Space Hulk; Teardown

Remember this one from the time EA still made something worthwhile every now and then?

Yeah, so did I. Amazing game. Well, there is a new version in the make. Little information apart from it also coming to iOS but hey, at least we've got a suitably hulking trailer.

Space Hulk is set in the isolated corridors and tomb-like chambers of an ancient vessel lost in the graveyard of space. Players lead a small army of fearless Space Marine Terminators to battle in a ferocious fight for survival against hordes of predatory alien Genestealers.

• Blood Angel terminator squad
• Fearsome Genestealers with challenging AI
• Thematic 3d environment
• Single player campaign based on the "Sin of Damnation" hulk
• New coop multiplayer levels against the Genestealer AI
• Multiplayer head-to-head recreating the board game experience against a friend
• Cross platform multiplayer between PC, Mac and iOS
• Level editor with ability to share creations
• Game expansions in the future as DLC

Exciting! Especially in using future DLC as a sales argument. For those needing their Space Hulk fix now, check out this fanmade remake. GW quickly banned it so if you want a more stable and updated version check out the rebranded Alien Assault.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Took your time, lazy dutchie.

Juggling agenda's, GD drama, reviews and having something of a wave of births going on around me fucked up the schedule. Sorry bro. Wanna become a newsposter at TC?

I'm only messing, much love to my bro from the low country.

As for Tcancer, my taste in RTS is pretty plebeian, i doubt our illustrious viewership would appreciate the likes of Heart of the Swarm polluting their hallowed halls.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Meh, I thought Stracraft 2 was pretty cool. And one of our very first reviews was one of that Star Wars RTS. Lemme know if you ever feel like slaving in front of a monitor for nothing but ridicule becoming a newsposter.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
The game itself will play a lot like the boardgame but we do some optimisations to make it more fluid, a little bit more action-ish.

:rage:

spectre

Arcane
So, they now have a bit more to show than just a half assed terminator render.

Doesn't look too bad. So long as they stay turn-based and keep it reasonably varied in terms of gameplay and art assets, I know it's freaking space hulk, but the dull corridors really got to me in the original.
Will se what they do with it. They name-drop XCOM quite a bit, if they're referring to the recent one, I think this givse us a hint as to what they mean when they say they want to add more acksun.
Though I gotta say, I'll be mad if they add QTE melee combat.

Tytus

Arcane

Doesn't look too bad. So long as they stay turn-based and keep it reasonably varied in terms of gameplay and art assets, I know it's freaking space hulk, but the dull corridors really got to me in the original.
Will se what they do with it. They name-drop XCOM quite a bit, if they're referring to the recent one, I think this givse us a hint as to what they mean when they say they want to add more acksun.

Also shitload of DLCs. Wanna have a power axe or an chain sword? Buy our dlc. :patriot:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!

I thought the original was real time?

spectre

Arcane
Indeed. The 1993 game was RtwP, and iirc SH2 was plain real time and much more shootery. Still, they refer to the boardgame a lot, so I assumed that was their main inspiration. And then there was that SH game that later on changed it's name after receiving a C&D from gays workshop which was turn based as well.

Truth be told, I'd prefer they went turn based, but the SH1 route is fine, too. Looking at the second screenshot, it may be either.

oscar

Arcane
Didn't the developer in a recent interview say he's a hardcore turn-based aficionado?

spectre

Arcane
Didn't the developer in a recent interview say he's a hardcore turn-based aficionado?
Well, they did say:
I mean, it’s still turn-based and that’s the core of it.
So, here's hoping.

Although I must say, I'm not a big fan of the space hulk setting, unless they spice it up a bit.

Misconnected

Savant
Although I must say, I'm not a big fan of the space hulk setting, unless they spice it up a bit.

The new game's campaign is going to be at least partially based on the the Sin of Damnation boardgame campaign.

On the positive side, it's definitely one of the better boardgame campaigns. On the negative, though, it's very much a boardgame campaign (quick and simple matches with lots of room for intelligent play) and entirely focused Blood Angels trying to redeem themselves for a past failure that nearly wiped out the Chapter.

The setting, though, is nowhere near that narrow. Space hulks are to 40K what Egyptian tombs were to Hollywood up to the 50s. Whatever's in them it's guaranteed to be something everyone wants, something that can end the world in the wrong hands, and something that both cursed and protected by myriad awesome obstacles.
- And of course, they usually carry passengers. Especially Eldar & Chaos pirates use hulks as mobile bases. Genestealers hitch rides on them. Orks outright colonise the things. Kilometre long space monsters wear them. And because hulks are thoroughly marinaded in Warp, it's not at all uncommon that the long dead crews of a hulk's vessels are still aboard, undead & kicking.

oscar

Arcane
Yeah, one thing that got a little stale in some of the Space Hulk variants and clones I've played is solely having genestealers as the game's only enemy.

spectre

Arcane
The setting, though, is nowhere near that narrow.
The setting, fluff and whatnot may very well be pretty diverse, but the problem is all of the adaptations I am familiar with only did long ass corridors and tyranids.
Though I faintly recall there being some chaos space marines in Space Hulk 2.

I also tend to get bored by the long ass corridors, especially when they got the same texture with little variety and interactivity. It's a bit like playing Dungeon Master with just the enemies and no puzzles.

Like I said, I hope they spice it up a bit.

Misconnected

Savant
I also tend to get bored by the long ass corridors, especially when they got the same texture with little variety and interactivity.

Space Hulk is a boardgame that pitches two players against each other, using two extremely asymmetrical sets of playing pieces. In a sense it's rather a lot like an asymmetrical Chess. And as a boardgame, it works ridiculously well. Incidentally, if you still play the boardgame I strongly suggest you Go-Go-Google the Space Hulk Bible, because elegant & minimalist as it is, it still sounds like you've missed out on about 90% of it.

But one of the critical components that 30'ish levels worth of single player campaign can't even attempt to provide, is a human opponent

Which is why Teardown's SH is about as good as a faithful SP SH adaptation can get.

I hope this new game offers a faithful adaptation of the MP gameplay. But like you I very much also hope they spice up the SP side with living corridors, haunted ballrooms out of the Titanic, explosive decompression hazards, Aliens 2 "they just keep coming" sentry gun defences, rival artefact hunters, daemonically possessed CATs, murderous ship AIs, and all the other cool shit hulks typically involve when they're not just an excuse for pitting two human players against each other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom