Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Neverwinter Nights Retrospective at Eurogamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BioWare; Neverwinter Nights

Over a decade after its release, Eurogamer's Paul Dean writes about his memories of Bioware's controversial game:

By the turn of the century, all us PC owners were accustomed to sliding 3D cards into our machines and come 2002 I don't think there was anyone among us who wasn't on their second or third card. BioWare wanted to exploit this technology as much as any of the ubiquitous first-person shooters that swarmed the market and so it put its popular Infinity Engine to bed. Lush as its rendered backgrounds were, there was no room now for 2D or isometric RPGs.​

In its place, the Aurora engine would provide a full 3D experience, allowing players to zoom, pan and glide their way around a new game world populated by polygons. Furthermore, Aurora would come with its own toolset, giving gamers the chance to create new environments, new dungeons and new adventures for one another, even letting us role-play together, one player taking the role of the Dungeon Master, guiding the other players and shaping the world about them. It was this, most of all, that would be our great step forward.​

But Neverwinter Nights stumbled. The game paid a terrible price for its technology. Once I was able to squeeze my way through all the hype and marketing and reach for a copy, I found myself with a game that was as bland as a baked potato. While BioWare had indeed given its new game a full 3D engine with all sorts of real-time lighting effects, it had forgotten to include that which had made its earlier titles so rich, engaging and endearing. It had forgotten to give it personality.​

He mentions the bland, prefabricated levels and the lack of party dynamic in the single player game as the main flaws, as well as the cumbersome interface which made playing multiplayer modules with a DM a plodding affair. On the plus side:

Neverwinter Nights had something of a small victory when it came to its accessibility compared to BioWare's previous RPGs. It introduced gamers to Third Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules, the Second Edition rules going the same way as the Infinity Engine. The Second Edition was always a curious thing to try to understand even outside of the context of a computer game, but the Third Edition system presented mechanics that were much more logical and consistent, not least because it was mostly about adding numbers to other numbers in the hope of achieving a bigger, better number.​

The game's real saving would come later with the release of two expansions, Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark, and what was one of the earliest DLC collections, the Premium Modules. Among its offerings, the first expansion added much needed tile-sets, scripting tools and more playthings, while the second was widely praised for featuring a single-player campaign that was far more involving than the seemingly endless series of fetch quests that described the main game. Finally, Neverwinter Nights was worthwhile, just as long as you were willing to pay a little more.​

What isn't mentioned in the retrospective is the surprisingly little known fact that the disappointing Neverwinter Nights original campaign was a troubled project that suffered from severe cuts to its ambitious original design.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Have you guys ever seen the Neverwinter Nights trailer that was there in the Baldur's Gate 2 disc?

Really, you could just place yourself in the shoes of someone watching this trailer back in 2000, and thinking that Neverwinter Nights is going to be a groundbreaking release in the genre. The music for the trailer and the promise of a BG2 sequel in NWN make it look much grander than what it actually turned out to be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember my own reaction to NWN.

"Hey, this isn't like Baldur's Gate at all!"

and then:

"Well...I spent money on this...and 3E is pretty cool. Let's accept it for what it is and try to make the most of it."

Which with the expansion packs and fan modules, eventually paid off. But it seems more people just ragequitted at that point.

Dorateen

Arcane
Eurogamer's Paul Dean writes

The Second Edition was always a curious thing to try to understand even outside of the context of a computer game, but the Third Edition system presented mechanics that were much more logical and consistent, not least because it was mostly about adding numbers to other numbers in the hope of achieving a bigger, better number.

Of course, because counting backward, subtraction and the concept of negative integers are so difficult to understand. Writer deserves to be kicked down the side of a mountain.

And Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor introduced 3.0 mechanics to a cRPG before NWN.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

and then:

"Well...I spent money on this...and 3E is pretty cool. Let's accept it for what it is and try to make the most of it."

Which with the expansion packs and fan modules, eventually paid off. But it seems more people just ragequitted at that point.
Yeah, SoU and HotU were worthwhile, even if annoying for the very same reasons that they did not have a full controllable party. Plus the interface problems, and not being able to control things as well as the IE games.

Anyway, even the expansions had some annoying puzzles in their campaigns. Like the colour cuboid puzzle at the beginning of HotU. Really annoying.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Eurogamer's Paul Dean writes

The Second Edition was always a curious thing to try to understand even outside of the context of a computer game, but the Third Edition system presented mechanics that were much more logical and consistent, not least because it was mostly about adding numbers to other numbers in the hope of achieving a bigger, better number.

Of course, because counting backward, subtraction and the concept of negative integers are so difficult to understand. Writer deserves to be kicked down the side of a mountain.

And Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor introduced 3.0 mechanics to a cRPG before NWN.

Speaking of Ruins of Myth Drannor, I've always wondered about the licensing issues behind that game. Did Interplay not have exclusivity on making D&D games at that point?

Now that I think about it, IWD2 and NWN were developed simultaneously under two different publishers, so I guess not.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

and then:

I tried out fan modules for a while but it didn't end up being an enjoyable experience. They were all crammed on nwvault, which didn't really sort them well except by rating, and even back in 2002 you couldn't trust the bioware fanbase to give accurate ratings to things when they were voting by the thousand. Most of the campaigns I downloaded were banal shit boring, sometimes well made technically but always lacking in interesting content. Finding a couple that I did enjoy wasn't worth all the crap I had to wade through.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

and then:

I tried out fan modules for a while but it didn't end up being an enjoyable experience. They were all crammed on nwvault, which didn't really sort them well except by rating, and even back in 2002 you couldn't trust the bioware fanbase to give accurate ratings to things when they were voting by the thousand. Most of the campaigns I downloaded were banal shit boring, sometimes well made technically but always lacking in interesting content. Finding a couple that I did enjoy wasn't worth all the crap I had to wade through.

I was thinking more about the expansion packs. The good fan modules (and the premium modules) were just the cherry on top.

But yeah, I suppose it helped if you had the advice of trustworthy bros about which modules were worth checking out.

AMG

Arbiter
I don't undestand why people think NWN expansions are better than OC? It was more of the same. I mean sure, if you like NWN, then expansions are probably okay. But they weren't improving on original content in any meaningful way. Unless collecting artifacts is hella lot better than collecting critters and power words or whatever they were called. Well okay, in the second one at least the locations are a bit more interesting but still...

On an urelated note, hearing IWD music in that trailer... so stronk.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't undestand why people think NWN expansions are better than OC? It was more of the same.

It really wasn't. A classical non-linear dungeon crawl? Underdark intrigue culminating in an RTS-like massive battle? Travelling the planes like in PS:T? When did you get to do this in the OC?

Both of the expansion packs fixed what was for me the most annoying part of the OC - the endless chests of randomized loot that were all over the place.

AMG

Arbiter
It really wasn't. A classical non-linear dungeon crawl? Underdark intrigue culminating in an RTS-like massive battle? Travelling the planes like in PS:T? When did you get to do this in the OC?
DnD while controlling one dude isn't really my idea of fun dungeon crawl. I fail to see anything intriguing about HoU plot, it's basically drow attacking the surface(what for?), except satan is behind it all.
RTS-like really? You are controlling one character.
And travelling planes is nothing like PST. Plane travel is integral part of Planescape, you are casually meeting people from different worlds. Chick who fall into sigil by accident, demons chilling in a bar, dude who is fading into negative plane or something like that. You could see that Sigil really was crossroads of planes, plane travel wasn't something existing in a vacuum. In NWN you just happen to go to hell (it's frozen because satan is not home, funny!), and reaper plane. Whats cool about that? Still hacking through hell is a lot better than sword coast for zillionth time, I admit.
Both of the expansion packs fixed what was for me the most annoying part of the OC - the endless chests of randomized loot that were all over the place.
Fair enough, if that was your main gripe with NWN, then expansions are indeed an improvement.

Dorateen

Arcane

Speaking of Ruins of Myth Drannor, I've always wondered about the licensing issues behind that game. Did Interplay not have exclusivity on making D&D games at that point?

Now that I think about it, IWD2 and NWN were developed simultaneously under two different publishers, so I guess not.

Ubisoft was tapped as the publisher for PoR2, and Stormfront/SSI were the developers retaining some rights to the Pool of Radiance brand. Early 2000/2001 was kind of a messy scene regarding DnD licensing, wasn't it? Would have been nice if multiple publishers could have continued separate releases. At least PoR2 and IWD2, as you mentioned, offered a contrast from the dominance of NWN.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Fair enough, if that was your main gripe with NWN, then expansions are indeed an improvement.

Not exactly my main gripe, just the most annoying thing.

The OC's main flaw to me was that it was half-baked and uninteresting. The expansions fixed that. But sure, if the main thing that bothered you was the lack of a controllable party and somewhat wonky controls then yes, then the expansions didn't change anything.

Ubisoft was tapped as the publisher for PoR2, and Stormfront/SSI were the developers retaining some rights to the Pool of Radiance brand.
Interesting. Too bad Brian Fargo can't do the same with "Torment".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Tigranes

Arcane
Have you guys ever seen the Neverwinter Nights trailer that was there in the Baldur's Gate 2 disc?

Really, you could just place yourself in the shoes of someone watching this trailer back in 2000, and thinking that Neverwinter Nights is going to be a groundbreaking release in the genre. The music for the trailer and the promise of a BG2 sequel in NWN make it look much grander than what it actually turned out to be.

That's exactly what I did, waiting 3+ years for that bloody game. I was a poor teenager and spent many a moment imagining some kind of BG2 on steroids.

Sadly, the toolset and engine were the only good things about the whole affair. I don't think SOU and HOTU were much good, either.

himmy

Arcane
Ubisoft was tapped as the publisher for PoR2, and Stormfront/SSI were the developers retaining some rights to the Pool of Radiance brand. Early 2000/2001 was kind of a messy scene regarding DnD licensing, wasn't it? Would have been nice if multiple publishers could have continued separate releases. At least PoR2 and IWD2, as you mentioned, offered a contrast from the dominance of NWN.

There was something that always bothered me. I'm not at all familiar with the pen and paper games scene so this might turn out to be a stupid question, but why are the people in charge of the DnD licence in general and the Forgotten Realms setting in particular so reticent towards new cRPGs using it? I mean, surely having some of the most popular and critically acclaimed products of the entire medium (BG, PS:T etc) use your license is a reason to continue expanding in that direction. Did they lose money from this or what? i just can't wrap my head around this.

Murk

Arcane
I have no real understanding of the workings that lead to that decision, but I assume having people hold fond memories and views of your now-retired rule-sets is a no-go for a company that is periodically putting out new-rules that require you to invest money into the many, many rules books.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
NWN was one of my first RPGs. Never got past Chapter Two of the OC, which I found to be banal shit boring, but I did complete Hordes of the Underdark and I remember Shadows of Undrentide being a solid expansion as well. The toolkit was also pretty fun to mess around with.

waywardOne

Arcane
I can't believe I finished that turd of a campaign (NWN). SoU was confirmation that, indeed, Bioware was already tapped out. HotU had some great new gameplay elements -- at least early in the campaign, iirc -- but it was still the same shit, only now with MOAR EPIC.

What's that you say? Fan modules? Of the top-10 rated, I played more than 4 hours (that's 7 times in dog years) only one. The rest were sentimental trudges through overwrought dialogs with plots just as BSB as the OC, just like what Bioware themselves would do later.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I enjoyed the player created modules too much to care about the shitty campaign.
I did finish it once but forgot what it was about. I think it was about the return of dinosaurs and how bastila couldn't resist the lure of the dark after her lover got hanged for being a stupid accomplice..

or some shit like that.

Xavier0889

Learned
It's kinda funny they said that NWN was an easier approach to D&D's rules. You just got to press the "Reccommended" button every time you had to do something with your stats or skills. I feel you don't really have to understand the rules, just focus on the ACKSHUN! I've learned a lot more about D&D's system with BG and IWD.

Also: while mediocre, I had fun with this game. Can't explain why, but I just kept on playing. One of the most hilarious moments is found on chapter two, when the emo paladin Aribeth talks to you about her and accepts you as a friend: one of the dialogue choices is something like "Does this mean we can fuck now?".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom