Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview TotalBiscuit Interviews Adam Brennecke

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

Youtube personality John Bain, AKA TotalBiscuit, did a thirty minute interview with Project Eternity Director Adam Brennecke.

I didn't know it was pronounced "Brennecky".

Notable takeaways from the interview:
  • Despite being 2D, the game will feature certain 3D-style graphical effects, such as lighting effects on characters.
  • The game will generally not adhere to the MMO-style "Tank/Healer/DPS holy trinity" model. For example, fighters will have some self-healing capacity (of stamina, presumably?) and priests will be quite capable in combat.
  • The Endless Paths megadungeon was conceived first and foremost as a publicity gimmick. It will probably be a straight no-frills dungeon crawl, with only a quest or two at the top levels to connect it with the rest of the game.
  • The player house will be upgradable to a stronghold - they will not be two separate locations.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not convinced he knew what he was talking about in regards to the stronghold. It seemed like his focus had been stretched a little thin, and he might have misspoke.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not convinced he knew what he was talking about in regards to the stronghold. It seemed like his focus had been stretched a little thin, and he might have misspoke.

Well, the game is in pre-production. In theory, everything he's said here could turn out to be incorrect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
[*]The game will generally not adhere to the MMO-style "Tank/Healer/DPS holy trinity" model.
When did this shit become a thing, anyway? There are people on the codex that actually defend it.

I'm not entirely sure, but I do know that the concept of a "tank" was around (in MUDs) long before it was combined with the other two

Also I think people used to talk about "hitters" as opposed to "DPS"

Shadenuat

Arcane
Brennecke does't seem to be comfortable when it comes to discussing indeep game design.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
so the boo will be there as I understand

TB really wants him to be. Brennecke was more like "uh...what?" So I wouldn't assume so.

Brennecke does't seem to be comfortable when it comes to discussing indeep game design.

More like it's really awkward to have interviews at this point. It's not a stage developers usually talk at, and a lot of questions just don't have an answer, or if you answer it you'll later have to renege on your comments and piss people off. Awkward spot.

Shadenuat

Arcane
More like it's really awkward to have interviews at this point. It's not a stage developers usually talk at, and a lot of questions just don't have an answer, or if you answer it you'll later have to renege on your comments and piss people off. Awkward spot.

Compare to Mattchat with Sawyer, you say "memorise!" to him, he goes on 10 minutes rant about cooldowns, spellcasting systems, D&D and so on.

I don't expect a print of their design documents sent to me; what I want to hear is their dreams and ideas about game, of course there can'be any set in stone, cold hard facts of how the game will turn out. Just dreaming and ranting is enough for me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Isn't Brennecke just their Kickstarter director? I don't think he has much relation to the project besides that. At least, when we interviewed him, we mostly asked him questions related to the Kickstarter for that reason.

Dorateen

Arcane
Sure, the Endless Paths might have started as a publicity gimmick, but it will come to be characterized as a central pillar in this adventure before the whole thing is over, you'll see!

And I prefer dungeons without "frills", thank you very much.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The player house will be upgradable to a stronghold - they will not be two separate locations.
I remember Feargus saying the opposite in the Kickstarter comments section. Flip flop!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I was being facetious and Rex-like. Managing scope is pretty important.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's interesting how the self-consciously introverted and anti-social Josh Sawyer is actually a better interviewer than the merely awkward Adam Brennecke.

To say nothing of Cleve. :smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
[*]The game will generally not adhere to the MMO-style "Tank/Healer/DPS holy trinity" model.
When did this shit become a thing, anyway? There are people on the codex that actually defend it.

While not labeled as such the fight mechanics of Gold Box games worked the same way: front line melee fighters were out in front while the mages and clerics were in the back shielded from, at least, monster melee attacks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

While not labeled as such the fight mechanics of Gold Box games worked the same way: front line melee fighters were out in front while the mages and clerics were in the back shielded from, at least, monster melee attacks.

That's not quite the same thing. The implication of the (un)holy trinity is that "Healers", for example, are only good for healing, at least when fighting against challenging, non-trash mob enemies. Tanks are only good for tanking, DPS are only good for hitting.

AD&D is definitely not like that.

Moribund

A droglike
Best game like what you're trying to do in the last ten years? "I'd say dragon age" "dragon age did a really good job"

4 million down the toilet.

Nice art but I just know this game will have shit combat and classes and combat system that are a joke.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Best game like what you're trying to do in the last ten years? "I'd say dragon age" "dragon age did a really good job"

Nice art but I just know this game will have shit combat and classes and combat system that are a joke.
Fun fact: Josh Sawyer hasn't played either Dragon Age. Pretty telling, considering he has played Oblivion, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Skryim.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Fun fact: Josh Sawyer hasn't played either Dragon Age. Pretty telling, considering he has played Oblivion, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Skryim.

Interesting. Source?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom