Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Interview and Official Blog Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Josh Jertberg; Wasteland 2

The ever tactful and polite fellows at Gamestar.ru have scored an interview with Brian Fargo. Most of it is retreading familiar ground, but there is some hard data on the game's systems:

What about the characters? Will players be able to customize them or are we going to choose from several pre-made characters with their own dispositions and preferrences? Are the conflicts within the team possible? Are NPCs going to react on different characters in different ways? Or are all those promised kilobytes of text going to be simple «you got the job, now go fight»?

Players will be able to create a character from scratch or choose a military occupational specialty (like corps of engineers) which will set the base stats and skills. But even then the player can continue to tweak the skills and attributes the way they want. There will be over 30 different skills that the player uses to customize themselves with. The ranger squad that the players creates are wholly under the control of the player. This is more classic role playing however the NPCs that join the party will not be under full control which means they waste ammo, steal from the party, open fire on people and potentially cause havoc for the rangers. Players won't always quite know what they are getting when someone joins up.​

What about the roleplaying system? Are we getting the classic strength, intellect, luck, agility, dexterity, charisma and other dozen and a half of characteristics? Or are you planning to upgrade the leveling mechanics of the original Wasteland? If you're not, chances are you might get in trouble with Bethesda that owns the rights on S.P. E.C.I. A.L system and, not to mention, just loves taking other companies to the court. Don't you apprehend such possibility?

We are improving on the original skill system from Wasteland. Much of that system was pulled from Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes and influenced the other popular RPG systems that are around today. It provides more than enough flexibility in what we are trying to achieve.​

And there's also this response from Brian that should be a crowd pleaser:

So, Interplay and Black Isle are coming back to life. Have you received any offers to return to your lares and penates? What do you think, wouldn't it be great to gather the dream-team together once again and make another game with your old friends?

I feel like I am already working with my old friends at Black Isle already. We speak frequently and I gave them input on their Kickstarter pre launch to share my experiences. InXile and Obsidian are going to work hard to make Southern California the RPG hub again.​

For complaints about the lack of a console version, complaints about lack of voice acting, complaints about hardcore difficulty levels, complaints about Chris Avellone being a marketing gimmick, and complaints about not using a Russian game engine, you can read the entire interview here.

In other news, there's also a new official Wasteland 2 blog post. This one is by Josh Jertberg, the game's lead animator. Much like the Kickstarter update with John Alvarado, it's highly technical. Here are the relevant bits:

Animation in Wasteland 2 was an unknown for me, never having worked with the Unity engine before. I did know one thing in my mind though when we started: I wanted to hand-key the animations. It’s an ambitious goal of mine and one I hope fans appreciate in the end. It’s my feeling that I can bring more personality and flexibility to the animation, as opposed to using motion capture. Plus, let’s face it; as an Animator I will be more artistically invested in my hand-keyed animations. Even with the best motion capture actors you are many times stuck using what you have recorded. The unique aspects and camera of this game do present some good opportunity and challenge for me as an Animator.​

One of the struggles as an animator in games is the animation system. A good system can make or break the look of the animations. The animation is broken into so many different pieces that if you don’t have some decent way of controlling that, the entire flow of the animation can feel off. Animation systems have evolved a LOT in the past few years. Wasteland 2 is not a controller driven game and many of these systems are designed for analogue input. I needed a simpler solution and I think I’ve found one.​

Browsing the Unity store for animation solutions I found exactly what I needed. I am familiar with the use of an animation tree to drive in game animation states. Sage: Anim Graph Editor is a tool that allows me to intuitively build animation trees that drive the different states of the characters. This is all accomplished without me writing a single line of script. I have no talent for that, but Sage helps me overcome my inability to write script in Unity. I have built up one heck of an animation tree for our rangers so far, and I love the level of control I have over the flow of the animation. The Rangers have a lot of “states” they can be in, so being able to manage and build those states myself is liberating.​

Josh invites you to discuss this topic on the official Wasteland 2 forums.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
30 skills when designers are unable to balance 10?
Balance. In a single player game. HAHAHA.

vodka addled moron said:
Don't you think that by denying the right of players preferring consoles to see Wasteland 2 released on their favourite platform, you're probably acting not that different from a publishing companies that refuse to make a PC verison of some of their titles?
"Right"? What the actual fuck? Well, at least Fargo basically called him on his stupidity: "That is a very unique perspective." Read: "You are fucking retarded."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That Wasteland 2 forum thread is pretty :obviously: btw. Like I said, the retards left those forums long ago, the quality posters remained.

EDIT: Okay, it actually gets kind of derpy at the end. :lol:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, those questions: WHAAAA, you're being a PC snob!! WHAAAA! Why won't you do consoles/ tablet versions?!! WHAAAA, why won't you have voice acting since it makes character personality?!! WHAAAAA , why are you listening to your backers, you're being reactionary?!!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Isn't gameshit.ru that site or whatever that always, in every goddamn interview with an RPG developers asks them the same stupid shit including whether they'd have "cool, awesome, pregenerated characters" or "boring, soulless, customizable characters"?

wormix

Augur
That Wasteland 2 forum thread is pretty :obviously: btw. Like I said, the retards left those forums long ago, the quality posters remained.

EDIT: Okay, it actually gets kind of derpy at the end. :lol:
Nothing can beat that Scope guy in the blog comments. Just click on his username. Or don't. Actually don't.

Nice interview, I can't wait to get/see some more actual info about the game. Everything in that interview sounds great to me, but then, Brian IS a marketing guru, so who knows...

I have been waiting for years to get something of a postapocalyptic crpg successor of Wasteland, Fallout 1 & 2, and after Van Buren was canceled, I was devastated. Now, I have hope again to play something as glorious as those "old" gems. I hope they won't fuck it up.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't care about balance in SP games unless the design is so incompetent that there is literally only one way to allocate skills / pick traits / whatever. I personally think the overbalancing where every skill must have the exact same value as all the others is one of the biggest design crimes, because it often leads to total blandness.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't care about balance in SP games unless the design is so incompetent that there is literally only one way to allocate skills / pick traits / whatever. I personally think the overbalancing where every skill must have the exact same value as all the others is one of the biggest design crimes, because it often leads to total blandness.
Only uncreative hacks do that. Anyway with 30 skills it's clear Wasteland 2's not going to be anything like that, and it'll preserve the phased obsolescence of the original. Hopefully this time with fewer or no "this skill is only checked once and never again" parts.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's 30 skills *over a party* though. Not 30 skills per individual player character. That's the difference between party-based cRPG and individual-character cRPG. You don't need a perfect balance of skills and an absolute vital need for every skill to see frequent use, because the skill points and skills are spread over different characters, including followers, and some can freely be pretty minor and less frequently used, it won't feel like such a waste because you have 4 PCs anyway. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see some skills unique to certain followers in that list of 30 skills.

Communicating the value of a skill to the player is pretty key though. Toaster Repair won't see much use and hopefully not much need for investment, but in other skills there should be a reasonable way for players to gauge value, but without hand-holding. Tricky to balance that, but not undoable.

Combat Shooting was just a fuckup I think.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
30 skills when designers are unable to balance 10?
I love having a crapload of mostly useless skills.

Because then I can make 100% crippled characters like this:
Falth.png

And see if I can still win the game. Plus, it really forces you to find an alternative means of doing everything else. Which is its own fun.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
WHY NO USE MIGHTY RUSSIAN ENGINE OF VIDEO GAME FOR GLORY OF MOTHERLAND? IS HARD WORKER.

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
Why should Russian gaming journalists be more polite or tactful than the average Russian truck driver/ policeman/ oil magnate? When in St. Petersburg, beat up some hookers do as the Russians do

almondblight

Arcane

The problem with unbalanced skills is that it can screw up game difficulty. You either make the game difficult for players who unknowingly pick the wrong skills (which modern designers are loathe to do) or make the game too easy for the players that pick the right ones.

hiver

Not necessarily. Its not like there is just one, binary extreme solution.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2710

I just read a great blog post from indie developer and Wasteland 2 fan, Craig Stern on his site, Sinister Design http://sinisterdesign.net/?p=1747. He details different types of skill upgrade systems and offers up one of his own that was discussed on our forums earlier.

yeah, like...its his theory... nyah, nyah, nyah... because he wrote it on a blog... nyah, nyah, nyah...

well... atleast theyve seem to noticed it was discussed on the forums earlier.
And its primary and complimentary skills, mind you.

WHY NO USE MIGHTY RUSSIAN ENGINE OF VIDEO GAME FOR GLORY OF MOTHERLAND? IS HARD WORKER.

You can mock the russians all you want, but russians and eastern europeans will prove to be a larger audience for a game like this, than kwans. They have their post apocalyptic fix in the form of Fallout 3. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom