Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #23

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

You haven't forgotten about Dead State, have you? In this month's update, Brian Mitsoda (I assume) brings us up to date with the progress they have made since last time we heard from them.

This month’s progress has mostly involved our programming, design, and art staff plugging away at a few ongoing large-scale tasks. Dialogues for most of the allies have been finished up to first draft standards, which is a lot of writing! We’ve also been finishing up system revisions and GUIs, with most of the GUIs for the game existing in their final form now. Our programmers have continued to add more and more functionality to our combat, loot, and equipment systems and revised numerous tools to help us more quickly construct and implement items. As we get more attack and death animations in place (we just upgraded our model rigs to allow them more range of movement), combat will start looking a lot more like it will in the final game. All the Kickstarter items have been fully designed and balanced against our other weapons.

On the art side, the art team continues to construct our modular shops and city pieces. Now that the shelter assets are all finished, we’ve started working on the first few areas the player will visit in the game. The modular commercial district pieces are used to build the various towns, shopping areas, and rest stops found in the game. You can see a bit of some of the pieces in shot below:

All the sidewalks, roads, stores, awnings, and street props are individual parts, somewhat like a city toy box that allows us to rearrange them and easily construct them into new levels. Ease of assembly is pretty important because of the number of locations in our game. Interestingly enough, our art team has virtually visited Central Texas through Google maps to look for inspiration in constructing many of the town maps.

Additionally, we’ve hired on an assistant programmer to assist us with scheduling, conventions, testing, and managing Kickstarter. The producer’s job is to crack the whip and make sure we’re finishing our tasks on time. We’re hoping to bring on a few extra people to help out on other tasks in the near future.

As we go forward, many of the individual pieces we’ve built (dialogue, models, systems) are going to start coming together and allow for more functional builds that feel a lot more like the final game. If you can’t wait for the next update, remember to stop by our forums if you have questions. For those of you on the Radio, we’ve also got a new update for you today too. For those of you in the US, we wish you the best of luck scavenging yourself up some cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie filling this week. We’ll be back next month for another update on Dead State – thanks for your continued patience and support!​

You can also read the update on Kickstarter, if you're a backer.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i did, through the superior option of the codex fundraiser.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
i did, through the superior option of the codex fundraiser.
well I updated it now.
I also uploaded the screenshot to the codex gallery. click it for a bigger version.

Morkar Left

Additionally, we’ve hired on an assistant programmer to assist us with scheduling, conventions, testing, and managing Kickstarter. The producer’s job is to crack the whip and make sure we’re finishing our tasks on time. We’re hoping to bring on a few extra people to help out on other tasks in the near future.

Though, they are completely unable to keep their shedule? I guess that makes them real designer guys :D Good thing they realized that they need someone other to make the schedules. Where's a whip there's a will!

EG

Nullified
You haven't forgotten about Dead State, have you?
I uh . . . :oops:

Wow, that picture is almost as riveting as the busily-textured basement. Just look at that huge mass of invisible zombies and brand new cars we'll get to look at!

Why is this assistant programmer really a secretary instead of a programmer?

I've wasted my twenty dollars, haven't I? No, no! You will not win me over, Negativity: It'll be good. It has to be good. It'll be like Age of Decadence but with zombies and a modern setting! It has to be.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
But it'll have zombie diplomacy.

"Errrrrrm . . . Braaaiinnnns."
> If you protect us, we will let you eat %Aggitator%
> Eat them. [Give location]
> Die, Corpse, die!

Indeed. That's why zombies cannot really be used in any major way in an RPG. Essentially they should only serve as replacement for Radscorpions/various other critters.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It'll be like Age of Decadence but with zombies and a modern setting! It has to be.
Other than sharing an engine and being a turn-based RPG, I don't see how it'll be anything like AoD. Two very different approaches.

Indeed. That's why zombies cannot really be used in any major way in an RPG. Essentially they should only serve as replacement for Radscorpions/various other critters.
RPGs where the majority of NPCs are hostile are pretty much the norm though? The talking happens with your companions and other people.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Finally, an update from my favorite vaporware upcoming game (right behind AoD, of course - which at this point looks as probable as a supernova engulfing our beloved sun).

And now that they even have a secretary administrative assistant to make the schedule - only four months after being funded - they can start working on the schedule. I am sure they gonna smash my prediction of a 2020 2014 pre-alpha demo release. Godspeed.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The screenshots keep getting better and better with each update. First they showed a school. Now we get to see a shop with an openeable door, and three cars with accurate number plates.

What will they come up with next?

EG

Nullified
It'll be like Age of Decadence but with zombies and a modern setting! It has to be.
Other than sharing an engine and being a turn-based RPG, I don't see how it'll be anything like AoD. Two very different approaches.
:eek:
How will it not be AoD?

No, no. This is just like AoD suddenly not being Fallout all over again. Damn you, Vince!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That's actually extremely clever to keep updates secret, so only 10,096 / 7,000,000,000 people can bitch about them. :smug:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
After the disappointment of the X-Com remake, I am really starting to looking forward to Dead State to get my squad turn-based tactical fix. Do not disappoint me. Please?

Marsal

Arcane
After the disappointment of the X-Com remake, I am really starting to looking forward to Dead State to get my squad turn-based tactical fix. Do not disappoint me. Please?

6ss3t.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom