Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Early Look at Divinity: Original Sin

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

Indie Game Magazine looked early at Larian Studio's upcoming turn-based cRPG Divinity: Original Sin.

Divinity: Original Sin is Larian Studios‘ first turn-based game in the Divinity series. Previously, publishers had disallowed the team to develop a turn-based strategy title, so Larian Studios decided to make one on their own.

Larian Studios promises class-free character customization, allowing player to play the game however they wish. Divinity: Original Sin focuses heavily on co-op gameplay, as there are two heroes and an interesting dialogue-choice mechanic that allows both players to select different dialogue choices, with the computer randomly selecting decisions when both parties are split. This is very similar to what was seen in last year’s Star Wars: The Old Republic.

As seen in the gameplay teaser, items can be combined in a variety of ways, for a variety of outcomes. “If it’s not nailed to the ground,” says Larian Studios, “it can be moved, used, or combined.” Ontop of in-game interactivity, Larian Studios is also including a level designer within Divinity: Original Sin that will allow players to construct and share their own levels.
Trailer:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Level designer? Is there game integration, or 'just' separate levels?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Edited. Whoops should have read the article first. It'll probably work like NWN?
As Producer David Walgrave explained during a hands-off demo of Original Sin at E3 2012, the game will ship with the complete editor — the same tools the developers use to create Original Sin. And that means players will be able to make just about everything that appears in the game, including dialog between characters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well a "level designer" can just be someone who creates areas, but they've stated in another article that Original Sin is going to be divided up into several areas (like Divine Divinity or Divinity 2) due to memory concerns. All those items, plus they have a future console port in mind. Don't feel like digging for the source though.

"All those items"? Didn't stop Ultima 7 way back in 1992. And U7 is supposed to be a major inspiration for this game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Damnit I suspected some quick person would quote my original post.

"All those items"? Didn't stop Ultima 7 way back in 1992. And U7 is supposed to be a major inspiration for this game.
Times have changed. This is a 3D game with 3D objects with physics and shit.

Editin' in mah source
http://gamingbolt.com/divinity-orig...story-spells-and-tons-of-new-details-revealed
Are we going to see loading screens when the player moves from one area to another?
Yes, the world is split up into levels. We’re making sure there aren’t too many level loads, but with the character count and item count that we need to take care of, this is currently the only way we can offer all this content.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
This is one of the games I anticipate most. It has a lot of potential for :incline:, I hope I won't be disappointed.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Edited. Whoops should have read the article first. It'll probably work like NWN?

Not very good then. I was hoping for morrowind like, where the main game can be expanded by separate plugins.

Can you imagine the nerdgasm?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Assuming they are ever going to actually be released. Cleve's track record is legendary, after all and spouting a few Codex memes in his videos is his not a sufficient remedy.

Dorateen

Arcane
Just a general comment in response to the notion that modern games have to deal with 3D and physics, and that's supposed to be totally awesome or some progressive twaddle like that.

Whether or not Grimoire gets released remains to be seen. The pitch videos and gameplay videos alone have demonstrated that their design direction is superior.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not even 2D can save you. When you compare the graphics from some flash based modern adventure game with the gorgeous backgrounds in say QfG4 the winner is immediately obvious. Fuck Flash. (aaaah!)

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
This game has so much potential. I'm just bummed there are no classes. Skill based char gen is usually shit.

Also, I dearly hope there are party members...

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
This game has so much potential. I'm just bummed there are no classes. Skill based char gen is usually shit.

Also, I dearly hope there are party members...

early interviews from when the game was announced said it's the 2 main characters + 2 slots for mercenaries + 4 slots for AI-controlled monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom