Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Get a pegleg and parrot for Distant Worlds: Shadows

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Distant Worlds; Matrix Games; Shadows

Some light was shed on Shadows, the upcoming expansion for Distant Worlds. In it we will get new technologies, buildings, ship abilities and some mayor changes to the ground combat system. We will however apparantly also get to become the scourge of merchant shipping if we so desire.
What were previously “pirates” are now independent space-based factions that can pursue a variety of playstyles, ranging from trade, war and espionage to pure chaos and plunder.
Here is the promised feature list.
- Play as an independent space-based faction, a very different play experience from the existing “Empire” gameplay.
– Choose from several playstyles, including Smuggler, Pirate and Mercenary.
– Compete in victory conditions against other space-based factions.
– New Pirate Leader and Pirate Captain characters
- Choose to play in the existing Distant Worlds timeline or the pre-hyperspace “Age of Shadows”
- Assault pods and ship to ship or base boarding actions, including ship and base capture
- Gravitic Weapons and Tractor Beams
- New expanded Ground Combat with new troop types and an animated ground battle resolution screen
– Infantry, Armor/Mech, Special Forces, Planetary Defense Units (multi-layered)
– Resolution of the multiple stages of a planetary assault
– Expanded troop experience
– New Ground Combat technology tree
- Expanded and improved Area Weapons
- New planetary facilities
- Improved AI and new comprehensive difficulty settings

Arrrr.

TripJack

Hedonist
excellent, another $25 expansion is just what the game needs

Misconnected

Savant

In terms of price per hour, DW will still be one of the cheapest gaming experiences for me after I've bought Shadows.

Also: proper planetary invasions! Fuck yeah :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds good. I'll definitely give this a shot since DW is one of the best space 4x games out there. Do hope they'll improve the AI, though.

Morkar Left

How many expansions are there already and is there a bundle available?

Misconnected

Savant
There's the base game Distant Worlds, the 1st expansion Return of The Shakturi, and the 2nd expansion Legends. And of course, there's the upcoming 3rd expansion this thread is about.

When Legends was released, the dev somehow managed to convince Matrix to do significantly cheaper (but not cheap) bundle deal. If the price bothers you, you might want wait and see if something similar happens when Shadows gets released. But even if it does, you shouldn't expect such a bundle to be cheap.

In case you're not already aware Matrix themselves sets the price on the games they distribute, and unlike other outlets & publishers, they don't do so according to some perceived demand-price relationship. Matrix prices are always the value of a black market kidney or a first born son. The advantage of this system is that you allegedly can pay with those, if you somehow happen to have a spare but lack a credit card. But if you're thinking about going with the kidney option, I'd suggest you sell it elsewhere and transfer the money to Matrix. Because their services are as brutal as their prices.

curry

Arcane

Jews gonna jew

by which I mean of course they'll keep making expansions as long as fools buy them. You'll need to vote with your wallet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom