Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher Interview Part 2 at Firing Squad

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.firingsquad.com/games/the_witcher_interview_part_2/default.asp>Part 2</a> of an <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/index.php#3694>interview</a> with the guys at CD Projekt who are working on The Witcher has been posted at <a href=http://www.firingsquad.com>Firing Squad</a>.<blockquote>The gameplay has been entirely modified as well. We’ve given up the turn-based system and implemented frantic and spectacular real-time fights enhanced with a range of graphical effects, like blood splattering on various surfaces (walls, floors), and ‘coup de grace’ bullet time effects. Another set of changes involves the increase in the number of animations – the opponents will now dodge, fake hits and attack in a variety of ways. Next to the additional character animations we decided to add non-interactive cut-scenes to help us tell the story – a system of pre-directed movies and dialogues with an emphasis on unique and personalized character mimics/expressions. Add to that professionally dubbed actors and you’ll have a fully-fledged, living world to hop into.</blockquote>Gave up the turn based system? That must have been pretty easy.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>butsomuch</b>!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We ourselves would probable be the closest to calling The Witcher a ‘medieval’ version of Fallout, mainly due to two similarities – nonlinearity and mature world full of violence and eroticism
Eroticism? Wtf?! Anyway, medieval Fallout my ass.

We would not like to see the gamers bored with lengthy introductions, which by the way are the curse of most contemporary RPGs, that is why we’re putting the protagonist ‘in medias res’ – into the middle of the plot. Geralt wakes up with no recollection of the past, somewhere within the walls of an ancient witchers’ keep. Only to see it attacked by a bunch of mysterious thugs
Amnesia - check. A starting area being attacked - check. Mysterious thugs - check. Did all that shit come with the Bio engine or is that a part of that RPG Redefined (tm) thing?

Seven

Erudite
Yeah that's exactly what FO was about violence and eroticism. :roll:

I always hate it when cunts like these try to appropriate the FO name when they clearly have no grasp about what FO was about: Have they even played FO or are they just going on what they've read from newbs on their forums?

Kraszu

Prophet
We ourselves would probable be the closest to calling The Witcher a ‘medieval’ version of Fallout, mainly due to two similarities – nonlinearity and mature world full of violence and eroticism.

Yeah that's exactly what FO was about violence and eroticism. Rolling Eyes

I know english mostly from tv and even i can anderstend that similarities are nonlinearity and mature world (that is full of violance and eroticism).

FO world wasn't full of violance? Sex was prohibited? Don't be that catchy on words, he didn't meant that this would be an erotic game, rather that sex is not tabu in their world.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That's not what Fallout was about, and the guy's an idiot for saying that. That's just name dropping and nothing else. It's like saying that Witcher is like Diablo because there is a lot of violence in both games and they are both RT. There was no eroticism in Fallout. Well, except for skinning them Geckos, that sure was hawt!!!

If the guy doesn't speak proper English, which he does, he should have let someone else do the talking.

kris

Arcane
Kraszu said:
We ourselves would probable be the closest to calling The Witcher a ‘medieval’ version of Fallout, mainly due to two similarities – nonlinearity and mature world full of violence and eroticism.

Yeah that's exactly what FO was about violence and eroticism. Rolling Eyes

I know english mostly from tv and even i can anderstend that similarities are nonlinearity and mature world (that is full of violance and eroticism).

FO world wasn't full of violance? Sex was prohibited? Don't be that catchy on words, he didn't meant that this would be an erotic game, rather that sex is not tabu in their world.

the amount of sex/erotism in fallout is quite limited, especially in the first from what I recollect. Now tell me the RPG game where violence is not more than 50% of the game. In many it is 95% of the game, if anything it is less violence in fallout than the average RPG.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
They didn't have to play it, 'cause from what I've heard the Polish translation of FO was made by amateurs squatting around some forum or another - and it sure stinks. Judging by the names they've decided to unleash upon the poor, pauperized gamer (for instance, Vaults weren't Vaults anymore, they became Crypts - consequently Vault City was dubbed Cryptopolis), they never spent more than 15 minutes playing these games.

The only thing that managed to capture my attention in Teh Witchar were the (promised) excellent dialouges and (seemingly) interesting plot - and both of these seem to be more or less nonexistant from what can be seen in the interviews.

EDIT
As an afterthought - how there could be no eroticism in Fallouts? Take Fallout 2 for example - Neu Renault: the city is so arousing that it beats the crap out of gecko skinning. It has blackjack! And hookers! And forget the blackjack! And you can star in pr0n movies. And it fits the setting so well... ah, those mind-boggling desing decisions...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Somehow I still think this game will be fun to play. Perhaps it won't be a "hard" cRPG; I hope it'll be Sacred done better. There's a huge group of Sapkowski's (the author of the books) fans in Poland and I'm sure CDProjekt will do their best to please them. I think they'll want to achieve that by making a game with great combat. The Witcher is akin to a Polish Drizzt - I'm sure there are lots of ppl who just want to play the role of Geralt and generally just kick ass.
All we hear about the game is hype that's so full-standard, though...

Kraszu

Prophet
Nonlinearity is one of the most important thing in FO, the world was mature that are strong similarities.

Now tell me the RPG game where violence is not more than 50% of the game. In many it is 95% of the game, if anything it is less violence in fallout than the average RPG.

World in FO was full of violance, still that don't mean you have to fight whit everybady. World in PS:T was full of violance still you could avoid many violent situations.

kris

Arcane
PrzeSzkoda said:
EDIT
As an afterthought - how there could be no eroticism in Fallouts? Take Fallout 2 for example - Neu Renault: the city is so arousing that it beats the crap out of gecko skinning. It has blackjack! And hookers! And forget the blackjack! And you can star in pr0n movies. And it fits the setting so well... ah, those mind-boggling desing decisions...

That's not eroticism, it is a bit more straightforward than that.

Ps. New Reno ;)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kraszu said:
Nonlinearity is one of the most important thing in FO, the world was mature that are strong similarities.
I really don't think so. What does "mature" mean anyway? Hey, Diablo 2 was non-linear: You could retrieve the parts of the Horadrim Staff in any order iirc, which is totally non-linear, and part of the main quest so super-relevant. And just like Fallout, it's full of sidequests you can do in any order or ignore altogether. Diablo 2 is like Fallout Fantasy: Realtime!

In majority of the games such choices are restricted within the bounds of a good/evil axis, where eventually the ‘good’ is preferred. In The Witcher there is no ‘better’ solution – the consequence will be vital, consequence of the choices that become more and more dramatic and result in an arising difficulty of discarding the once-taken path. The very final, climactic outcome of the game will be a result of a number of choices made during the gameplay. It will be impossible to change one’s mind at the eleventh hour, as it took place in e.g. KOTOR.
That doesn't sound bad.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The Witcher said:
The gameplay has been entirely modified as well.
Does completely modifying the game-play in the game half-way through development ever bode well for the game in question? They've either only just started the game or they're screwed.

The Witcher said:
We’ve given up the turn-based system and implemented frantic and spectacular real-time fights enhanced with a range of graphical effects, like blood splattering on various surfaces (walls, floors), and ‘coup de grace’ bullet time effects.
Special effects hype: Check.

The Witcher said:
Another set of changes involves the increase in the number of animations – the opponents will now dodge, fake hits and attack in a variety of ways.
What I wonder is whether "fake-hits" (which I take to mean them pretending to slash you but then kicking you in the nuts instead) will mean anything. It's only going to be useful in-game if there are blocking abilities (I haven't read, so if there are, that's a good thing if not, then it's just meaningless hype).

The Witcher said:
Next to the additional character animations we decided to add non-interactive cut-scenes to help us tell the story – a system of pre-directed movies and dialogues with an emphasis on unique and personalized character mimics/expressions. Add to that professionally dubbed actors and you’ll have a fully-fledged, living world to hop into.
Non-interactive cut-scenes and professionally dubbed voice-overs do not, a living world, create.

Spazmo

Erudite
I suspect the professional voice overs will be spectacular in the Polish version. As for the English one... hmm.

None of it will matter, of course, because as soon as you run the game, you will be BLINDED by light bloom.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
PrzeSzkoda said:
They didn't have to play it, 'cause from what I've heard the Polish translation of FO was made by amateurs squatting around some forum or another - and it sure stinks. Judging by the names they've decided to unleash upon the poor, pauperized gamer (for instance, Vaults weren't Vaults anymore, they became Crypts - consequently Vault City was dubbed Cryptopolis), they never spent more than 15 minutes playing these games.

I thought the Polish word for "vault" was "krypta".

Kraszu

Prophet
I really don't think so. What does "mature" mean anyway? Hey, Diablo 2 was non-linear: You could retrieve the parts of the Horadrim Staff in any order iirc, which is totally non-linear, and part of the main quest so super-relevant. And just like Fallout, it's full of sidequests you can do in any order or ignore altogether. Diablo 2 is like Fallout Fantasy: Realtime!

There was side quest in diablo2? was thinking tahat you had to do every quest to go to the next chapter, or even if not there was few subquest.

In majority of the games such choices are restricted within the bounds of a good/evil axis, where eventually the ‘good’ is preferred. In The Witcher there is no ‘better’ solution – the consequence will be vital, consequence of the choices that become more and more dramatic and result in an arising difficulty of discarding the once-taken path. The very final, climactic outcome of the game will be a result of a number of choices made during the gameplay. It will be impossible to change one’s mind at the eleventh hour, as it took place in e.g. KOTOR.
That doesn't sound bad.

That's nonlinearity he was talking about in 2 part of interview, not diablo like nonlinearity, but something closer to FO.

GrudgeHolder

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
I thought the Polish word for "vault" was "krypta".

You thought right, SP... some :D
Alla them pesky languages seem to be chock-full of ambiguous words, which is what makes translating such a rewarding and tiresome job. A bank vault, for instance, is definitely not a "krypta", and my guess would be that the FO vaults were meant to be just such bank vaults for humanity. And how about... a pole vault? :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom