Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Rebuilding The Future: How BioWare Can Bounce Back

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare

Gamefront ponder how, after the recent hardships, BioWare may bounce back to glory despite the department of the BioDocs (and a lot of other talent). Snippet:
Few developers have enjoyed the shut-up-and-take-my-money adoration from fans that BioWare has during the bulk of its existence. Occupying a space somewhere in between Tim Schafer and Dan Hauser, the company’s every game was greeted with the kind of fervent enthusiasm usually reserved for fans of obscure musicians, except the fanbase in this case happened to number in the millions. While it’s very common now to hear people saying that they just ‘knew’ the company was doomed the second Electronic Arts bought it, the reality is that it was in the immediate aftermath of the EA purchase that BioWare released the games that will almost certainly be forever linked to its golden age, Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins.

Both games contained excellent RPG mechanics, vast, explorable worlds, riveting combat, thrilling adventure, and unique takes on genres (sci fi and fantasy) that have been dominated for decades by a couple of ossified, omnipresent aesthetic frameworks. However, the setting and gameplay weren’t what made fans care. What made BioWare matter to millions of gamers is that, despite heavy themes and bleak overtones, their games also wallowed in an inclusive, optimistic view of the human – or if you prefer, alien and/or magical being – experience that expressly advocated humanism, tolerance, inclusivity, and the simple idea that it might be possible to improve the world, no matter how awful we’re capable of being.

The Mass Effect galaxy is one in which strength comes from people seeing past their differences, from sharing cultures, and from doing everything possible to avoid violence (and considering this is in service to a game containing massive destruction, that’s saying something). Dragon Age: Origins presented the possibility of overcoming systemic racism, and even rising above the class divisions imposed by smaller-minded people. Both games presented a world with far greater romantic and sexual freedom than anything seen in mainstream video games before, with same-sex, interracial, even interspecies (sapient species, you sick sick person) relationships (and in DAO’s case, orgies. No, seriously.) And at their core, they contained truly moving stories about the power of friendship and family. Think Star Trek for an era when the culture of geeks is no longer seen as something lame and mockable, and you get the way BioWare fans felt about these properties.
They should re-release enhanced editions of their games imo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The idea of Bioware games as modern Star Treks in terms of their appeal is actually quite perceptive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mass Effect-centric (Gaider? Knowles? Never heard of them) history of Bioware: http://www.gamefront.com/the-history-of-bioware-infographic/

historyofbioware4.jpg

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
despite heavy themes and bleak overtones, their games also wallowed in an inclusive, optimistic view of the human – or if you prefer, alien and/or magical being – experience that expressly advocated humanism, tolerance, inclusivity, and the simple idea that it might be possible to improve the world, no matter how awful we’re capable of being

Ugh. God-Emperor, all that saccharine will make me puke.

"BioWare Victory", put in charge of ruining Command & Conquer

:what:

Not that EA left much to ruin after C&C4, but still...

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So the point of that article is that Bioware needs to go back to what their fan base wants.

Too bad their fan base sucks.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Jade Empire and success in the same sentence? Color me surprised and call me Sally!

Also, isn't it deliciously ironic that DA2 was released to "critical acclaim" and "critical success", only to receive huge fan backslash and rapidly diminishing sales? Tells you all you need to know about game "journalists".

Deleted member 7219

Well, Jade Empire was given a PC release. Typically developers don't bother to port games to PC that sold poorly on console.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights were crap, and Jade Empire was a great idea that missed the mark. Bioware hasn't been good since the Infinity Engine was abandoned.

Take away the lightsabres and KOTOR would have been a mediocre railroaded adventure with a predictable plot. You go against sith warriors wielding light sabres right in the start of the game. Once you kill them and search their bodies you find a few credits and that's about it. No lightsabres or other sith equipment. Most doors in towns were unopenable, and most equipment on screen could not be manipulated. Morrowind was an earlier game where your deceased enemies actually had the items they appeared with, doors were all useable and every item could be picked up. The only good thing about KOTOR was HK-47, an NPC.

Neverwinter Nights was the only RPG where I would have my rouge PC initiate a battle, then go and make Mac N Cheese since I knew it was going to take awhile. The NWN engine was horrible and melee combat sometimes took longer to resolve than in an actually PnP session.

Jade Empire had a great idea about making an RPG with eastern country and martial arts, but it seemed more focused as a dating sim than an RPG. Still, it might be the best Bioware RPG out of the three from this era. Even if the surprise ending was a pretty stupid twist.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
BioWare’s Renegade/Paragon system is an important innovation, so why not just use one of them to name your RPG division. Doesn’t EA Renegade has a nice ring to it? See, Problem solved.
This article is priceless. :lol:

MCA
While BioWare Montreal and BioWare Austin were created prior to the EA acquisition, their fullest fruition as developers within the BioWare family occurred in the years after. Both studios were at least founded specifically by BioWare, but since the creation of the BioWare Group, Electronic Arts has renamed Mythic Entertainment as ‘BioWare Mythic’, and Victory Games as ‘BioWare Victory’. The problem is that both studios are working on projects with potentially disastrous consequences for their namesake. Mythic is currently working on Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes, an MMORPG largely centered around PVP arenas. Meanwhile, BioWare Victory is currently working on the upcoming Command & Conquer, a multiplayer only, free to play facsimile of the venerable series.

If you were making a parodic film about games industry, ripe with overblown stereotypes and rampant idiocy, you still couldn't match the sheer amount of stupidity prevalent in the industry for real. "MMORPGS ARE THE SHIT LETS MAKE ONE!" "SHIT WHERES MAH PROFIT, BITCH! WHERES TEH MONEY! SOMEBODY HAS TO PAY FOR THIS! LETS FIRE SOME PEOPLE AND CLOSE A STUDIO!" "SOCIAL STUFF IS THE NEW SHIT, WE'RE SWITCHING TO SOCIAL GAMES!", "WHERES MAH MONEY, BITCH! GIVE ME DORRARS NOW!"

All the lowliest lowlife talentless underachiever scum of the earth are in the games industry.

MCA
The only good things I can say of them is that they spawned arguably the best looking RPGs (IE games), yet to be surpassed in ease of gameplay (angle of projection, UI etc. ) and quality of the backgrounds, which eventually led to a series of games on IE, including PST.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Bioware went full retard and is going down in flames. When it's done burning, I'll piss on the ashes. Poor biodrones, they want golden age dao and me back. Vomit inducing retards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom