Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Chaos Chronicles Development Blog: Group Combat

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Chaos Chronicles

The team behind Chaos Chronicles, that turn-based CRPG in the style of The Temple of Elemental Evil, has put up a new development update on their blog, which has to do with fighting enemy groups in a turn-based game:

In an earlier post (Combat System #1, Sep 03) that discussed the combat system, we admitted that we originally aimed for making a turn-based game. However, we also mentioned that other variants (esp. the RtwP combat of Dragon Age) were worth discussing and we spent some time doing so. We are grown-ups that make games in an industry that still mostly focuses on kids as customers. Most of us were still teenagers when turn-based RPGs vanished and made place for the new era of realtime. And even if the pros and cons sometimes come down to personal taste, we think that no one would argue one point: turn-based games tend to be less “action-packed”. It can grow annoying (especially in a less tight combat) to wait until all those goblins, kobolds, what-so-ever-minions have finally made their turn. Especially watching enemies moving is kinda boring and that’s why some TB games have sped up movement (e.g. animations) to the brink of sheer ugliness.

Players are eager to see their characters’ turns and they are also excited to see whether the enemy boss will kill their tank in his next turn. And while we all enjoy wiping out 20 goblins with a fireball, no one wants to see them all move and attack one after the other. In fact, some of us got often tempted to reload and see whether their wizard has a higher initiative this time to get rid of those little annoyances in the beginning of the combat.

ToEE tried to tackle this problem with a menu option that, once activated, would allow enemies within the same initiative group to move simultaneously. That turned out to create cool packs of hobbling and wobbling goblins but (as mentioned above) was not always beneficial: In a fight with a small number of semi-bosses that happened to be in the same initiative group (say, a giant, a werewolf and a demon) we would not only want to anticipate their attacks separatly but it also does look kinda unepic when these individuals make their moves together.

So we wanted to take care of the boring minions on the one hand without randomly grouping more epic enemies on the other. We straightfowardly decided to let our level designers choose which enemies should be grouped and which shouldn’t. The ‘minion mobs’ were born and we found them to provide additional advantages:

Rather than rolling the gobs initiative individually and grouping them up accordingly, we group them up beforehand and roll their initiative only once. This implies that a group of minions can not be ‘spread out’ over the initiative list and act individually (a case that the ToEE approach didn’t prevent). Also, we are going to try and give them some additional ‘identity’ exceeding the simple fact that they act simultaneously, by also tweaking their AI to stay together and attack the same target whenever possible. We think that might add to the strategic depth of our combat (and even if it won’t, it will still be more atmospheric). As an additional consequence, the player will be able to predict the a mob’s behavior to some extent. As far as we’ve implemented this (grouping and movement already looks good, but AI is still very basic) our idea feels great and we hope we’re well on the way to make turn-based combat a little more appealing regarding the pace.

We hope you enjoy our super-size-goblin-minion-mobs screenshot (more will follow soon) and we are, as always, looking forward to your comments!

9111.jpg

Thanks hoverdog

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A tried and true asset of Pen & Paper D&D - grouping mobs of monsters together in the same initiative. I'm glad these guys try some new stuff, and this is something I can get behind. There is a danger it might limit variety because more fights will look the same initiative-wise, but whatevs. It sounds like a good semi-solution to a classic problem with TB combat.

Also:

I. WANT. THIS. GAME. NOW.

Fucking A, brutha.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I want to remind everyone the trick they pulled with Back in Action...but fuck it...they're way to deep inn'it already :love:

MCA
What is it that they did with BIA? You mean RTwP?

I admit, when I read the first paragraph, I was ready to scream Fuck This Shit(tm), thinking they dropped TB in favour of RTwP.

kaizoku

Arcane
This mechanic looks kind of cool.

Like zerglings.
Few of them don't cause any problem. But when you have lots of them, and they all swarm in against one of you characters... ouch!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I want to remind everyone the trick they pulled with Back in Action...but fuck it...they're way to deep inn'it already :love:

Have you read the Codex interview? They reply to the BIA situation there. Take that for what you will.

I was ready to scream Fuck This Shit(tm), thinking they dropped TB in favour of RTwP.

Me too :lol:

"What trickery is this?!?" was my first reaction. Then I finished reading.

Great idea. If I have an issue with Turn based combat it's the start and stops of exploration with very weak encounters. Don't get me wrong I like weak encounters and think their an important part of gameplay but I just wish they'd go a little quicker sometimes.

Dorateen

Arcane
This! This is the reason I finally joined the Codex, when I first learned about Chaos Chronicles here. I believe this will be the best cRPG of 2013.

Having said that, I do have reservations about the grouped initiative and mini-mobs. It sounds like compromise, and I don't like compromise. Yes, true turn-based combat takes a long time to resolve. That's the way it's supposed to be! The fight in Sokal Keep from Pool of Radiance, just for an example, easily lasted more than an hour. Grouped mobs of goblin skirmishers and orc archers would create the same feel, the same tension and thrill of victory.

But I'll wait and see how this plays out in practice. (See, true turn-based players are gifted in patience.) By all measures, it still looks like Chaos Chronicles will be an excellent game.

Harumph!

quasimodo

Augur
I actually like watching every character take their turn, but this compromise doesn't sound too bad.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
A great idea. But please allow for speeding up animation as well :)
By keeping <SPACE> pressed while enemies' movement, the game is being accelerated by factor 5. But we try to avoid those situations whenever it's possible, for that reason we introduced the simultaneous movement (not attacks!) of minion mobs.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
What about a game option (with a slider or something) to set the animation speed?

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Here, a little preview of our next screenshots we will post soon. You see an exploding Fireball damaging undead mob:
CC_Oct2012_05.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom