Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher redefining CRPG Q&A at Firing Squad

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href="http://www.firingsquad.com/">Firing Squad</a> has posted up a <A href="http://www.firingsquad.com/games/the_witcher_interview_part_1/">three page interview</a> with <A href="http://www.cdprojekt.info/">CD Projekt</a> about their upcoming action CRPG, <A href="http://www.cdprojekt.info/">The Witcher</a>, based on the books written by some Polish dude. Here's a bit about how they're redefining the genre with their action CRPG:
<br>
<blockquote>We are trying to approach the idea of equipment and inventory in a way, that has not yet been seen in cRPGs. First and foremost, we decided that even a near superhuman character should not be able to carry 5 full-plated armors ;). That’s why the idea of equipping is unlike all you’ve ever seen. We have 5 main "slots" for the weapons (they can be sheathed or strapped to our belt). We can also change our garments, yet all the items we find can only by stored in a belt-sack. So, as you can see, our "collectorship" should only be aimed at the most precious items and elixir ingredients – so important for the Witcher. It is because of them, that the Witcher will be able to achieve supernatural strength and agility. As far as elixirs go, we’ll have a reasonable amount of freedom when mixing them together.</blockquote>
<br>
I'm pretty sure this has been done before. It's just that it doesn't go over well.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Taoreich

Liturgist
But Saint P's is (i)more succinct (ii)better defined as to what the news post is and what his editorial comment is

Deacdo

Liturgist
Is it just me, or does 200 animations not seem like that many anymore?

Vykromond

Scholar
This doesn't sound like such a bad inventory system. I don't know much about the game, and the interview is maddeningly vague, but if you're really a "witcher," it would make sense that you would collect elixirs and stuff for your abilities instead of Full Plate Hauberks, wouldn't it?

coaxmetal

Novice
why on earth limit the inventory when you can have it wide and spread like in Baldur's Gate ? Oh, you'll have room for seven full-plates, it's just that you won't be able to budge! :roll:

Complicated.

(Small inventory = less items we'll have to design and implement.) Dumbfuck !!!!1

merry andrew

Erudite
Deacdo said:
Is it just me, or does 200 animations not seem like that many anymore?
That seems like a lot to me if that's just for one character.

edit:
I get pretty annoyed at times with inventory systems that allow you to carry tons and tons of things, that's why I like magic bags and stuff. The inventory system alone makes me want to play The Witcher.

coaxmetal

Novice
accept limits today, you'll end up being limited yourself by tomorrow.

if that's a personal taste of yours, that's fine, but i like my inventory BIG. Sorry, but anything less than that just won't do.

Kraszu

Prophet
(Small inventory = less items we'll have to design and implement.) Dumbfuck !!!!1

Haw? You can take items you want just not all in one time.

merry andrew

Erudite
coaxmetal said:
accept limits today, you'll end up being limited yourself by tomorrow.

if that's a personal taste of yours, that's fine, but i like my inventory BIG. Sorry, but anything less than that just won't do.
Hi. In simulations I get off when they mirror basic elements of reality (such as not being able to fit 5 longswords and 2 fullplates and 50 potions and a rabbit and 20 scrolls in your standard backpack).

I just wanted to clarify.

coaxmetal

Novice
eh ? what has reality to do with rpgs ? i thought i wanted to do something i CAN'T do in real life.

or else i'd go fishing and making sandwiches or whatever in WOW.

merry andrew

Erudite
coaxmetal said:
eh ? what has reality to do with rpgs ? i thought i wanted to do something i CAN'T do in real life.

or else i'd go fishing and making sandwitches or whatever in WOW.
I admit I would probably not want to play a fishing or making sandwiches simulation.

If you don't see how rpgs (in fact, ALL simuations) have elements of reality in them, then I guess I'll leave that huge mystery open to you.

Kraszu

Prophet

But not necessary someting thast does not make sense, you don't want to use 2 bows at once, somebady also don't want unrealistic inventory.

coaxmetal

Novice
heh, maybe i'll want to use two bows at once. Heck, maybe this way i can grow four arms.

Groovy ;)

btw, if unrealistic=fun, i'll take it any day of the week.

merry andrew feel free to illuminate me on that simulation thingie. i didn't catch one bit. :o :) :idea:

kris

Arcane
I prefer realistic inventory. I never been a loot guy. ;) Now if enemies also could drop what they actually weared and fought with...

vrok

Liturgist
merry andrew said:
Hi. In simulations I get off when they mirror basic elements of reality (such as not being able to fit 5 longswords and 2 fullplates and 50 potions and a rabbit and 20 scrolls in your standard backpack).

Hello Sir. I get off on my RPG characters having visible genitalia when unclothed (so that I can pretend that the game is real because real people have genitalia, even Tetris has blocks that resemble male genitalia).

That would be both fun and realistic at the same time. Discuss.

merry andrew

Erudite
vrok said:
Hello Sir. I get off on my RPG characters having visible genitalia when unclothed (so that I can pretend that the game is real because real people have genitalia, even Tetris has blocks that resemble male genitalia).

That would be both fun and realistic at the same time. Discuss.
That's cool. I dunno if I've played a game where genitalia had much of an impact on gameplay, so I'm not really too concerned with that.

But yeah I can see if you're the type of person who has the most fun only when there's male genitalia in a game, then it's a pretty big deal.

coaxmetal said:
merry andrew feel free to illuminate me on that simulation thingie. i didn't catch one bit.
No way, I felt awesome when I figured that out. There's no way I'm taking that from you like that. No way.

coaxmetal

Novice
coaxmetal said:
merry andrew feel free to illuminate me on that simulation thingie. i didn't catch one bit.
No way, I felt awesome when I figured that out. There's no way I'm taking that from you like that. No way.

You know what ? You' re right. I'm feeling better already.I never actually had a huge mystary opened to me like that before.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
merry andrew said:

How about flopping over dead when you get hit by a sword for the first time? Woohoo! Go reality!

merry andrew

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
How about flopping over dead when you get hit by a sword for the first time? Woohoo! Go reality!
What elements make it into the game are obviously selective.

And yeah, I'd play a game like that, if only to learn how to block and dodge and such so that I might be able to make it through a fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom