Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Antharion, New Indie Turn-based RPG on Kickstarter

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Antharion; Orphic Software

The folks at Orphic Software write in to inform us they're working on an "isometric old-school turn-based party-based RPG set in an open fantasy world." The game is called Antharion and is currently on Kickstarter, asking for a modest sum of $15,000.

We wanted to combine an immense open-ended living-breathing world, where the player is free to go anywhere and do anything, with a deep tactical turn-based combat system, a rich skill set and character creation system, an insane amount of content and the distinctive feel of an old-school RPG - all while staying true to the genre's roots. Our game stands out because it actually does look, feel, and play just like an authentic old-school RPG.

Features
  • Open World: Go anywhere and do anything in Antharion’s vast open-ended living-breathing hand crafted world.
  • Turn-Based: Antharion features a deeply satisfying tactical turn-based combat system beneath a sleek and intuitive interface.
  • Party-Based: Create and control a party of up to 4 characters. Choose each of their races (each race with it's own characteristics) and customize all attributes, skills and equipment.
  • Epic Story: Antharion features a dark and mysterious world of magical mystery and political intrigue.
  • Meaningful Decisions: Save the kingdom and become revered or destroy it and become reviled. In Antharion your actions matter and are reflected tangibly in the world around you.
  • Freedom: The world of Antharion is fully interactive: go inside of every room of every building, open every drawer and steal any item. Explore over 100 dungeons ...all at your leisure.
  • Magic: 3 schools featuring 45 unique spells.
  • No Level Scaling: Antharion does NOT scale loot or monsters.

$15 gets you a copy of the game. For more information, visit the game's Kickstarter page or the official website.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Well, I hate how they 'slide' all together, but everything else looks and sounds fantastic. No level scaling: just for this feature The Codex should be all over it. I am in.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Awesome, only thing that bugs me is the way the characters look - kinda seems out of place.

Well, I hate how they 'slide' all together, but everything else looks and sounds fantastic. No level scaling: just for this feature The Codex should be all over it. I am in.

Yes, it would be nice to position them before combat begins.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Aside from a few gripes like the sliding or massive heads, it looks okay. If I have some spare money to spend, I don't have a problem with chipping in $15. It's an open world turn based RPG with zero level scaling. Why not?

MCA
I have to admit, it looks like a banal Spiderweb Software derivative with terribad character art. I have the entire catalogue of Spiderweb Software on my backlog and not intending to add any more of the same type any time soon.

For now.

visions

Arcane
I don't like how the characters look. I am not a graphics whore as such, meaning that I have no problem with barebones visuals as long as things don't stand out as unpleasant (like in KOTC for instance the visuals are barebones but nothing stands out as unpleasant) but here the cartoony characters do kinda stand out as such. Also, furries.

Open world and party based sounds great of course but I doubt I'll pledge on these qualities alone. The tactical in "tactical turn based combat" could mean anything and solely the fact that it's turn based doesn't get me particularly excited. I do like how they promise over 100 dungeons, even though most of them will probably be small-ish.

Create and control a party of up to 4 characters. Choose each of their races (each race with it's own characteristics) and customize all attributes, skills and equipment.

Mentions races but not classes, I wonder whether it'll be classless then. Also, I wonder whether the races will be the usual fantasy schlock.

Looked around on their site, monsters and animals look fine, it's the characters and npc's that could look better. They could at least have smaller heads.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I dislike the character style a lot, and they do not fit the background, like at all. Probably won't pledge.

Overboard

Arcane
There are better options out there, but I'll keep an eye on it for updates.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Wow, this looks awesome. Yes there is no animation, but otherwise it looks brilliant. :)

Not a fan of the world art style though (buildings/houses look meh) But unlike the shit churned out today, you can actually enter buildings and explore them!! And do that without seeing a single loading screen!! :)

wormix

Augur
We'd also like to port Antharion over to the iPad which will cost even more money.
Noticed that from the KS page.

The art style doesn't sit well with me, and I doubt the story is any good which leaves combat, and the video doesn't fill me with hope in that regard. Character system looks very basic.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The character graphics really don't bother me at all and I must say that I enjoy the scenery ones and the pov. Pixelart is fun. Lack of animations is a bit lame, but I can live with it. Spells and combat as shown I also enjoy. Everything else is pretty much an unknown at the moment but for 15 euro I'm willing to take a gamble at a turn-based rpg. It has that whole Eschalon and Knights of the Chalice feel to it and I do like me some oldschool dungeoneering.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Luckily I don't have to think if I should pledge or not, as Amazon recently stopped processing my KS pledges correctly (my credit card company's answer: 'deal with it'). Good thing Obsidian still offers Paypal options on their site.

Lord Andre

Arcane
KoTC clone without d&d - it will be as good as spideweb games as in suck just as much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom