Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project: Eternity - Probably the Most Complete Info Guide

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

Taluntain dropped us a little note that sorcerers.net has been gathering info on this project and have an extensive thread that details a lot of information gathered so far on Obsidian's Project Eternity.

If you are looking for a good collection of information on what is known so far on Project Eternity give this a read:

The Official, Unofficial, BoM Project Eternity Information Thread!

Thanks Taluntain!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That guy should be a part of the codex evil adventuring party. He constantly breaks into your stronghold.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
That guy should be a part of the codex evil adventuring party. He constantly breaks into your stronghold.
he should be a village peasant who is constantly knocking at your door asking for a tour of your castle.

a neeber/noober character...with options to throw him in your dungeon or hire him as your pig shit farmer.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Heh the stalker himself.

Marceror said:
Well okay. It's actually a little embarrassing actually. On Friday morning Obsidian included this post on their Kickstarter site:
Quote:
Over the next five days we have a lot of fun things planned to wrap up the Kickstarter campaign. First, crowdfunding and Kickstarter has allowed us to open up our doors to you, literally. Today you can spend a few hours with me at the Obsidian Office, and you will get an inside look into a development studio. Check out what an atypical day is for me at the office (running the Kickstarter is pretty atypical for a game developer). I promise to wear pants!
Emphasis added by me.

I read this post while I was rather exhausted, after working 16-17 hour days all last week to meet a major deadline. I didn't notice that at the end of that post was a schedule of events, some of which included a "livestream" link next to them. Maybe if I had been less tired I would have realized that the livestream link was most likely an indication that Obsidian's comment about literally opening their doors was just poor wording on their part (they actually meant they would open their doors, virtually).

I also thought it strange that they included no address, but I'm resourceful enough to find that. At the end of the day, they are only 30 minutes away from me, and I needed some fresh air after delivering on my deadline at work. So, I hopped in my car after the lunch hour, and drove to their office. I had no problems getting into their parking lot. The parking attendant was very polite, in fact. I had no problems getting into the lobby of their building (it's a large office in Irvine CA, shared by numerous companies). I easily found that Obsidian was in suite 200 by looking at a large legend in the lobby. I went up to floor 2, and sure enough, I was looking at their reception area. I was already feeling a lot like a stalker at this time, as there was absolutely nothing to indicate that Obsidian was expecting company, but I had come too far just to turn around.

The receptionist, not surprisingly, had not heard about any public invitation. I showed her the Obsidian post on my iPhone, and she seemed to agree with my interpretation. She made a couple of phone calls. I'm not sure who the first was to, but the second was to Darren Monahan, their CIO and one of their founders. I heard him laugh as (I believe) he reread the post I was talking about, and soon after the receptionist simply apologized, telling me that a literal visit hadn't been their intent. Given no other option, I turned around and left.

I was angry, frustrated and embarrassed at my experience. When I got home, I proceeded to share about it on the Kickstarter site. As you might expect, I had a number of people backing me up and saying that it was shameful of Obsidian not to at least come out and say hi to me, and a number of people who were flaming me for not understanding the intent of the post to begin with. After about 15 minutes of fairly heated chatting back and forth (much like a bar fight, my "supporters" and my "opponents" began arguing with each other), Darren Monahan popped in and apologized, and invited me to come back next week for a tour with Adam. Shortly after that I believe Feargus (he's the only one who doesn't sign his name when he posts using a shared Obsidian account on KS) also chimed in that he was sorry about what happened, and that he was looking forward to having me come by.

Once Darren and (most likely) Feargus said their peace, all the Kickstarter posters were happy, agreeing that Obsidian is a great company to take care of a fan like that, even a misguided one.

So I just need to contact them with some proposed times next week and see what we can work out! This will be far cooler than what I had originally expected, as I never thought I'd get this sort of 1 on 1 attention. If I end up doing it, I'll certainly share about it.
biggrin.gif

Tal runs with some crazy people over at SP.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Heh the stalker himself.

Marceror said:
Well okay. It's actually a little embarrassing actually. On Friday morning Obsidian included this post on their Kickstarter site:
Quote:
Over the next five days we have a lot of fun things planned to wrap up the Kickstarter campaign. First, crowdfunding and Kickstarter has allowed us to open up our doors to you, literally. Today you can spend a few hours with me at the Obsidian Office, and you will get an inside look into a development studio. Check out what an atypical day is for me at the office (running the Kickstarter is pretty atypical for a game developer). I promise to wear pants!
Emphasis added by me.

I read this post while I was rather exhausted, after working 16-17 hour days all last week to meet a major deadline. I didn't notice that at the end of that post was a schedule of events, some of which included a "livestream" link next to them. Maybe if I had been less tired I would have realized that the livestream link was most likely an indication that Obsidian's comment about literally opening their doors was just poor wording on their part (they actually meant they would open their doors, virtually).

I also thought it strange that they included no address, but I'm resourceful enough to find that. At the end of the day, they are only 30 minutes away from me, and I needed some fresh air after delivering on my deadline at work. So, I hopped in my car after the lunch hour, and drove to their office. I had no problems getting into their parking lot. The parking attendant was very polite, in fact. I had no problems getting into the lobby of their building (it's a large office in Irvine CA, shared by numerous companies). I easily found that Obsidian was in suite 200 by looking at a large legend in the lobby. I went up to floor 2, and sure enough, I was looking at their reception area. I was already feeling a lot like a stalker at this time, as there was absolutely nothing to indicate that Obsidian was expecting company, but I had come too far just to turn around.

The receptionist, not surprisingly, had not heard about any public invitation. I showed her the Obsidian post on my iPhone, and she seemed to agree with my interpretation. She made a couple of phone calls. I'm not sure who the first was to, but the second was to Darren Monahan, their CIO and one of their founders. I heard him laugh as (I believe) he reread the post I was talking about, and soon after the receptionist simply apologized, telling me that a literal visit hadn't been their intent. Given no other option, I turned around and left.

I was angry, frustrated and embarrassed at my experience. When I got home, I proceeded to share about it on the Kickstarter site. As you might expect, I had a number of people backing me up and saying that it was shameful of Obsidian not to at least come out and say hi to me, and a number of people who were flaming me for not understanding the intent of the post to begin with. After about 15 minutes of fairly heated chatting back and forth (much like a bar fight, my "supporters" and my "opponents" began arguing with each other), Darren Monahan popped in and apologized, and invited me to come back next week for a tour with Adam. Shortly after that I believe Feargus (he's the only one who doesn't sign his name when he posts using a shared Obsidian account on KS) also chimed in that he was sorry about what happened, and that he was looking forward to having me come by.

Once Darren and (most likely) Feargus said their peace, all the Kickstarter posters were happy, agreeing that Obsidian is a great company to take care of a fan like that, even a misguided one.

So I just need to contact them with some proposed times next week and see what we can work out! This will be far cooler than what I had originally expected, as I never thought I'd get this sort of 1 on 1 attention. If I end up doing it, I'll certainly share about it.
biggrin.gif

I can easily get why he thought they're inviting people to visit them if he'd been working that long hours, and is one damn lucky guy to get the tour. I'm kinda jealous.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'd feel awkward as fuck unless I was with a group, specially after that whole episode. But yeah, maybe he'll get to see some WIP PE stuff.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Screw Eternity and it's homosexual RTwP combat. Grimoire is getting Kickstarted indie gogo'd.

I suggest all Codexians withdraw their Eternity pledges and donate that dough to Cleve instead. :incline:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Screw Eternity and it's homosexual RTwP combat. Grimoire is getting Kickstarted indie gogo'd.

I suggest all Codexians withdraw their Eternity pledges and donate that dough to Cleve instead. :incline:
Yeah, that way maybe we can play the game in 2020.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Interesting overall.
Do we know for certain if the barbarian will use a rage class type feature?
It specified aggression and prone to exhaustion.
Still, I'd like to see them do something a bit different than the standard DnD berserker that pollutes so many games.

Marceror

Novice
I glanced through it. They revealed the Dwarf companion's name, so it's not 100% updated.
http://eternitywiki.com/Sagani
I find that few things in life are 100%. ;) But yeah, in the wake of my 75+ hour work week I managed to miss the VG Revolution interview with Josh Sawyer for a few days. I actually DID update Sagani's name last night in the "Companions" section of my guide. I neglected to update the caption next to some game art, which is likely what you saw today. I updated that too this morning, however.

I'm definitely prone to missing details here and there, so I appreciate when anyone takes the time to point out any such omissions! I have been averaging 3 - 5 updates per day, so feel free to check back and look at the update log to see if anything new has been added.

Cheers!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've heard that RPG Codex is opening it's doors for a tour of the office. Has anyone heard anything about this?

:rpgcodex:

Marceror

Novice
Heh the stalker himself.

I'm not going to try and claim that I'm not crazy, but I don't believe that my wanting to meet some of my gaming heroes is proper evidence that I am! ;)

kaizoku

Arcane
People take tours of Valve office all the time.
Valve?
fuck those losers

Pretty funny story about the noober dude.
It's cool that he will have the opportunity of chillaxing with Obsdian another time.
Maybe he can teach Adam play IWD :smug:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I would love to chillax at Obsidian. If I was ever to visit California I would definitely do some inquiries.

Or I could just act like a stupid fuck-up and go there anyway and get a tour the next week.

grotsnik

Arcane
Well, since Marceror's heading back for a real tour around the Obsidian offices soon, he'll be the perfect inside man to abduct MCA for the Codex and imprison him in some kind of sick love dungeon filled with webcams make a few sensible suggestions on this site's behalf.

Marceror

Novice
I would love to chillax at Obsidian. If I was ever to visit California I would definitely do some inquiries.

Or I could just act like a stupid fuck-up and go there anyway and get a tour the next week.

You're just a peach, aren't you. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom