Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #20: Screenshot! Lore! Stronghold and Another Big City!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

And here comes the long-awaited update #20 for Obsidian's Project Eternity Kickstarter. It contains some lore tidbits, new stretch goals (a stronghold at $3 Million and another big big city at $3.5 Million), and a screenshot! Also, a Campaign Almanac is announced. Have a snippet:

Big Ol' Stretch Goals

You've asked for big stretch goals, and we're finally ready to give you some. These are mighty stretch goals, ones we're confident that a lot of people will enjoy but we know require serious funding to do well.

$3.0 Million - Stronghold

At $2.0 Million, your support funded a player house. Inspired by features like The Sink found in Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blues, the house is a convenient place to store gear, interact with companions, craft items (thanks to the $2.4 Million stretch goal), rest, and buy and sell from special merchants. Some of you wanted something that went beyond the standard player house, allowing you to take control of a full stronghold and its surrounding lands. Well-done strongholds provide players with the ability to make large scale changes, undertake special quests, customize the contents of the stronghold and the surrounding environment, and engage in light strategic gameplay between adventures. If we hit $3.0 Million, we will build a stronghold worthy of the title!

$3.5 Million - Big City #2

Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. Spanning multiple large maps with a ton of interiors, characters and quests, big cities are a lot of fun. Like strongholds, they also take a lot of work to do well. We're going to have one big city in Project Eternity. Would you like two? If you take us on an exciting adventure to $3.5 Million, we will take you on an exciting adventure to another big city.​

Now about that screenshot...

Environment Screenshot

Project Eternity's team of crazed environment artists have been working hard on developing our first environment for the game. Early on in the Kickstarter campaign, we told you that we wanted to make maps the Infinity Engine way. That is, we wanted to build 3D levels, render them out as 2D images, and then have our artists paint in beautiful details, highlights, and color-tweaks before they went into the game. Looking back at the levels some of us worked on for Icewind Dale, we were still thrilled with the quality that we could achieve with this approach. For Project Eternity, we're using 10 years of improvements in rendering technology and hardware to get the job done, but we still love what we can do the "old-fashioned" way. We hope you share our enthusiasm.

For the full update and the higher resolution screens, head over here.

Zeronet

Learned
That's exactly how i hoped it would look. I do miss game backgrounds that look as beautiful as that. 3D environments can suck it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
svef - Svef is the Aedyran name for a potent narcotic produced from the berries of small shrub that grows in the dry, distant mountains of Tal Kness. Svef produces hallucinations and, according to some, allows users to actually see their own soul. The narcotic was introduced to the Aedyr long ago, but it is used more frequently in the Dyrwood due to its heavy trafficking by Vailian merchants.
Hey I posted something like that on the Obs board. Hooray for drugs!
Edit; oh yeah it was an idea for a NPC.

The screenshots look great by the way. I can imagine the chirping in the woods and the sound of the waterfall. Can't wait to see it in motion with characters and interface.

Esquilax

Arcane
They'll reach $3.5 million for sure. Project Eternity has already outpaced Double Fine Adventure at this point, so I'm confident they'll reach the goal with some left to spare. I'm predicting somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3.7 million.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They'll reach $3.5 million for sure. Project Eternity has already outpaced Double Fine Adventure at this point, so I'm confident they'll reach the goal with some left to spare. I'm predicting somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3.7 million.

Exactly my thoughts, especially after paypal is accounted for.

St. Toxic

Arcane
It looks really nice, but glancing over the full-res version I get the feeling that there's a perspective discrepancy. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but there's something about the top half vs the bottom half that makes them look as somewhat separate entities.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
$900K in 5 days? Not gonna happen. :oops:
2db5uet.jpg

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I believe that in the end I am a graphix whore. They'll have my money. And I love the tons of updates. Marketing GALORE!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The truth is that we have no idea how well this Kickstarter will do on its final days. It depends on how many new pledgers out there can be persuaded to join in.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
sheet, i have to admit that i actually like that screenshot. Reminds me a lot of Baldur's Gate, and i am a huge nostalgiafag...

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh my god that screenshot is *fucking beautiful* brings a tear to my eye, and that $3.5m goal sounds so good, would also mean that it will beat Double Fine if reached.. exciting last couple of days !

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
How do they animate all this stuff in 2D ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom