Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Dragon Age 3 Editorials

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age III: Inquisition

It seems Dragon Age III: Inquisition, the 3rd part in BioWare's Dragon Age series and direct successor to Dragon Age 2, has been announced recently when I wasn't looking. Some people took the opportunity to share some thoughts.

The koalition has little hope for DA3:
Bioware’s writers which includes the awesome David Gaider gave us a truly epic tale with an unlimited amount of depth when they created Dragon Age: Origins. The main plot saw us take part on an epic journey to vanquish the Darkspawn and slay the Archdemon – the build up to the end was so engrossing that it became immediately obvious that this would be a hard game to top.

Dragon Age 2 proved us all correct, with the story instead focusing on some of the additional themes that the first game presented instead of being a full blown follow up. The way Dragon Age: Origins ended left us with so many questions that we all felt the urge to troll Bioware on their community forum after finding out the sequel would answer none of them.

From what we know so far about Dragon Age III: Inquisition there seems to be a number of ways that Bioware can spin the story back in the direction we desire. But will they? The fact that they swayed the story in the second game leads me to believe they’ll have to account for those events specifically in the next game, more-so than the first game. I highly doubt whether Bioware will neglect to fall back on the events of Kirkwall, seeing as DA2 likely sold more than Origins did. Also, judging by how Mass Effect 3 turned out we can’t be too optimistic.

Then there's ex-BioWare employee Brent knowles who shares his thoughts on what BioWare might have learned from the Dragon Age 2 receiption.
I don’t believe this announcement is just lip service, to placate the fans. Everybody working at BioWare wants to make great games. The problem is that the definition of great varies vastly, not just among the fans who will play the game but even within the studio. There’s a constant push and pull, a tug of war between this idea or that idea. Clearly there has been acknowledgement from BioWare over the past few months that they may have been pulled too far in one direction.

This realignment won’t be easy. It also has to be recognized that Dragon Age 2 sold well (and given its hurried development, probably was not an expensive game to make when compared with the first; hence it was probably more profitable) and many gamers enjoyed it. There may in fact now be two fairly differing audiences that will have be served. Doing this in a single title is incredibly difficult and I don’t envy them the challenge.

Anyways, in my opinion, BioWare has listened and has learned, but has a very challenging time ahead, to build a game that will satisfy their wide audience.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Bioware’s writers which includes the awesome David Gaider gave us a truly epic tale with an unlimited amount of depth when they created Dragon Age: Origins. The main plot saw us take part on an epic journey to vanquish the Darkspawn and slay the Archdemon – the build up to the end was so engrossing that it became immediately obvious that this would be a hard game to top.
:what:

Israfael

Arcane
Ugh, whatever in fact... They forgot to add Hepler in the 'awesome' list
:codexisfor:

I never played the biotrash aka all mass effect games and DA2, so i will wait until the reviews hit the fan and then see ...

Angthoron

Arcane
When saying, "Wide audience", is Knowles taking a jab at the landwhale fanbase?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
It will definitely be interesting to see how this plays out. My guess is that regardless of how horribad the game is, it will still sell like hotcakes - besides the forever alone dating sim demographic, there is still a surprising amount of suckers gamers who are willing to give Bioware "just one more chance".

Bioware sounds like an abusive spouse at this point. "I'm sorry baby, I know I fucked up - it'll be different this time, I can change!"

Micmu

Magister
15cac8d1_747a_4de9_946b_543379d551f9.jpg

catfood

AGAIN
:what:

When I read shit like this I wonder if the person who wrote it actually believes this shit. Part of me wants to think it's just marketing speech, but part of me... man.. I don't know what to say.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
...they created Dragon Age: Origins. The main plot saw us take part on an epic journey to vanquish the Darkspawn and slay the Archdemon – the build up to the end was so engrossing that it became immediately obvious that this would be a hard game to top.

You have got to be shitting me...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brent Knowles' fans sure do love him:

I'm back. Had a lot of things I wanted to say but I'll try to keep it short.

Brent, you're gifted. Not only that but you're dedicated and productive. I spent some time at one point with an entrepreneur who told me he looked for a single quality when hiring people. Enthusiasm. He said the word defines itself; En means within, and thus or thuse is taken from theos, or god -- roughly, carrying god within. He said people with enthusiasm invariably inspire others and make things work.

I've read a bit of what you're written here. And I've felt your footprints in some BioWare games I've played. I believe your management capabilities are, simply put, special. Just as you are managing your own time and talents in your life of writing to successfully promote producing something real, with quality and value, I firmly believe you brought that same result to other individuals, and to BioWare teams in the past. You helped and inspired others to produce at their best, I got games I love. Individuals on your teams found a bit of themselves that became more than just a dream in games they helped create; games they will always be proud of.

Somewhere on this, or your other, blog, there used to be some comments on why you left BioWare. Maybe it was just in an answer to someone's post. But I think those comments are gone now, perhaps disappearing when you dropped your other blog on software for writers.

From what I recall, you made brief but meaningful comments about the costs of game development and the abiliy of game companies to both produce great games and pay employees a salary commensurate with their contribution. As I recall, the result was an unsolvable equation. My impression was as you left BioWare, you understood their needs and decisions, and they understood yours. Both parties felt a void, but neither blamed the other. Things are as they are.

You probably know where I'm going with this; if not, you probably wish I'd go on and go there. <grin>

There have been interesting developments in game development just over the past few weeks. The equation has changed.

There's a new game out, Torchlight 2, that's being offered on Steam at a price of less than half the price of a typical AAA game even though the developers say it falls within that category. The developers say the $19.99 price is "as viable and profitable" as selling the same game as a $60.00 box game. They have no publisher cost, meaning they'll make a greater profit from each $19.99 sale than they would have from each $60.00 sale under the old system. See http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/1...

There's also Obsidian Entertainment's Project Eternity currently on Kickstarter, which reached its initial goal of $1.1 million in just over one day. The game seeks to revive the classic PC RPG. Obsidian was shocked at the positive financial response on Kickstarter. In essence, they're finding that they're able to fund development costs without a publisher, based on game "pre-ordering" achieved by Kickstarter. Here again customers get the game at a much lower cost -- $25 -- with the developer getting sufficient profit to make the project a "go".

You have the skills, experience, and reputation to make this work for you, and a team of talented and lucky individuals. It's a special time.

You may, or may not, have already reached your answer how these developments might impact you long before I started writing this. But I saw a couple of hints on your blog, that you spirit might wander to the land of game development from time to time. You said you started replaying a strategy game from long ago. You also wondered whether your children were maturing to a place where they need fewer hours of your days.

You've got a writing career that's working, and is likely to get better exponentially as a function of time if you keep at it. (That's just how growth curves work, once past the early 'failure' stage, and you're past that.) Then there is still your family; less time for them, whether you'd have to move etc.

Thing is. You have truly incredible management talent and skills. You are capable of building the answer to the questions and opportunities however you can conceive it in your mind. You're as special as the heroes central in your games and stories. You might for example build your own game company a mile or two from your home. (If you build it, they will come.)

And what of the future? Potentially great environment for starting a game company today. But what happens in 5 years? 10 years?

If you go that route, your management talents will take you and others across all of those bridges. There will be survivors no matter what the changes. If you build it and stay at the helm, it will survive.

I believe you'll be successful on whatever path you walk. I think we'll all benefit one way or the other, (games, stories, novels, movies); but I'd love to play another of your games.

Thanks and Best Regards.

Steve B

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked DA2's new art style and the overall templars vs. mages story idea. Too bad they fucked everything else up.

With kickstarter creating a lot of tactical RPGs the "well what the fuck else am I gonna buy" factor won't be there for DA3. They better improve it a lot of they want my gold.

Statik

Educated
2039532146_HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
maybe EVEN with Hamburger Helper... who knows what they are planning for $3M stretch:troll:

My bet is that with Trent and Gaider they would reach 5-6 million...

they should add them! they could use trent's beamdog to milk the ee-tards gain jewgold through their digital distribution and gaider could write some quests/npcs which are cut before release.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Let's hear it for Bioware everyone, aren't they just trying their hardest?" :roll:

The amount of mulligans Bioware has been issued at this point is getting kind of silly.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"When saying, "Wide audience", is Knowles taking a jab at the landwhale fanbase?"

L0L

"Stopped reading there. They can't even be bothered to do basic fact-checking."

Which article claimed that/ The only one of the two that mentioned DA2 sales was Knowles and all he said IIRC was that DA2 sold a lot and sicne it was likely cheap and quick to produced it wa shighly profitable. I don't think he ever said it sold MOREn than DA1.

Anyways, that first article is retarted. DA2 is just as good as DA1. They both ahev strengths and weaknesses. I'd give the SLIGHT edge to DA1.

We'll see about DA3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"When saying, "Wide audience", is Knowles taking a jab at the landwhale fanbase?"

L0L

"Stopped reading there. They can't even be bothered to do basic fact-checking."

Which article claimed that/ The only one of the two that mentioned DA2 sales was Knowles and all he said IIRC was that DA2 sold a lot and sicne it was likely cheap and quick to produced it wa shighly profitable. I don't think he ever said it sold MOREn than DA1.

Anyways, that first article is retarted. DA2 is just as good as DA1. They both ahev strengths and weaknesses. I'd give the SLIGHT edge to DA1.

We'll see about DA3.

Are you blind?

I highly doubt whether Bioware will neglect to fall back on the events of Kirkwall, seeing as DA2 likely sold more than Origins did.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Oh, that's why i missed it. That's from that moran's article who was slobbering over DA1 so I skimmed his bullshit and got to the real dude's artcile. Though in his retarted defense he does put 'likely'. Heh.

Real Dude wrote: "It also has to be recognized that Dragon Age 2 sold well (and given its hurried development, probably was not an expensive game to make when compared with the first; hence it was probably more profitable) and many gamers enjoyed it."

All of which is indisputably true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom