Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Xcom gets the Rock Paper Shotgun treatment

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Enemy Unknown; Firaxis; Rock Paper Shotgun; Xcom

Alec Meer's been playing it for a bit now and presents his review on Rock Paper Shotgun. He seems to have enjoyed himself quite a bit.
The story is that I love XCOM, I’m so glad it was made and I expect to be playing it and replaying it for a long, long time to come. There are things, big and small, I would change or don’t see the reasoning for, but it all-told it does so much more than I ever thought possible, both in terms of resurrecting XCOM’s core values and making a turn-based strategy game with high-tech, 2012, thrilling presentation.

This isn’t a matter of a starving man grateful for the slimmest of pickings. XCOM is a bounteous strategy/roleplaying feast, and I’m not particularly dismayed that a couple of the side-dishes taste a bit suspect. It’s a triumph that XCOM even exists, so that it’s also bloody brilliant and thoroughly modern with it excites me to introverted core. X-COM’s tiny, precious world has seen many unwelcome invaders over the years, but trust me – this one comes in peace.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RPS liking and praising a shitty game (gotta be friendly to those publishers paying for your ads on your site). Will wonders never cease.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Payment finally arrived?

Disabled Adblock for a second.

untitledtzp0h.png

I guess you could say that....

Black

Arcane
gets the Rock Paper Shotgun treatment
What does that even mean? Looks to me it translates to "gets a sloppy blowjob from RPS"

I mean, is this the RPS treatment:
JnSen.jpg

?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
He was downright apologetic in his tone for the demo, something seems dodgy as fuck with rps and this game.

Generally I love RPS but they seem to have gotten way too involved and probably close with this game and its developers. Dunno.

IIRC from Brother None(?), he vaguly hinted at that when sites have publisher ads, they sign an agreement that they post "generally favorable" reviews on a site.

Black

Arcane
He was downright apologetic in his tone for the demo, something seems dodgy as fuck with rps and this game.

Generally I love RPS but they seem to have gotten way too involved and probably close with this game and its developers. Dunno.

IIRC from Brother None(?), he vaguly hinted at that when sites have publisher ads, they sign an agreement that they post "generally favorable" reviews on a site.
Can't trust him, he works for GameBanshee.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I think you missed my point. Yes, I am aware BN works for Gamebanshee AND they have Publisher ads.

Micmu

Magister
RPS stands for Retarded Piece o'Shit

Nothing is better for credibilty than massive game ads (whole site is one giant ad, basically) then write an 11/10 review about that game.

X-COM’s tiny, precious world has seen many unwelcome invaders over the years, but trust me – this one comes in peace.
:retarded:
Fuck your peace. [cocks shotgun]

Black

Arcane

I think you missed my point. Yes, I am aware BN works for Gamebanshee AND they have Publisher ads.
He's from Netherlands or something, can't trust him, man.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The problem with the gaming review industry is that publishers have their cocks shoved down these so-called "reviewers'" throats, and that the majority of 'reviewers' aren't critics, something which is necessary for anyone filling a spot as a reviewer for any medium.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If BN is from Netherlands, that automaticly makes him a BRO. Ah....the Netherlands, the home of legal weed and whores. :roll:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Wow you guys are so fucking edgy. Fuck the man, and these corporate shill game journos sucking off these focus tested AAA titles. Hold on I just need to throw thousands of dollars at these developers who promise to make old school retro games that appease our nostalgic wet dreams.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
1) How faithful is Firaxis’ remake to the original X-COM?
2) Does it work as its own game, not just piece of nostalgia?
3) Hey, is Shakira single?

1) It’s complicated 2) Yes indeed 3) I’m afraid you’ll need to battle footballer Gerard Piqué for her affections.
Stopped reading there. Given the Shakira joke and question #1 and its answer, I figured this would be filled with lame attempts at humor and blatant weaseling out.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A lot of reviews, German and English ones are available by now. And most claim the game to be pretty awesome, capturing the essence of the originals pretty good, actually.

Has anyone here actually played it and can say at least something useful about why it sucks, contrary to like... all the other magazines?
I mean, usually, praise by magazines means shit when we talk about your usual console title, Medal Of Honor 5242, Battlefield 3, bla... But this is a turn-based strategy game that gets lots of praise.

MCA
RPS said:
Verticality is primarily of use to snipers, who gain bonuses if on higher terrain as well as often having a larger field of vision. Sniper-specific armour offers grappling hooks with which to reach different levels. Some maps – for instance, the forest setting used for assaulting crashed UFOs – have very little in the way of verticality, which can make using snipers a mildly frustrating matter of forever shuffling them forwards, while others positively depend on it. The larger scale UFOs have a second level which you’#ll want to get snipers up to asap, while Terror Missions often see aliens murdering civilians on the second floor, so you’ll need to hot foot it up there quickly. But, all told, there’s a lot less multi-height combat than in the original game. Again, this is about pushing a front-line forward more than it is scouring an environment.

So much PRspin for console-centric retarded design. "YO WE MUST PUSH THE FRONTLINES DAWG!". Moron. Also sucks that classes are locked. Gimmicky puzzle shit. A console kid's Commandos. I'd rather have each skill and piece of equipment separate and available to everyone so if if I wanted, I could just equip my heavy weapons troops with grapplers and rain death from above whenever possible. This is outright console shit with arbitrary restrictions. Fuck this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom