Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone loves interviews - another one over at IndieRPGs

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Chris Avellone; Planescape: Torment; Project Eternity; South Park: The Stick of Truth; Wasteland 2

Another interview with Chris Avellone, this time over at IndieRPGs. Topics covered include Planescape: Torment, Project Eternity and Kickstarter, Wasteland 2, South Park: The Stick of Truth and more.

Given the outpouring of interest in Project: Eternity, do you see Obsidian continuing to make games in the classic Infinity Engine style?

Yes, as long as its viable to do so – considering the success the Project: Eternity Kickstarter has had, I don’t have much doubt that players want them and are willing to support them. We’ve certainly always wanted to make games like that, it’s just been hard to find a business model that allowed us to do so. Then Kickstarter came along and everything changed.

Why real-time with pause; why not turn-based combat? How do you respond to critiques like this one from the CRPG Addict?

It’s how Infinity Engine combat is set up, and we’re fine with it if it makes it feel more like an Infinity Engine game.

Are you familiar with any of the work being done on RPGs in the indie space? Have you seen anything there that interests you?

Mostly the more prominent titles (Grimrock, Age of Decadence, Bastion, and more). All of them have interested me, and I don’t confine the indie research to just to RPGs (example: I like some games that tell a story rather than a play experience, like Dear Esther). I love all the Chinese Room games and am eagerly awaiting Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.​

I don't understand how this man has time to write and design games when he's doing all these interviews.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That one was't bad.

I think Codex should create a Planescape Of Interview, if it's goin for one. Like, completely abandoning banal interview questions and placing them from toes to head; maybe starting the whole thing with "Will there will be GIRRZZ? We like GIRRZZ! White girls, black girs, asian girls, demon girls, robot girls, even dead girls, if you know what we mean, MCA (wink wink)". (Yeah, copied from Marvel vs. Capcom shamelessly).

MCA
He is a bro for mentioning Age of Decadence.

Vault Dweller, I know you really aren't thinking about doing a Kickstarter but if you did, I think Obsidian or at least Avellone would back you up, generating more attention.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Age of Decadence doesn't need a Kickstarter for money. It needs a Kickstarter for Steam Greenlight votes.

He's doing too many interviews, just like Sawyer is interacting with people on the internet too much. Chris Avellone is a key figure in both Wasteland 2 and PE, so how the hell does he get time to do all of these as well?

scarletguard

Educated
I'd love to hear Avellone's answer that was asked of him and Drew Karpyshyn: "When Saul Karath bombed Telos, who ordered him to do so? Was it Malak or was it Revan" There are apparently conflicts in the dialogue. I now wonder if the conflicts are intentional - or if Karath blew up Telos on his own initiative.

For the record, Drew Karpyshyn answered with: "Yikes! I don't like to comment on things that don't have an official answer - could come up later in a book, game or comic."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's doing too many interviews, just like Sawyer is interacting with people on the internet too much. Chris Avellone is a key figure in both Wasteland 2 and PE, so how the hell does he get time to do all of these as well?

Many Kickstarting devs have admitted that they spent almost the entire Kickstarter period just doing PR stuff. Although in Obsidian's case I think it's mainly Sawyer and to a lesser extent Cain who are that busy.

It's getting obnoxious, like when Brian Fargo made like 25-30 different interviews, repeating the same things over and over. Sometimes less is more.
Those interviews aren't for you. They're for less dedicated people who may have missed the 24-29 previous ones.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
You guys know we can't do it even if we wanted, right?
Of course you could. Unless it's some Torque license agreement thing fucking you.

It's getting obnoxious, like when Brian Fargo made like 25-30 different interviews, repeating the same things over and over. Sometimes less is more.
That's one reason why we're holding off Codex interviews with them for now.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
You guys know we can't do it even if we wanted, right?
Of course you could. Unless it's some Torque license agreement thing fucking you.

He probably refers to none of the people on the main dev team being American citizens.
it for sure is not that hard to overcome. Eisenwald is belarussian, Carmageddon guys are from UK (Scotland I think?) and that didn't stop them. Of course it does take a bit of work, but it's not impossible.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it for sure is not that hard to overcome. Eisenwald is belarussian, Carmageddon guys are from UK (Scotland I think?) and that didn't stop them. Of course it does take a bit of work, but it's not impossible.
exactly. just have an american be your KS/bank proxy.

Endemic

Arcane
Carmageddon guys are from UK (Scotland I think?) and that didn't stop them. Of course it does take a bit of work, but it's not impossible.

Actually Stainless are based in the south (Isle of Wight). Helps that they're the exact studio (no reformations or anything) that made the rest of the Carmageddon series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom