Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #14: Music with Soul

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Justin Bell; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Obsidian Entertainment's composer Justin Bell offers a new update on the Project Eternity Kickstarter. This one doesn't have to do with cooldowns, or level scaling, or classes, or mega dungeons, or other grognardy things. That is to be discussed in Josh Sawyer's update scheduled for tomorrow. Instead, this update is all about music! And soul. And music with soul:

We’ve gotten many requests for more details about the game's music, so in this update we'll discuss our current plans for that. There's also a surprise buried deep within the update for all you music lovers out there, so read on to find out what it is!

Music with Soul

Souls, the supernatural, a fantasy setting, mature themes... These are just a few of the big ideas behind Project Eternity's story and world. As with any great CRPG story, music plays an important role in communicating those ideas. This was true for the Infinity Engine games as well. Looking back they all had one thing in common with regards to music: all are known for having strong and memorable soundtracks that drew you in as a listener and set fire to your imagination. That's exactly what we're aiming for with the music for Project Eternity.

So what will the music sound like? Great question! Describing music with words alone can be a tricky thing to do because so much of that is subjective and wide open for interpretation. Even still it's important to have some sort of plan in place before writing a single note. You need an idea that will guide you towards creating an effective score. To help paint that picture more clearly, here are three words that we believe best describe what the score will ultimately sound like:

Mystical

Ancient

Emotive

Now you might be wondering, out of all the possible descriptive words, why these three? The answer to that goes right back to those big ideas mentioned above.

We chose mystical because of the importance of souls and the supernatural in Project Eternity's world. Ancient because we want the music to be grounded and appropriate to the setting. Emotive because the role of music in any game is first and foremost to provide dramatic and emotional context for the player. At the end of the day, that's what we want out of Project Eternity's score. We want you to be swept away by the music and the imagery it evokes. By keeping these three descriptive pillars in mind while developing the score, we’ll be able to support and enhance the narrative goals of our game.

Of course these three words are not all the music will ultimately be. It'll also be adventurous, ethereal, and wondrous when appropriate. Ominous, dark, and mysterious when called for. Scary and horrifying at just the right moments. And yes, driving, bold, and colossal when absolutely necessary.

Along with defining what we do want the score to sound like, there are also some things we know we don't want it to sound like. It won't be overly heavy or oppressive, nor will it be bombastic and grandiose from beginning to end. We want the score to be as dynamic and nuanced as the story it serves, and the last thing we want to do is weigh that story down with leaden music.

As you can see Project Eternity's music will be many things when all is said and done. But perhaps most importantly, its music will have a unique and original voice that we hope will leave a lasting impression, the same way the music of those awesome Infinity Engine games did in the past.

The Road to Eternity

Making the Project Eternity campaign video was the result of an inspiring collaborative effort here at Obsidian. Adam Brennecke, Dimitri Berman, and I worked on it day and night for nearly a month; doing what we could to make the strongest first impression possible. To help accomplish that, I knew I wanted the music to make a powerful statement right out of the gate. I wanted it to grab your attention and keep you mesmerized until the final seconds of the video.

Suffice it to say that when I wrote this music, I never could have imagined the overwhelmingly positive reception it has since received. The support you all have shown Project Eternity and Obsidian has been a stunning, and deeply humbling experience.

Music in the Clouds

And now for the surprise. Since we launched our campaign we've gotten many requests to make the trailer music publicly available. As a huge "thank you" to all of our amazing fans and supporters, we're happy to announce today that the music from the trailer is now available on Sound Cloud for your downloading and listening pleasure. Prelude and Dirge are directly from the video, and Road is an outtake that is partly used in the video. We hope you enjoy it…

http://soundcloud.com/obsidian-entertainment/sets/project-eternity/

If Project Eternity sang the blues, would you listen? Would you, Codex?

Original update here.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think they have the perfect composer for this project. It invokes a BG and IWD like... presence.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I especially like the subtler touches, like the atmospheric bells, the harp...
It's fantasy, but feels already more medieval than BG.

kaizoku

Arcane
It sounds like he'll be able to do a great job.
Although it would have been nice for him to have shared a new, and different music (maybe a combat theme). It would give a better picture of what he can make for the game.

Now if we only had Justin Sweets doing the portraits for the game...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Although it would have been nice for him to have shared a new, and different music (maybe a combat theme). It would give a better picture of what he can make for the game.

Did you listen to all THREE songs?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Nice stuff, even if those picks are a bit on the atmospheric side. What about the bone crunching songs of slaughter? Variety is the king.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

Did you listen to all THREE songs?

None of them are new. The kickstarter video is a mix between the three.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Really like those, no wonder they want him to do the score for the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As a musicfag in games, I approve of this good shit. But they are not great. I hope the composer can come up with even better stuff.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Wow, this music is generic epic shit.
Seriously, Obsidian, come up with something better.

This. It's as BSB as it gets, so I don't see any reasons for hype. But we're on the kkkodex, dragon age & mass effects as GOTY ftw so yeah. People of refined taste are gathered here, after all.

UnknownBro

Savant
So then, Soule is in this or not?... if he is not then this project is souless... :troll:

Meh, underwhelming. There's a lot of different sounds going on but the songs never really come together with an identifiable melody or theme, don't make me feel much of anything.

Hopefully these three tunes are just ambient stuff, and the finished game will have some memorable tracks like the Astral Plane, TOB theme, Bhaalspawn Battle or Rebuilt Jedi Enclave. What else has this Justin Bell guy done besides the Dead Money song? Having trouble finding a list of what he's worked on.

The music is decent. Nothing innovative or special. Uses staples of the genre and borders on slightly cheesy. Doesn't really make me feel anything other than...this is well done fantasy music...which imo is meh.

Mark Morgan's Wasteland tune gave me a second of goosebumps and imo, is superior, though obviously different genre. Wish it was Mark Morgan or whoever did the music for Arcanum. Arcanum's music was repetitive after awhile but god damn was it unique, interesting, memorable and compelling at points.

Maybe he will break out of generic for the game. Either way notadealbreaker.jpg

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Soz had awesome music. WTF is that guy and seriously hope jeremy soule gets an arrow in the ear. Fuck that losre"^%$^&#&9

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Besides an unnecessary cymbal clash or two, I thought it was rather good. I hope there's some non-orchestra type of music in the game as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom