Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Project Eternity: New Interviews with Josh Sawyer and Tim Cain

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity; Tim Cain

Two new Project Eternity-related interviews have showed up. First, Gamasutra offers a narrative interview with Josh Sawyer entitled "Project Eternity: What it really means to make the game you want to make":

Sawyer recalls a particular element of 1992 MicroProse RPG Darklands, whereby interactions were only subtly illustrated via text against loose watercolor illustrations. The images were enough to suggest key elements, but it was the text that carried the imagery.

Older games with technical limitations had to get very creative about how to immerse players and capture their imaginations, says Sawyer, since they didn't have the option to be literal -- and that's something Obsidian wants to keep in mind through the old-school visuals and interface of Project Eternity.

And when it comes to the idea that today's audiences don't like to read text, or that communicating a story through prose rather than through gameplay automatically represents some kind of narrative failure, Sawyer isn't sold. The idea that all players should like the same things, or that players can be segregated into "ones that like story" and "ones that like combat" seem equally fallacious to him.

"This has been bugging me a lot lately," he says. "In the past few years there's been a trend toward designing games with mechanics for people who don't like those mechanics, and it blows my mind... I look at a lot of mechanics, like 'hey, let's write dialog for people who don't like to read!' You were writing with the assumption that they do want to read some of it, right? If people don't want to read, why are we writing? And if people don't like combat, why do you have combat in it?"​

And then there's also a Tim Cain interview at gamrReview:

Surely one of the main advantages of using Kickstarter instead of working with a publisher is that you can see how people react to the idea you have. Does this serve to drive the team on in a unique way?

Tim: Yes indeed. On almost any game funded by a publisher, we are not allowed to talk about the game and its content until we are almost about to ship it, at which point it is almost impossible to make any serious changes. With Kickstarter, we are free to talk about the game during all the stages of its development. We have a better idea of what features are important, and the fans can follow the game's development and be more involved with it.

You’ve talked about how you are looking forward to making an M rated game. Is this because you believe RPGs are becoming more and more sugar-coated - if that’s the correct phrase to use - or is it purely a personal ambition?

Tim: I think it's more of the former. Modern RPGs avoid real ethical questions and instead focus on storylines with black and white morality. They provide villains who are evil and have no redeeming virtues, and the player is forced to destroy them. If there is anything mature about them, it's their use of language and sexual situations. That's not what we mean by "mature".

We want to explore deeper issues like what happens when cultures clash, when ideologies are questioned, or when individuals have their rights trampled. We want the player to tread into the murky grey areas between black and white, and we want them to have to make decisions that will affect their characters, and maybe the player will think about some of these issues in their real lives.

While Project Eternity is about taking RPGs back to their roots, will you be looking to change things up and tweak that classic formula at all?

Tim: Certainly we plan to make changes. We are not the same designers that we were five, ten or even twenty years ago, and we want the game to reflect that. Besides, there are some rough edges around all of the games we are being inspired by, so we plan to make some improvements along the way. As long as we keep to the spirit of those earlier games, we will be happy and we hope you will be too.​

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Certainly it's possible that dialog that's too long or requires editing could be a problem for some players, and a balance always needs to be struck, and proper pacing always needs to be employed. A system like Mass Effect's, where players are rewarded with XP for reading lore, strikes Sawyer as a little odd: Players that enjoy lore will read it anyway, and players that don't like reading lore will quickly flip through as with any other chore just to get the points -- and still won't read it.

Generally the audience for the Project Eternity style of game does like to read, and appreciates a rich base of lore as well -- and the Obsidian team will focus on those players, rather than make adjustments for a perceived modern audience that is presumed not to want certain features.

FNTVc.gif

"It's just about managing a lot of competing expectations, and sometimes it can be overwhelming because you see so many divergent opinions," says Sawyer of the communications challenge. Some players will chime in and say they adore everything about the old Infinity Engine games -- except those core design tenets that identified them.

He's been reading the Obsidian forums. :lol:

"It's hard and sometimes it's frustrating," he admits. But the team tackles the communication challenge by keeping the discussion high-level, and being sparing about specifics -- that way they're always being truthful, but offering a vocal and conflicted userbase fewer bones to pick.

Mrowak

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Certainly it's possible that dialog that's too long or requires editing could be a problem for some players, and a balance always needs to be struck, and proper pacing always needs to be employed. A system like Mass Effect's, where players are rewarded with XP for reading lore, strikes Sawyer as a little odd: Players that enjoy lore will read it anyway, and players that don't like reading lore will quickly flip through as with any other chore just to get the points -- and still won't read it.

Generally the audience for the Project Eternity style of game does like to read, and appreciates a rich base of lore as well -- and the Obsidian team will focus on those players, rather than make adjustments for a perceived modern audience that is presumed not to want certain features.

FNTVc.gif

"It's just about managing a lot of competing expectations, and sometimes it can be overwhelming because you see so many divergent opinions," says Sawyer of the communications challenge. Some players will chime in and say they adore everything about the old Infinity Engine games -- except those core design tenets that identified them.

He's been reading the Obsidian forums. :lol:

"It's hard and sometimes it's frustrating," he admits. But the team tackles the communication challenge by keeping the discussion high-level, and being sparing about specifics -- that way they're always being truthful, but offering a vocal and conflicted userbase fewer bones to pick.

Mrowak

You miss the point of my earlier deliberations. I do not complain that they don't talk about it enough. I am having the problem with them not giving us anything substantial whatsoever. Something tangible, something we could look and say: "This is some serious shit". It's all pandering, dropping names, recycling the same old shit (Update 10) - nothing of value - a typical Bioware campaign, if you will.

When Josh says "being sparing about specifics" I get the impression he won't talk about them, simply because he doesn't know them yet - they don't have a plan, as proved by the blasted stretch goals.

Edit: I have the feeling that before every update Josh has come out straight from brainstorming sessions with a few keywords jotted in his notepad and he goes from there. Brainstorming is fine, but it should have taken place before the damn campaign so that they really, really know what they are making. Else there's the issue of resource distribution between goals: if you don't know what you are doing, how do you know how much it is going to cost and how much time it will consume?

Dorateen

Arcane
I don't get the train of thought that says "We're going back to the roots of the Infinity Engine games... but we're going to do some things different to bring them up to modern standards." So now it's more about simply reflecting the "spirit" of those classics. Where have I heard that before.

Again, I think this is a way to appease those players who would otherwise be intimidated by a true hardcore recreation of the IE adventures, and trying to bring them on board for this project.

I respect Obsidian and will give them the benefit of the doubt, but this kind of talk from the Cain excerpt is troubling.

Harumph!

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Again, I think this is a way to appease those players who would otherwise be intimidated by a true hardcore recreation of the IE adventures, and trying to bring them on board for this project.
Why worry about, weather a spiritual successor of IE games will be "harcore", dwarf? FFS, IE wasn't so harcore in the first place.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They said something about a screenshot. I want to see that shit before the end of the campaign.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
They said something about a screenshot. I want to see that shit before the end of the campaign.

They might be saving that for after Kickstarter campaign...remember the backlash what Two Guys from Andromeda got for their WIP tech demos.

Dorateen

Arcane
Why worry about, weather a spiritual successor of IE games will be "harcore", dwarf? FFS, IE wasn't so harcore in the first place.

Compared to todays' next-gen cinematic interactive movies that are trotted out as "RPGs" for the masses, the IE games were hardcore enough for me.

If someone could direct me to the next Gold Box or Wizardry kickstarter project, sign me up! Until then, I'll cherish the fond memories I had with Icewind Dale and its like.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
GB games were not anyn mroe ahrdcore than the IE games. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
GB games were not anyn mroe ahrdcore than the IE games. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.
I don't know, man. Unlike Gold Box, IE gameplay was rooted deep in (then popular) RTS genre, which rubbed me the wrong way from day one. I endured, rather than enjoyed the combat, although some fights in some games ( dragons and Kangaxx in BG 2) still managed to be fun despite all the odds. The games themselves were still good as a whole, but their combat system was lacking to say the least.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
We're talking hardcore not fun. If you find GB combat more fun than IE combat so be it and can't be argued. But, that doesn't make it more fun.

Afterall, I find JE's combat more fun than Arcanum's combat but Arcanum's combat is more hardcore.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Well, Arcanum's combat is just unbalanced, not terribly hardcore per se. Harm = win. That's all you need to know about that game. Nothing hardore at all.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Well, Arcanum's combat is just unbalanced, not terribly hardcore per se. Harm = win. That's all you need to know about that game. Nothing hardore at all.

It's probably hardcore for Volourn.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Well, Arcanum's combat is just unbalanced, not terribly hardcore per se. Harm = win. That's all you need to know about that game. Nothing hardore at all."

I didn't say it was hard. I said it was more hardcore. Dumbass. HUGE difference. Arcanum's combat was pretty easy.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
So, oh Volly the Smartass, can you tell me, what is it that makes Arcanums combat more "hardcore" compared to say the combat in BG2 or say JE? Mind you, i'm not mocking you, or anything, i just want to know, what makes the entry level higher in your opinion.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

They might be saving that for after Kickstarter campaign...remember the backlash what Two Guys from Andromeda got for their WIP tech demos.

Perhaps. But I really want to see that screenshot ...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So, oh Volly the Smartass, can you tell me, what is it that makes Arcanums combat more "hardcore" compared to say the combat in BG2 or say JE? Mind you, i'm not mocking you, or anything, i just want to know, what makes the entry level higher in your opinion.

*giggles*

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"So, oh Volly the Smartass, can you tell me, what is it that makes Arcanums combat more "hardcore" compared to say the combat in BG2 or say JE? Mind you, i'm not mocking you, or anything, i just want to know, what makes the entry level higher in your opinion."

You can't figure out why ARC combat is more hardcore than JE combat on your own? Are you FUKKIN' kiddin' me?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom