Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #10: Characterization with Chris Avellone

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

In the latest Project Eternity Kickstarter update, Chris Avellone talks about "birthdays, gratitude for fan gratitude, his one really @$!$ messy desk, and some extrapolation of characterization in Project Eternity," which is supposed to be a follow-up to this blog post he wrote earlier.

Next Project Eternity update should be coming this weekend.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Pandering, copy-pasting what he published before, nothing substantial yet again, and that "wobbly cam".

I am disappoint MCA. :1/5:

:mca:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I am also a bit disappointed, but about the companions. I hate the part where he says that the characters are here to make the character feel special and to support emotionally. The best character for me were: Ignus, Vhailor, Mira, Kreia, HK-47 and etc. They were in the game not to felicitate you...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am also a bit disappointed, but about the companions. I hate the part where he says that the characters are here to make the character feel special and to support emotionally. The best character for me were: Ignus, Vhailor, Mira, Kreia, HK-47 and etc. They were in the game not to felicitate you...
Yes that part was really retarded. I don't understand why did he tell this when he rarely designed characters like these in his games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think he's using a more generalized definition of "ego-stroking" here. It's not "in-character" ego-stroking as in SHEPARDS YOU ARE THE SAVIOR OF THE GALAXY I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES.

It's "ego-stroking" in the abstract meta sense of emphasizing the PC's place in the universe.

Or maybe I'm wrong and MCA has gone full Gaider, but I doubt it.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It's ego-stroking in the abstract meta sense of emphasizing the PC's place in the universe.

You're right, he said it several times already. Nothing to be afraid of.

And MCA playing with the camera is just a convenient way not to show his hangover face.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
It's "ego-stroking" in the abstract meta sense of emphasizing the PC's place in the universe.

That's the other part I don't give a shit about. I personally like my companions to have their unique and interesting motives and distinct personalities. I however, doubt that PC will be special like Sheppard, but I would like my PC to be ordinary or even weaker for a change.

Esquilax

Arcane
That's the other part I don't give a shit about. I personally like my companions to have their unique and interesting motives and distinct personalities. I however, doubt that PC will be special like Sheppard, but I would like my PC to be ordinary or even weaker for a change.

I don't believe that. You want that "ego-stroking" stuff that Avellone mentioned because it shows that the game reacts to your character, and that your character is doing something important in the world. That's totally different than the implausibility of having an entire galaxy full of people who have no idea how to fight the Reapers... except for Shepard.

All of this "Chosen One" stuff is utter bullshit, but you don't want to play a character who isn't remarkable in some way. You want a PC who is special in terms of their abilities/skills/whatever, nobody would play an RPG where the PC is some random dickhead who doesn't do anything cool.

I'm kinda disgusted by the tone of BioWare's dating simulator self-esteem boosters, but I don't want Seinfeld: The RPG either.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Chris -- STOP taking fish oil tablets. Yes there are omega-3 fatty acids. No they don't help you unless you eat them in REAL FISH. So save the money you are wasting on supplements and buy a nice fillet of salmon.

Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands
All of this "Chosen One" stuff is utter bullshit, but you don't want to play a character who isn't remarkable in some way. You want a PC who is special in terms of their abilities/skills/whatever, nobody would play an RPG where the PC is some random dickhead who doesn't do anything cool.

Ah. Life, the RPG. Is this on PC or is it a shitty port too..?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom