Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ask Tim Cain about Project Eternity on Reddit

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity; Tim Cain

There's a thread up on Reddit for submitting questions to Tim Cain for an upcoming Q&A. He will answer them in Saturday's Kickstarter update.

The most upvoted questions are the ones that will be answered. So even if you haven't got any questions yourself, you can still take part in fun democracy (and downvote all the shitty romance questions).

akPXG.gif

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If anyone has any questions they want answered by Obsidian, post them in this thread and Crooked Bee will take care of it. :)

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I posted this one on Reddit but Bee can use it for the Codex exclusive interview which I totally believe is happening.

What sort of magic system will you be using? Vancian (D&D), mana based, cool-down timer or another type?
Along those same lines is the magic system going to be skill based (you get better by using skill points) or class based (you get better by going up levels)?
Basically can you tell us anything about the magic system.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
By going with Kickstarter over a publisher, you're freed from many limitations. Other than making a isometric game for PCs, is there anything you are planning on putting the game that would make a publishing executive faint at the prospect of?

Black

Arcane
Ask him why he thinks we'll step down to reddit's levels.

upvote pls

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
One of the features of Fallout I most enjoyed was that most quests had multiple solutions available. Depending on your skills or your demeanor, you could choose to solve them with combat, stealth, dialog, or even by utilizing your surroundings. Will project Eternity provide such options ?

Kz3r0

Arcane
What does he think of people here that will not play the game because they think that is going to be too much Politically Correct?

Will be there the possibility to play with a low intelligence character a la Fallout/Arcanum?

Deleted member 7219

What made him decide to come back to Obsidian? I love Obsidian, but for a while it seemed like he was going to go and do something completely different, like Boyarsky and Anderson (although Anderson is working on Wasteland 2).

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is the Kickstarter campaign ment to set a definite budget for the game and will it be treated as a separate project from other Obsidian projects, or will it be able to access Obsidian funds on top of the raised money (possibly as a load, to be payed back after release). Also, how would he feel about Pop Cain's Fruit Stand.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
What made him decide to come back to Obsidian? I love Obsidian, but for a while it seemed like he was going to go and do something completely different, like Boyarsky and Anderson (although Anderson is working on Wasteland 2).

He never left.

To give a short overview.

- Leaves NCSoft early/mid 2011 (i think)
- Thinks about what he's going to do next
- Has a regular lunch with Chris Jones (who worked both on Fallout 1 and on Arcanum at Troika before going back to Black Isle)
- Chris says to Tim that he though Cain was happiest programming the engine for Fallout 1 and subsequently the beginning of its development.
- Tim decides to join a small start-up
- They can earliest employ him Mid-2012
- Jones offers Tim a job at Obsidian during the down-time
- Cain joines Obsidian as a senior programmer on South Park. Likes the projects and people he sees.
- Tim is undecided if he should stay at Obsidian or leave for the start-up.
- Tim decides to stay in February/March 2012 (Possible influenced by the kickstarter possibility. That's my speculation though)

Edit: And Anderson isn't working on Wasteland 2. He's at Turtle Rock. He did do the initial storyline and publisher pitch though while he was at Inxile.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will boxed version of Project Eternity only be available for Kickstarter pledgers, or will we be able to buy it after release too?

also:

Do you plan to release other language versions (like Polish, Hungarian or Russian) of Project Eternity through local publishers?

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Will boxed version of Project Eternity only be available for Kickstarter pledgers, or will we be able to buy it after release too?

there will be no boxed version, only digital distribution. this was confirmed right from the start.

Semper

Cipher
there's no publisher an boxed copies and retailers would be too expensive, that's why digital distribution is a must for a developer while using kickstarter. there was also a comment from feargus about this at kickstarter, stating that there will be no boxes besides the ones made for backers.

made

Arcane
yea ok, you edited that in after I posted

pretty stupid if that's their plan; box costs what, couple dollari to print? might as well make a batch of 10k, demand will be there

Semper

Cipher
the box is cheap, but shipping costs. retailers want their share and they have to provide webspace for patches and so forth. not speaking about callbacks or other shit because of a wrongly labeled box... digital distribution is way more relaxed and easier to handle for a developer who doesn't have the needed manpower or the budget. btw exclusive boxes are there to encourage people to aim for higher tiers.

made

Arcane
That's why they cost 40 bucks more than the digital version + shipping. No doubt it's a hassle but... the prize!

Even AOD will have a boxed version afaik.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That's why they cost 40 bucks more than the digital version + shipping. No doubt it's a hassle but... the prize!

Even AOD will have a boxed version afaik.
That's what I'm holding out for. As soon as VD comes out with a boxed version, I'll be like :takemymoney:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom